No announcement yet.

Sharpie Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I TIG almost everyday. I use a cheap bench grinder. This isnt rocket science, grind to a point and weld. There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a tungsten grinder. Here is the grinder I have been using lately:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43533

Comment

Joe,

I agree that it can be done very well with a bench grinder. Definately not rocket science.

I happen to like the small dedicated grinder that I keep right by my welding table. For some reason I am just too lazy to want to get up and go to my bench grinder it's in another room) and I don't mind spending the money on the Sharpie. I sharpen as needed at home and for the welding lab I take 12 presharpened tungstens so that I can swap them out as needed (the grinder is in a backroom and I don't want to waste welding time walking to sharpen tungsten).

It's all a matter of personal preference. If you can get the tungsten ground so that it works, the method or grinder type really doesn't matter.
      Bob Sigmon
      A/O Setup with Meco Midget
      Miller Big Window Elite
      Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

I just picked up a craftsman 40 buck 6" grinder for the garage. I labled the fine wheel it came with for tung only and left the coarse wheel for other uses whe I dont feel like walking back to the grinder in the workshop. It worked out well and for the money seems like a decent unit for the little use it will see.

Comment

Originally posted by joebass
          I TIG almost everyday. I use a cheap bench grinder. This isnt rocket science, grind to a point and weld. There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a tungsten grinder. Here is the grinder I have been using lately:
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43533
          I have been using that same grinder for over a year now, works good.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
            Joe,

I agree that it can be done very well with a bench grinder. Definately not rocket science.

I happen to like the small dedicated grinder that I keep right by my welding table. For some reason I am just too lazy to want to get up and go to my bench grinder it's in another room) and I don't mind spending the money on the Sharpie. I sharpen as needed at home and for the welding lab I take 12 presharpened tungstens so that I can swap them out as needed (the grinder is in a backroom and I don't want to waste welding time walking to sharpen tungsten).

It's all a matter of personal preference. If you can get the tungsten ground so that it works, the method or grinder type really doesn't matter.
            I havn't used my HF Mini grinder (in fact it now belongs to my 9 year old) since I got the Sharpie, but like you say it really matters to each person what they want to do, it's their time and money after all.
            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Working...
            X