Dynasty 200dx - Poor bead on aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lramberson
    The code for HF start not working is " It does not work" no need for a trouble code logically. I.

In the case of the Dell motherboard (not trying to throw gas on the fire) the pc's still work although erratically, with difficulty starting and random rebooting. I opened my dynasty last night and the caps had the same markings as the failed dell boards
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Laurence, the internet is great for conveying facts, and it sucks for conveying emotion. Liberal use of smiley's is always a good idea when in doubt

Comment

No argument from me.
        I would still be a few year back if not for the help I have received from the Members of this site.
        As a matter of fact giong to play the DX200 an a aluminium patch that just walked up.

Comment

Just to clear the air...

I have extensively used a Lincoln 275, 175, a Hobart 250, several miller TIG's icluding an older Syncrowave 250(?) and last year a Dynasty 300 and my own Dynasty 200. My Dynasty 200 on 1/8" aluminum was the same as the 300. They both performed awesome, until maybe 40+ hours on my 200, then the A/C went to ****. I have tried everything that has been recomended by Miller and several of their service centers. The service center tech informed me he had two previous Dynasty 200's with the same symptoms as my 200.

At the same time these problems occured, my machine started that weird squealing/buzzing sound. I have heard this on other older inverters, although mine did not make this sound new and neither did the Dynasty 300 I used everyday for over a month. Could this be a sign? Miller says no.

I will agree aluminum TIG is difficult to master, however I found the 'invertor' easier to dial in, especially with the more focused arc. In my case, my 200 has 'changed' and it is not me. I've TIG welded for years and do not consider my self a 'novice', out performing several TIG only welders in the industry. If I didn't live on an Island I would simply drive down the road and rent a machine to send pictures to Miller to prove I have a legitimat complaint, however this invloves 4 ferry trips costing $300 and two days of my time with travel. I don't believe I should swallow that. I have been tryin to get in touch with my welding supply rep for the past two days to see if he can line a machine up. I still havent heard back.

I came on this forum last fall and read the praise about Miller's products. I wanted to be sure about buying new equipment and its performance as I have always had 'red' machines and experienced grief with getting parts/warranty problems. I knew I was moving back to the Island and did not want problems like before. I still think Miller is the best, I just find it hard to believe they haven't helped me, yet. I personally think my machine has a 'balance' problem. Adjusting the balance from 70-90 does not appear to do anything. I remember it being very sensitive out of the box.

-Brian-
          Midland Welding & Fabrication LTD.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Hypertherm 380 Plasma
          Air Liquide M200 MIG

Comment

Originally posted by 2JZfan
            Laurence, the internet is great for conveying facts, and it sucks for conveying emotion. Liberal use of smiley's is always a good idea when in doubt
            Ha ha so true so true

Comment

Brian, I will say this, "If I had your problem the machine would be in its box going back in for service or Back to Appleton."
              I am not familar where your located, but if it's broke it's broke. Miller has the best warrenty and that is fact, it will repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by brisland
                At the same time these problems occured, my machine started that weird squealing/buzzing sound. I have heard this on other older inverters, although mine did not make this sound new and neither did the Dynasty 300 I used everyday for over a month. Could this be a sign? Miller says no.
                Ok, stop the presses. Are you saying you had a dynasty 200 that was dead silent and only when it got flaky did it start making these noises? Both of my dynasty's have made crazy buzzing noises at all times, regardless of whether you are welding or not. As you push the control panel buttons to switch modes, etc., the sounds change, its really bizarre. Then when you shut the machine off, the sounds "wind down" over a course of 5-10 seconds. Again, quite weird, but I had just written it off as "that's what inverters do". So again, you are saying that before the troubles your dynasty didn't make any of these sounds??

ps.

Comment

Originally posted by brisland
                  Just to clear the air...

I have extensively used a Lincoln 275, 175, a Hobart 250, several miller TIG's icluding an older Syncrowave 250(?) and last year a Dynasty 300 and my own Dynasty 200. My Dynasty 200 on 1/8" aluminum was the same as the 300. They both performed awesome, until maybe 40+ hours on my 200, then the A/C went to ****. I have tried everything that has been recomended by Miller and several of their service centers. The service center tech informed me he had two previous Dynasty 200's with the same symptoms as my 200.

I will agree aluminum TIG is difficult to master, however I found the 'invertor' easier to dial in, especially with the more focused arc. In my case, my 200 has 'changed' and it is not me. I've TIG welded for years and do not consider my self a 'novice', out performing several TIG only welders in the industry. If I didn't live on an Island I would simply drive down the road and rent a machine to send pictures to Miller to prove I have a legitimat complaint, however this invloves 4 ferry trips costing $300 and two days of my time with travel. I don't believe I should swallow that. I have been tryin to get in touch with my welding supply rep for the past two days to see if he can line a machine up. I still havent heard back.

