X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz
    replied
    Re Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

I am not going to weld it out of the jig. I want to reposition the frame, let it cool, and clamp it down to get to some of the joints that are too close to the clamps. I was afraid the frame would tweak if I didn't weld it completely before un-clamping it from the jig.

Leave a comment:

• Bowtieman31
    replied
    Buzz, I'm not clear on whether your plan was, to remove the chassis and weld up all the hard to reach places, then re-attach it to the jig for the final welding. Or, remove the chassis from the jig, reposition it, re-jig, then weld it up. If it's the latter, you can safely reposition the chassis on the jig, re-check ALL your measurments and levels and begin your welding. If you should need to make adjustments all you have to do is cut the tack welds, adjust and re-weld. Whatever you do, do not start welding, then remove it from the jig, reposition it, and continue welding. You will end up with a twisted, mis-aligned mess. I've built several dragster chassis and never had a problem.

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    Originally posted by pjseaman
    Buzz:
    I would not move it till the welding is finished and cooled. I've welded tubing after tacking in a jig and it was problematic. If the jig is built then I would use it all the way through also allow it to cool thouroughly before removing it from the jig.

My 2 cents worth!
    i agree, i don't think you would be happy with what you have if you weld it out of the jig.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Buzz:
    I would not move it till the welding is finished and cooled. I've welded tubing after tacking in a jig and it was problematic. If the jig is built then I would use it all the way through also allow it to cool thouroughly before removing it from the jig.

My 2 cents worth!

Leave a comment:

• Buzz
    started a topic Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

I was wondering if you could move a frame (Dragster) off the frame jig after TIG welding a 4 point tack on all joints? With the jig I am going to use, I know there going to be some places that are going to be extremely hard to get to and I am going to reclamp the frame back on to the jig.
Working...
X