Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage Drop issues :: Millermatic 251

Greetings all,

It has been a while since I was on last and for the most part, I am doing well with a growing business.

When I first bought the MM251 about 6 months ago, I wired up a breaker in the box in my garage to an outlet about six inches below it and built an extention cord to carry the juice from the socket to the welder.

The cord is 6/4 I believe.

Everything worked fine. I could run the welder at full power with no discernable voltage drop in the welder.

I have since moved to a new shop. I had the owner install a line from the breaker box in the main part of the building to the 20x40 bay that I am renting so I could run my welders. I had her get the same size wire.

The previous run was about 20 feet. The new run is a total of about 80 feet.

Now, when I run the welder, I have to run the voltage setting up about 2 volts higher than what the chart recommends(inside the spool area cover) to accomplish the same weld. I noticed that I am getting about a 2-2.5v drop showing up on the readout when the gun is active and welding something.

Also, the welder is shutting down like it is overheating after about 15seconds of welding time. I never had it shut down at all when I was still in my garage.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do I need to go with a higher rated wire???

With regards,
    Ogier
    From the desk of:
    Ogier de Corbiel
    http://ogiers.org

definately need a larger wire for the longer run. Also run a probe on the available voltage out of the wire, you may find that where you were before was maybe 220 and where you are now is maybe around 208 meaning your machine is working harder to produce the out put you need. You only need 4/3 unless you need three phase. 4guage 3conductor.
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

No you dont, it isnt the wire, its likely the power supply or its wired wrong, something isnt right but if you have number 6 wire that isnt it. It would work on 8. Heck it would run pretty fair on number 10, the fact that it shuts down says there is something seriouusly wrong and since the only change you made was the move it kind of points to the electric service. If there are wires mixed up I would also look at the panel to see if someone missed a bond screw or jumper, it should have tripped a breaker. By the way, this needs only 2 conductor wire with ground, in a cord it would be 6/3 or cable 6/2.

Comment

You definitely need to verify your line voltage. If you have moved into a commercial building, it is almost a sure thing that the service is three-phase, and depending on the utility transformer connection, you may now be running in 208V. If so, you need to re-link the machine, I believe.

If it turns out that you have 208V, the machine draws 48 amps at full load. You'd need a 50A minumum service. If it were me, I'd want #4's and a 60A feed. At the least, #6's and 50A. I'd want it that way even though the code allows 50A welder circuits on a #8.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Yup, never thought of that Hank, bet it is.

Comment

What did I say? hmmm(lol) had to remark sorry
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

Yo, 88! No sweat! I just added a couple of comment to your excellent advice!

Hank
              ...from the Gadget Garage
              Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
              Handler 210 w/DP3035
              TA185TSW
              Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Working...
              X