I came on this forum last fall and read the praise about Miller's products. I wanted to be sure about buying new equipment and its performance as I have always had 'red' machines and experienced grief with getting parts/warranty problems. I knew I was moving back to the Island and did not want problems like before. I still think Miller is the best, I just find it hard to believe they haven't helped me, yet. I personally think my machine has a 'balance' problem. Adjusting the balance from 70-90 does not appear to do anything. I remember it being very sensitive out of the box.

-Brian-
                  This is a very similar experience I am having with my D200DX. I do not consider myself very experienced in TIG, but I can put down a good bead most of the time (sometimes things go haywire, and this is the reason for this post). I thought that it was me, or my setup, or something. I have a witness to this craziness also...my brother who was helping me at the time.

I was building a fuel tank for my project car from 3/32" 5052. During the course of welding the seams (a bunch since I could not bend the parts), I would get great performance from the machine, then all of a sudden, terrible performance on the next bead. No amount of changing tungsten's, resharpening (dedicated diamond wheel), changing fillers, cleaning, etc would fix the issue. I would just plain get terrible results, often just making a mess out of my parts with big globs of bugger weld filler. Frustrating? absolutely! This would happen occassionally throughout the day, then magically seem to fix itself after futzing with everything and crossing my fingers... basically it seems random.

What I noticed though was that the balance control would be basically inoperable. I usually run it about 70-76 or so. Turning it down, regardless of the extreme (as low as it would go sometimes just as a test), would not change the cleaning action. I could NOT see any white etching on the sides of my weld, whereas just 5 minutes before it would work great. Then it would come back later, and I could turn it back up to mid-70's.

This happened again a few weeks ago when I was welding some parts for a friend. The balance control seemed to just plain not function, and any change to it had not result. Again, I tried changing the backcap/o-ring, consumables, resharpening tungsten, etc. I finally gave up and decided I was the problem, but did not know why! The next day I came back it seemed to work fine...that is until it started not striking an arc until I grounded the tungsten. This too is intermittent, but getting progressively worse (happens much more often now). Yes, my cables are tight, etc...I have rechecked everything SEVERAL times. My machine sits on a shelf in my garage and is not moved around either.

I have also noticed (before reading this thread originally, actually this thread was found in a search because of the problem) that my 4043 filler welds look terrible, and they never used to. 5356 looks significantly better, so that is what I use. I know though that there are times I want to use 4043...but can't. The 4043 was not a problem when I first got the machine (and when I first learned to weld Al). The grainy issues have gotten worse with time. Please don't tell me it is my technique, or set-up, I have been through that as well following guidelines found on this site. Although I am not an expert professional weldor, I am not a bad weldor ethier. I would rate myself above average (not bicycle quality yet though)!

Finally, I have also noticed an increase in the noise level and a changing pitch in the sound of the machine. I hadn't thought much of it until I started seeing "issues" with mine, and thought that maybe there was a correlation between the sound and the machine performance. I have hesitated to post this though, and keep checking this and other threads, hoping that it is really something I am doing wrong. At this point though, it does not seem that way. My problem with getting it serviced is that these issues are not consistent. They do only appear on AC though (hard arc starting on DC sometimes also). This is a "hobby" machine for me in my garage, and I use it occassionally, so if the problem develops with time, this is a problem in that I may not weld aluminum again for months. At this point though I do NOT feel comfortable trying to weld something important (such as my radiator brackets to my Ron Davis alum rad). I wish it would just break if it is going to.

I am not posting this to fuel the fire, nor complain about the machine. Rather, this is to say that I am seeing the similar problems, and it is at least a little comforting to know that I am not alone; and that I am not just imagining the problems. The real question is how do I get this fixed at this point considering the intermittent symptom's?

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I hope to get these issues resolved soon, if possible.

Joshua

Comment

I was running my 200dx at 110 Hz and balance at 75% and was getting grainy welds on 6161 T6, 1/8 thick, doing fillet welds with 4043 rod.
                    Then turned down the Freq to 90Hz and increased the balance at 85% also set the amps at 170 and used the pedal to control the heat.
                    Now the welds are smooth and shiny. I am happy!! It seems to me that the higher freq. was causing the welds to become grainy. I will continue to experiment with the settings as they seem to be really sensitive and small changes make a big difference in weld appearance.

Just my opinion!!!

Comment

• Jpross,
                      Thanks for the tip. I had read somewhere else on this board also about adjusting the frequency to help with the graininess. I have a few questions/comments about this:

1. How do you know which way to adjust it? If you have a one time shot on a real one time part...how can you be confident that it will be okay? Production is another story...

