Hawk,

AWS Spec for Silicone in 70s series wires:

S-6 - .8 to 1.15%
    S-2 - .4 to .7%

S2 does have added deoxidizers like zirconium, aluminum and titanium
    It is better to run it short arc with Co2, ArCo2, ArCo2O2
    not recommended for spray

S2 is not as forgiving as S6

If you are bent on this spray thing, use S6 and get a bottle of SteelMix X from your local Airgas. The added helium really sweetens the spray.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    BCarlucci,

1.20 -1.40/lb the going rate on ER70S-6. The 2.00 is because it is an ER70S-2. For some reason it cost more in the southeast. I used to use 44lb spools of National Standard ER70S-6 bare uncoated wire. It has always been my favorite, but GMAW work slowed down and I went with Hobart 10 lb spools.

I don't care for the Harris due to inconsistent quality and too many places of manufacture. However, this INWELD is 10X as bad on quality!!!

I think I will pick up 44lbs of Hobart QCL today in ans ER70S-6. It is suppossed to be better than the National Standard bare wire and is easier to access. Hopefully that will cure the problem. It won't have time to rust since it will be burned by Thursday at the latest.

Leave a comment:

• BCarlucci
    replied
    I've never run Inweld E70S-2, i normally use Harris Welco E70S-6 .035 and .045, i've used Hobarts wire and a few otheres, but for the price of wire today it's hard to find a good one at a good price. Hawk, your paying $2.00 a lbs? seems a little high to me and i thought the northeast was expensive.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Gmaw

I am using it for MIG and have run a bunch in the past. It has a higher silcon content than ER70S-6. I just cannot get this brand to run well.

Leave a comment:

• flash_burn
    replied
    Tig filler.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    started a topic Inweld ER70S-2

Inweld ER70S-2

Okay I threw this question out to GTA/SPEC and feel confident he has experience with this material.

Anybody else have any experience with INWELD ER70S-2? I have a 33lb spool on a CV feeder that seems to run decent with 92% argon/8% CO2. However,
    the first few pounds were very erratic at best! I tried different guns and liners and even used my favorite 12RC suitcase with an XMT power source. I have tried everything except a different shielding gas I did try a couple of different 330 bottles of the AR8). I am running spray arc, and could toss on a VS feeder, but have not done so yet-should not have to...

I have never seen a wire that runs a great spray arc at 30 volts and 410 inches/minute and then has to be totally readjusted to say 30 volts at 555 IPM to get a good spray. I tried every variable I could think of and it has to be the wire. In all fairness the wire has spooled off fine and burned reasonably well except for the first 4 or 5 pounds. That is a real waste for what this "crap" costs!

I think I will go back to Hobart's QCL bare wire in a .035" diameter with AR8 and crank up the inductance to 35% or so and rock. The INWLED will be a great boat anchor at $2 per pound unless someone can pass along some good experience that can get this "junk" out of its tailspin...
Working...
X