Stopping rust on raw metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping rust on raw metal

I have a few peices that are waiting to be painted, was curious if anyone had any tips to prevent rust ?

WD-40 ? Grease ?
    http://www.rcautoworks.com

Sometimes, I degrease and prime my steel right after I buy it.

Then, when I need it, I cut it to size and sand off the primer about an inch from where any welds will be.

After assembly, I touch up the primer, including all the joints and then give it the final paint color.

Usually I just do that with easily rusted steel, like tubing.

The hot rolled lasts long enough in my dry climate not to even worry about.

Comment

Thats a good idea, but in my case I can't do all that. Number 1 would be, once the primer is sanded off, it would create a little lip, causing me to sand a lot more then I would want to.

Surfrace rust will not weaken material right

Comment

No, it wont weaken it.

Comment

Don't touch it on a hot humid summer day with bare hands. It will rust by the next day. I usually cover everything with WD40 for a few days. I use WD40 on my welding fixtures also...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Yea, WD does it for me. I spray my chassis jig down every once in awhile and my bare chassis stuff after welding. It usually is quite awhile before the chassis is ready for paint cause it has to get all the final assembly stuff fit and brackets welded. Basically it get's completely assembled and then taken apart to clean and paint.

A

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
              Basically it get's completely assembled and then taken apart to clean and paint.

A
              What came first Askandy or OCC?

Dennis

Sorry but just had to ask. Maybe this would be a good puzzler for Click and Clack.
              Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
              Millermatic Challenger 172
              VictorO/A
              Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
              Esab PCM-875
              Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by tailshaft56
                What came first Askandy or OCC?
                I've never seen OCC. AskAndy has been here since September 2002. Andy and I have been here since then; don't know who else...

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcrx
                  I have a few peices that are waiting to be painted, was curious if anyone had any tips to prevent rust ?

WD-40 ? Grease ?

90blackcrx,

Walmart makes their brand of spray paint called "Colormatch" and according to the can directions and the company that produces it Rust-O-Leum just cannot compare. In my experience I believe it! I use it clean as well as surface rusted metals. It covers mill scale and I have seen no rust issues even after being out in the weather for several months. No primer is required. Awesome!

I know the WD or Tri-Flo penetrant works well to prevent rust. However, this paint is not very expensive and performs better than anything I have ever used from a can.

Comment

Any dent, pit, or surface defect weakens the material. All cracks start on a molecular level where the atoms are misaligned (i.e. a dent, rust pit, manufacturing defect, whatever). This is the reason you want a weld with the least amount a bubbles or illregularity. However, most of the time you need not worry because 99% of the time these defects (or surface quality as it it referred to) are accounted for in the strength rating of the material. If you want a more scientific explanation I can reference some books for you.

Sparky
                    Brian

Victor O/A
                    Lincon AC 225 bussbox
                    Dynasty 200DX w/coolmate 3
                    Saving passport or 375 plasma

Comment

walmart also carries there own brand of wd-40 in a black can that in my expereance workd better than wd-40 at everything and at $0.94 a can ya cant go rong. as a penitraiting oil it is great. I also use it on my welding table to keep the surface from rusting light coat and you are good to go.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

keep in mind if useing it on your welding table wipe the table down after you aplie the oil as it is flamible. dont realy want to leave puddles of it around or put that much on.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

General trivia: The "WD" in WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement" It was invented for the USAF to spray down the ballistic missiles in underground silos to help repvent corrosion due to the constant condensation.

Of course, naturally it works great on firearms, fishing reels, tools, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                            walmart also carries there own brand of wd-40 in a black can that in my expereance workd better than wd-40 at everything and at $0.94 a can ya cant go rong. as a penitraiting oil it is great. I also use it on my welding table to keep the surface from rusting light coat and you are good to go.

wd-40 is not ment to be used as a pentrating oil, from my understandings atleast.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I do use a rust-oleum product but that happens way down the line.

Comment

I run WD-40 in my hydraulic brake lines on my bike. Works like a champ. Oh! DON'T PUT WD-40 ON A BIKE CHAIN! That is all.
                              -Tanner

Comment

Working...
                              X