2lb vs. 10lb spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2lb vs. 10lb spool

what do you guys recemond a 2 pound spoold for flux core welding or a 10 pound spool

Clinton,I would think the amount of wire to buy would depend on the tamount of welding you need to do at that time.I keep an extra 44/lbs of .035 70s6 wire on stock for mymm 250x in case i run out late night or on a sunday.Another example would be NR212 wire in .068 dia.for same reasons stated above these are common wire i use constantly so i keep some on back up. With specialty consumables i keep some basics 1 roll .030 308SS mig wire a few 2lb spools for 30a spoolmatic gun 5356/6061 1/16 dia. 3/64dia. If your supplier is close i would not tie your money up with consumables but when you buy bigger rolls 10lbs vs 2lbs you might find the price is cheaper on larger quanity good luck just my personal opinion on stocking consumables.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

i would buy the 10 lbs if its a better deal, or you plan on using it a lot. if not the 2 lbs might be a better way to go.

Comment

Unless something is on clearance, the bigger spool will always be cheaper per pound, sometimes quite a bit.

Flux-cored wire is just too handy not to keep around for emergencies.

I'd only buy the smaller spool if it's all you can afford at the time, or you know for certain that you will never use it again. If you live in a humid climate, then maybe change that to use it within a year because it will rust if you don't store it well.

Comment

my next project is a rod oven just store it in there right?

Comment

Clintonwelding1,
            There is some good advice.Since you work part time for a welding supplier you should be able to get a better deal.I`ve found as said before it`s better to keep a little extra of the filler you use most on hand(10lb) specilty wire keep just what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1
              my next project is a rod oven just store it in there right?
              That depends. What's your idea of a "rod oven?" The light bulb in a box works better than nothing, for sure.

To be honest, I've never stored wire in an oven; just the low-hydrogen stick electrodes. I also live in a very dry climate, which helps a great deal.

I don't think I'd want those plastic spools in my low-hy oven, that's for sure.

Keep the plastic bag and the dessicant and keep it sealed up when not in use.

Everytime I buy something that has a dessicant, I throw in it in a wire bag...

Comment

I have a old refrig that has a dehumidifier rod(same kind that you put in a gun safe)keep my rods and wire in there.Seems to work O.K.Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod
                  I have a old refrig that has a dehumidifier rod(same kind that you put in a gun safe)keep my rods and wire in there.Seems to work O.K.Any thoughts?
                  I do the same and even add a few bags of silica gel. It works pretty good. However, I use a true rod oven for storage of 7018's and the smaller portable 120 VAC rod oven carrier at the job site. Why, because I had a CWI and WE not let me on the job once without the portable oven and a written explanation of how the rods were actually stored at the shop. They even took the temp inside with a IR thermometer-talk about ****!!! It was just a warm return water line passing through the lake for a small amount of linear yardage, to the river. I think that is kind of ridiculous!!!

Comment

I`ve never run into the problem you mentioned about being checked.The portable oven is the way to go in the field.I understand that it seems "****" but I guess rules are rules no matter how much we agree or disagree.

Comment

2 lb spools are great if you just want to try a certain wire. Other than that I go 10 lbs. 44 lb spool would last me forever.

Dennis
                      Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                      Millermatic Challenger 172
                      VictorO/A
                      Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                      Esab PCM-875
                      Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod
                        I`ve never run into the problem you mentioned about being checked.The portable oven is the way to go in the field.I understand that it seems "****" but I guess rules are rules no matter how much we agree or disagree.
                        It is not the rules that bother me. Nobody told me about the hot box rule or the wled ultrsounds. It was a communication problem. My fault for sure. You are correct rules are rules. I have them for my helpers too!

The main oven is 550 F and the little oven is considerabley cooler, but the rods do burn well!

Comment

The larger the coil diameter on the spool, the better the feed quality and therefore the better weld quality. We use alot of wire feed devices for tig welding, most of which require 10" spools, then straighteners.

I know that you are talking mig, but the same applies.

Comment

GTA/SPEC,

I am running a 33lb spool of ER70S-2 INWELD in .035" . Are you familiar with INWELD brand of wire? It seems to be running pretty good with AR8, but the first few pounds were very inconsistent. Any experience. here? I guess I will go back to the Hobart QCL series in S6 .035" wire. It runs as good as NS bare wire or maybe better. It wets out very easily w/o a lot of inductance-maybe 15-20% max for most applications.

Comment

Working...
                            X