building hydraulic boat trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building hydraulic boat trailer

hey guys im new to this great site and have a question. In a few years i would like to build a custom hydraulic boat trailer kind of like this
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...welsmarine.jpg but i will design it different and use channel steel instead of the box steel. Now before you guys start with the safety issues, I just want to say i will not be building this until i have completed the welding school that i will be attending and have enough experience to build something like this. My question is, what kind of welder would you guys recommend using for building a custom trailer like this(max weight capacity will be about 20,000lbs)? Sorry for the long post and thank you for any opinions.

Mike

MIG would be the fastest and easyest for the project. TIG would produce some nicer looking welds but not realy an isue here MIG would be my choice.

do you intend to make it out of steel or aluminum, the 1 in the pic looks like aluminum. if you intend to do aluminum you may want to rethink your ideal of using chanel insted of box .

welcome to the site we look forward to bolth helping and being helped by you. this is a realy great site with lil to no bickering and generaly realy nice people that are willing to help and share tips with all.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

oh ya , thats 1 sweet looking trailer i'm shoure it will be a realy fun project be shoure to share some pic's with us when you get started on it.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Mike,

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in school!

Once you've completed your welding course, you'll figure out what process you'll want to use. Now would be a good time to start filling the piggy-bank! If you decided on GMAW, you're going to want a 210 - 251 class machine. If you got GTAW, a Dynasty 200DX would suit your needs. You are looking at $2000 to $3000, depending.

We'll see you around, huh?

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

thanks for your input guys... yes im going to be using steel,not aluminum. Also i believe the one in the picture is steel and they had it galvanized(i will be doing the same). I plan on using MIG. Ive actually been thinking about buying a mm251 right now so i can play around with it and get used to it(i hear they are hard to get used to!) Again thanks for your comments guys.

Mike

Comment

optional equipment.

The MM251 comes with the M25 gun with a standard .030/.035 liner and drive rollers. If you need to run .045 wire (for greater penetration) then in addition get a .045 drive roller set and liner for the M25 gun. Neither are all that expensive and change out is not difficult either.
            MM251
            Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
            Victor O/A
            Century 155GS
            Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

thanks for the tip oldnavy...just curious how you like your 251? Is it hard to figure it out? You have any pics of your welds made with the 251? thanks

Mike

Comment

Like the MM251 a lot.

Yamaha,

I like the MM251 a lot but since I am still relatively new to welding I cannot make much in the way of comparison to anything other than the 155V Century 155GS that I still have but essentially don't use any more. Some body with a lot more experince in welding should answer that. I have found that when welding thin chain link top rail pipe into fence and gate panels I don't have as much problem as I used to with burn through and that is using .030 on the MM251 vs. .023 on the 155GS. It it has been very good when I have practiced on some 3/16 (pictures) although I am not sure the settings I was using were optimal. I like the meters on the MM251 since it is easy to make repeatable set ups and keep my log of settings that I find that work the best. When I was investigating which Miller welder I wanted I looked at the MM210, DVI, and the MM251. The MM350P was outside my budget. I went with the 251 because it was a heavier duty machine and liked the digital setting meters and voltage was not tapped (I was already used to that type of welder).

The first two pictures are of welds (second tested with sledge hammer) and the othe two are projects that have been done (saftey cage for O/A and gate frame for chain link kennel fencing).
                Attached Files
                MM251
                Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
                Victor O/A
                Century 155GS
                Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

My 2 Cents

Without a doubt the MM251 is the best bang for the buck. They are a little more difficult than a tapped machine, but I do like being able to dial it in. The tapped machines also do a great job, but may I just like the display Either way I've had mine for a little while and you do need to play with it, but you will love it. Good luck in school.
                  Thanks -- Kelly

Trailblazer 302
                  Millermatic 251
                  Millermatic Passport
                  Syncrowave 180SD

Red 120V Mig
                  HT600 Plasma Cutter
                  Victor Journeyman O/A
                  Loving Wife

Comment

what would be a good program to design this trailer with? autocad? thanks

mike

Comment

MM210 would be fine but a MM251 would be a better choice. I built a few hundred trailers in my day...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Mike, this is the 1st time I've seen this thread, tried looking at the 1st link you posted to a pic of the trailer, but it is no longer available there, so I'm not sure what it looks like. Are you building it with straight boxed steel? I just purchased a program called Bend-Tech, going to be doing some tubing work eventually, and this one was quite slick for this, really helps you with the bends and the cut setups. Here is a link to their site, not sure if it would be applicable, but is a neat program none the less: http://www.2020softwaresolutions.com/products.htm

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by YamahaYFZ450
                          what would be a good program to design this trailer with? autocad? thanks

mike
                          I use Autocad Mechanical 2007, and Autodesk Inventor Series 11 both would be great programs for this type of design pending on whether you wanted a 3D model or just 2D drawings. However you are looking @ 3500 - $7000 for those packages and alibre offers its express version for free

Comment

i will be building it with channel steel. also there will be four hydraulic arms on the trailer, but the arms will be built with box tubing. thanks for your replys guys.

Comment

Yamaha,
                              I was not able to open the picture. could you send it over to me i am also interested in building a trailer like this becuase it is about 500 a trip to get my boat in the water at both ends of the season. I had to build a cradle for my sailboat ina a pinch just so a transp[ort company would move it.
                              I want to modify my cradle into a tariler and possibly do some additional towing next year.
                              so your picture would be helpfull
                              thanks\
                              Terence
                              p.s. Email to
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X