No announcement yet.

Onan Powered Millers - Anyone Used One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onan Powered Millers - Anyone Used One?

Anyone used a late model Miller welder/generator that is Onan powered? More to the point, one with a P220 engine?

How's the engine holding-up?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Bill
    Miller Dialarc HF

opinion on onan220

I had a TB250G w/p220 and ran solid 480hrs traded in on TB300D due to circuitboard failure twice this machine lost weld output then i lost faith and upgraded
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Have a Trailblazer 301G with an Onan only it`s the OHV.No problems with the machine as a whole,it seems to be holding up well.What specific issues are you having?I`m sure others can and will help out.

Comment

I used a Miller Legend with the onan engine. Don't know if it is the engine you're looking at. I put about 300 hrs. on it with out any problems. The machine only had about 30 hrs. on it when I got it. Both of my motor homes had onan generators. They always had to be worked on to get them to run after they sat up for a while. Once they where running, they were great. Kept telling myself to go fire them up and run them regularly but it is always that out of site-out of mind.

Kelly

Comment

Onan-- is Robin/Subaru #EH-64

Guys
          the "Onan" P220 is a relabled Robin/Subaru EH-64 (U.S. Built)... and not related to any previous onan designed or built engines.. a quick thread search will show that we have been over this subject a few times in the last few years... It is a good motor... the one in my TB301G has been going strong for the last three years or so... Zero Complaints..
          hope this helps
          Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I recently sold a 5 year old Bobcat 225 NT with the Onan and upgraded to the Trailblazer 302 with the Onan/Robin/Subaru engine. The dealer I use will not stock any with the Kohler but will order them if someone wants one. He's had very few problems with the Onan engines.

Comment

I have a 251G with the Onan in it. Works like a champ, have not had any trouble with it.
              If you update you preferences to indicate where you live, you may be surprised at the offers from other members to come use their equipment to try it out.

Comment

GOOD point

walker, thats a good point anyone near or far is welcome to try my blue machines anytime with prior notice of course
                BB402D
                TB300D
                DIMENSION652
                MM250X
                MAXSTAR140
                S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Hey ADMWELD, thats an awful generous offer. Since I do live pretty far would you mind just shipping them to me so I could try them. I'll only keep them for a year or two, then I'll ship 'em right back, honest.

Comment

Both engines sell good for us but the Kohlers slightly outsell the Onans.

A

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
                      Both engines sell good for us but the Kohlers slightly outsell the Onans.

A
                      O.K. I`ll bite and ask what I`m sure we would all like to know.By how much do the Kohlers outsell the Onans?
                      Where did leeave96 disapear to?I`m curious as to why he asked the original question.

Comment

Hey Stick Rod,

I'm still here, just lurking

Reason I ask about the Onan here is that there is very little info I can find about these engines. I have heard they are bullet proof, super reliable, but I have one with 38 hours on it and it is puffing smoke like a freight train on one cylinder. I have read that the aluminum blocked Onan's had trouble with the exhaust valves coming loose. I have read that these engines are tough to rebuild and that parts are major $$$. I can tell you that user experiences with Onan's, in terms of troubleshooting are nothing like Kohler or Briggs. Lots of folks with those engines around.

Soooooo, that's why I posted here and over at the Hobart site.

Mostly, I just want to know more about these engines before I begin to tear into the one I have. BTW, I have two of these Onans in service. The one I just spoke of w/38 hrs and another that runs like a champ with about 350 hours.

Oh, the sad part about he engine w/38 hours is that it is about 15 years out of warranty!

Thanks!
                        Bill
                        Bill
                        Miller Dialarc HF

Comment

Only 38 hours in 15 years!!!!
                          You may have some stuck rings! Try some miracle sludge,
                          Bardhal, Risoline, ect.
                          before you take it apart.
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                          1971 Roughneck 1e
                          Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                          Optrel Satellite OSE
                          ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                          Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                          O/A Set
                          Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                          1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                          Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                          My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

First off if it is 15 years old then it is an ONAN and not a ROBIN.... agree that you probably have stuck rings or maybe a hung valve... would immediately change oil and filter run it for about 20 minutes and change them again.. with the second change would add a little bit of Kano Kreen to both gas and the oil... this stuff works have been using it for 20plus years.. if something is stuck it will free it... (remember these things do not hold much oil so about a half oz of Kreen should be enough.. do not want to dilute the oil) would then run it till warm and let cool a few times then run it for about an hour.. if it has stuck rings this should free it....
                            hope this helps
                            Heiti

BTW carefully check the drain oil for metal particles

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

leeave96,
                              Sorry to hear of youre problem.After setting that long I say stuck rings or valves just like those before.Frank and H80N give good advice.Hope thing work out O K and don`t get into a major rebuild.Have a buddy with a red welder and the Onan you speak of and his has been through a VERY rough life,Smashed oil filter,change oil if you remember(read every 400-500hrs)has 2500+ hours on it and only on its 4th oil filter.sits out in all kinds of weather unprotected.It is still going strong starts the first time every time doesn`t smoke or use oil.Someone upstairs is watching over this machine.The reason I bought the Onan in my TB is because if they survived his torture test I`m sure it will hold up to me.Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X