Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 or 12 ga cord for MM210?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10 or 12 ga cord for MM210?

    I recently bought an MM210, its great but the 6ft 12ga power cord is too short. I was going to add a 20ft cord to it. Should I use 10ga or 12ga?

    10ga is rated at 30a continuous but welder's don't run continuous and based on the wiring recomendations by miller for my dynasty 250 and the cord thats on the MM210 now, miller takes this into account for power cords and uses a slightly smaller wire.

    Bulk, cost, and availability are all factors so I would like to use the smallest cord possible, while still being safe.
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

  • #2
    Go with the 10. You're right. As for the cord that comes with the machine, these are rated according to the NEC using a duty cycle formula. Extensions or supply runs to this cord are usually listed in the manual and your's would be a # 10 size up to 89ft.

    Hope this helps.

    Andy

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Justin00Stang
      I recently bought an MM210, its great but the 6ft 12ga power cord is too short. I was going to add a 20ft cord to it. Should I use 10ga or 12ga?

      10ga is rated at 30a continuous but welder's don't run continuous and based on the wiring recomendations by miller for my dynasty 250 and the cord thats on the MM210 now, miller takes this into account for power cords and uses a slightly smaller wire.

      Bulk, cost, and availability are all factors so I would like to use the smallest cord possible, while still being safe.
      Justin00Stang,
      For what it's worth,I run my MM210 in the shop with a 50' cord using #6 SO cord. Runs around $1.45 per foot.
      Mike
      MACH4

      Comment


      • #4
        Do it like me I striped and soldered together 7 xmas tree light extension cords w/o using the ground along with a 16 gauge extesion cord to get my miller to reach this part of my house. I just wish it would have lasted longer . ****ed thing melted and tripped my breaker after I changed the load switch from 1 to 3 to see if she could still do the higher amps on the thin cord.

        Comment


        • #5
          The manual calls for 10, the recept it uses is listed for 10 cord as a minimum. That is one of the things I like about this 210 class machine, it is going to work well with fairly light cords. It will run from dryer sized circuits.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by own6volvos
            Do it like me I striped and soldered together 7 xmas tree light extension cords w/o using the ground along with a 16 gauge extesion cord to get my miller to reach this part of my house. I just wish it would have lasted longer . ****ed thing melted and tripped my breaker after I changed the load switch from 1 to 3 to see if she could still do the higher amps on the thin cord.
            This from a guy that once posted pictures of a big fire caused by too many extension cords?

            You are lucky that the melting caused a short big enough to trip your breaker. It doesn't always have such a happy ending.

            Comment


            • #7
              Mac,Reminds me of Moody/MisteryMan, or what ever he is using nowdays.LOL

              I made a 50' extension using 8-2 w/g from the dryer conn. in the old days to the old, and I mean old 180 amp cracker box(buzz box in some circles), then later for the Betamig 175, all worked well. Since have ran a new service for the mig, plaz and lowly Econotig.
              Good luck
              L*S

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MAC702
                This from a guy that once posted pictures of a big fire caused by too many extension cords?

                You are lucky that the melting caused a short big enough to trip your breaker. It doesn't always have such a happy ending.
                I don't let my cords stay plugged in after the insanity. Those mexicans left the thing out all night up on fresh tar, and during a massive storm. Those guys were BEGGING for trouble

                Comment


                • #9
                  This should work fine once I put the right plug on it?

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
                  Justin Starkey
                  Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
                  Miller 210 MIG
                  Spectrum 375 Plasma
                  Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
                  VMP Tuning.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    125Volt Rating

                    This will not work.....
                    It only is rated for 125 volts not 208 - 240 volts that the MM210 is rated.

                    sstec

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ya, even with shipping it looks like a deal. You will need both new ends. You will need a plug and recept but thats about as cheap as you will find wire. Some of those have plastic coating, would really rather have rubber for a welder.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sstec
                        This will not work.....
                        It only is rated for 125 volts not 208 - 240 volts that the MM210 is rated.

                        sstec
                        The item description was misleading. The cord plug was rated for 125V. The wire is most likely rated for up to 600V, most wire is.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          #10 should work good with that machine as suggested. Just a tip. If you plan on getting other welding equipment down the road, make the cord heavier and longer....maybe 50-75' of #8. One cord for all your future needs.
                          LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
                          BAKERY MECHANIC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally I was just planning on wiring a longer cord directly into the MIG machine, not making an extension cord.

                            BUT, seeing as how BR welder has a 8ga 50amp 50ft cord for only $105 with nice molded connectors on the end, I am just going to get that. I can use it with the MIG, the plasma, and for light TIG welding with the syncrowave.
                            Justin Starkey
                            Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
                            Miller 210 MIG
                            Spectrum 375 Plasma
                            Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
                            VMP Tuning.com

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X