Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

I was wondering if you could move a frame (Dragster) off the frame jig after TIG welding a 4 point tack on all joints? With the jig I am going to use, I know there going to be some places that are going to be extremely hard to get to and I am going to reclamp the frame back on to the jig.
    m

Buzz:
    I would not move it till the welding is finished and cooled. I've welded tubing after tacking in a jig and it was problematic. If the jig is built then I would use it all the way through also allow it to cool thouroughly before removing it from the jig.

My 2 cents worth!

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
      Buzz:
      I would not move it till the welding is finished and cooled. I've welded tubing after tacking in a jig and it was problematic. If the jig is built then I would use it all the way through also allow it to cool thouroughly before removing it from the jig.

My 2 cents worth!
      i agree, i don't think you would be happy with what you have if you weld it out of the jig.
      The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Buzz, I'm not clear on whether your plan was, to remove the chassis and weld up all the hard to reach places, then re-attach it to the jig for the final welding. Or, remove the chassis from the jig, reposition it, re-jig, then weld it up. If it's the latter, you can safely reposition the chassis on the jig, re-check ALL your measurments and levels and begin your welding. If you should need to make adjustments all you have to do is cut the tack welds, adjust and re-weld. Whatever you do, do not start welding, then remove it from the jig, reposition it, and continue welding. You will end up with a twisted, mis-aligned mess. I've built several dragster chassis and never had a problem.
        Millermatic 251
        Synchrowave 180
        Hobart Beta-mig 200
        Lincoln SP175
        HyperTherm 380
        Victor O/A

Comment

Re Moving the frame after a 4 point tack

I am not going to weld it out of the jig. I want to reposition the frame, let it cool, and clamp it down to get to some of the joints that are too close to the clamps. I was afraid the frame would tweak if I didn't weld it completely before un-clamping it from the jig.
          m

Comment

Working...
          X