2. Isn't the frequency supposed to help with focusing the arc? I change it depending on the type of weld I am doing, for instance inside fillet versus outside, butt versus lap, etc... This seems like a crutch to change the frequency so the bead is not grainy.

3. I read somewhere that the cause of the graininess is the silicon being pulled from the metal due to the Advanced Sq. Wave, that it cycles so fast, this is the affect. I can see how changing the fequency MIGHT help this, but in the end, does a different frequency really change the transition time as well (rise and fall times)? If this is the case, shouldn't a very low frequency always produce a better weld than a high frequency?

4. What affect does changing the cleaning cycle have to do with the graininess? Should I just look for a moderate etched band on each side of the weld, and adjust using that as a reference?

I am definitely not intending for this post to sound like a debate, rather I am just trying to learn. I am a bit frustrated with the inconsistent performance on the machine (EXACT same material, welds, day, etc), and am not sure what to do. The hard arc starting is not that big of a deal, I can live with that for now, but the occasional inoperable balance control is a major problem!

Thanks again,
                      Joshua

Comment

• Hi Joshua,
                        Without a scope I would not know how the rise and fall times change on the 200dx with a change in freq. And you are right, the cleaning time probably should not have an effect on the grainious appearance but as you increase the balance you are taking away heat from the tungsten and adding it to the work. Also as you decrease the freq. the arc will become wider and that should spread out the heat over a wider area so any one spot on the melt probably will be a little cooler. I have read that "over heating the melt will cause graininess.
                        I thought of trying the lower freq. because I used a standard transformer type tig (Syncrowave) a few days ago using the same materials and the welds were shiny. Those machines run at 60 Hz only.
                        Miller should publish a paper on the 200dx inverter adjustment and address the weld appearance questions on this site.
                        Again all this is just what I am trying and is only my opinion.
                        Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpross1
                          ...Miller should publish a paper on the 200dx inverter adjustment and address the weld appearance questions on this site...
                          So how do we get this to happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2JZfan
                            Ok, stop the presses. Are you saying you had a dynasty 200 that was dead silent and only when it got flaky did it start making these noises? Both of my dynasty's have made crazy buzzing noises at all times, regardless of whether you are welding or not. As you push the control panel buttons to switch modes, etc., the sounds change, its really bizarre. Then when you shut the machine off, the sounds "wind down" over a course of 5-10 seconds. Again, quite weird, but I had just written it off as "that's what inverters do". So again, you are saying that before the troubles your dynasty didn't make any of these sounds??

ps.
                            Yes thats what I said...mine did not make any noises until the fan came on out of the box for several months...nethier did a brand new Dynasty 300 I used for 4 weeks straight...

-Brian-

Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller Trailblazer 302
                            Hypertherm 380 Plasma
                            Air Liquide M200 MIG

Comment

• Update....

My welding supplier 'Air Liquide' came yesterday to trouble shoot this problem...at first he was convinced it was me!...after 30 minutes of trying everything...including changing regs, torches, tungsten, filler rod, material, cups etc...the problem was still there...so he walks to his truck and grabs his own Dynsaty 200 and BINGO....his machine worked just like mine did brand new...absolutely no probelms...needless to say he took my machine with him...I have no idea how long it will take to have it fixed...I have some faith in the Dynasty again...

He made two calls when he was here...one to a 'Kevin' from Miller who wasnt availale and another to a service center who said the Dynsasty 200's have five boards, and sometimes they dont 'sequence' right...something about the reaction timing between each board...

I am finally relieved about getting some help here...I was ready to put a '4 sale' sign on it...

As for frequency....everyone I have ever talked to (Including Miller) has told me 100-150 for A/C...I can't see how one machine (the rep that came and my own when it worked) could operate in that range (working best at 140-150) and another person's machine operating at 90 to get proper results???? That seems bizzarre to me...the freq is mearly bead width and nothing more...it should have nothing to do with appearance (grainy look)...if runnin your machine at 90 'fixes' your problem that would lead me to believe your machine is acting up too...taking into consideration you are supplying proper heat and not overveating the material...

my 2 cents..

-Brian-

Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                              Miller Trailblazer 302
                              Hypertherm 380 Plasma
                              Air Liquide M200 MIG

Comment

• Wow, that's great that you were able to see a black and white comparison between the two machines and rule everything else out. Now let's just hope that Miller can figure out exactly what is wrong with yours so that perhaps this can finally become a "known" issue that people can have repaired without a ton of grief. Seems like everybody elses solution has been to "just sell it" (not that I blame those people who did that, just saying that may have prolonged anybody figuring out what is really going on here).

Please keep us posted!

And finally, is this new machine that you have now completely quiet like the old one used to be, or does it buzz like crazy?

Comment

Working...
                                X