No announcement yet.

Gas bottles better to buy or lease ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I got my oxy/act rig a long time ago, I leased the cylinders. After a year or so I realized that I would be better off purchasing them so I did. Select the size carefully. It costs too much to move up to a larger size later. My only mistake was to buy a cylinder that holds 50 pounds of CO2. That sucker is hard to lift when full.

Comment

It all depends on where you live, i know here in CT we only sell bottles up to 80cuft anything over that requires you either (rent monthly or lease them yearly). I've heard of some other states where they sell the larger bottles. You also have ot remember after 10 years i believe (depends on the stamp, if you buy the larger tanks) they need to be hydro tested so look at 20-30 bucks a shot for those. but that's 10 years + down the road. Normally around here yearly leases go anywhere from 30-40 bucks a year, then you have your fill on the gases. If you have the $$ buy them straight out, if not go on a yearly lease and try to get your supplier to go as low as possible. I try to give everyone that comes in a good deal and not over charge them, but it does happen to some people. Good luck,

Brian C.
      BC

Dynasty 200DX
      Coolmate 3
      MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
      Cutmaster 101
      LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

Originally posted by BCarlucci
        It all depends on where you live, i know here in CT we only sell bottles up to 80cuft anything over that requires you either (rent monthly or lease them yearly). I've heard of some other states where they sell the larger bottles. You also have ot remember after 10 years i believe (depends on the stamp, if you buy the larger tanks) they need to be hydro tested so look at 20-30 bucks a shot for those. but that's 10 years + down the road. Normally around here yearly leases go anywhere from 30-40 bucks a year, then you have your fill on the gases. If you have the $$ buy them straight out, if not go on a yearly lease and try to get your supplier to go as low as possible. I try to give everyone that comes in a good deal and not over charge them, but it does happen to some people. Good luck,

Brian C.

Regional gas pricing and rental/sale policies require a full staff of lawyers and CPAs to keep up with. It's bad enough that there is little or no standardization in consumables without this headache.

Comment

You can only purchase 80's in my area otherwise you must lease the larger units, I would purchase 120's if I could. Easy to handle and a little more than the 80
          Laurence

Comment

buy your bottles

i always prefer to buy my bottles because i ask for blank neck bottles and are able to get them filled at praxair or airgas or whatever gas house is more accessable or open for that matter.

Comment

I went to the store the bottles are 178 each for the big ones with a 20 yr lease they wont sell the industrial size you can only lease them here in ohio. there goes a grand.

Comment

In the Chicago 'burbs, we have a place called Terrace Supply.

They lease their bottles pretty cheap. I picked up a ~4' tall bottle of C25. A lifetime lease cost $175, and whenever I decide to terminate the lease (it could be 60 years down the road), I'll get a refund of $150. I thought that was a GREAT deal! Basically a $150 deposit, and a lifetime lease for $25 (and they filled the 1st tank for free!).

Comment

Originally posted by Greg60143
                  In the Chicago 'burbs, we have a place called Terrace Supply.

They lease their bottles pretty cheap. I picked up a ~4' tall bottle of C25. A lifetime lease cost $175, and whenever I decide to terminate the lease (it could be 60 years down the road), I'll get a refund of $150. I thought that was a GREAT deal! Basically a $150 deposit, and a lifetime lease for $25 (and they filled the 1st tank for free!).
                  Wow it's funny your mention them...I was there today and less than happy.

I purchased an 80cf tank from another company up north called American Gases. I usually get it filled up there, since that is where my workspace is. I can only get up there on time on the the weekends and in the next 3 weeks there is no way I can make it on a Saturday. So I brought my tank home from my shop to Terrace to get it filled since its about 3 minutes from my house. Got there and the guy says I can't fill this. The collar says "American Gases". I said well I own the tank and I need to get it filled. After he went and spoke with someone inside in an office he came back and said "We refuse to fill it" citing something about professional courtesy. I saw many other tanks that were waiting to get picked up that had AirGas and Praxair collars on them. So either they have a problem with American Gas, or a problem with me. I pick up consumables there quite often on my way home from my real job, I will definitely not be going back after this though.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Comment

And for what it's worth, I would have purchased my machine from them had they been helpful in the least. They barely wanted to talk to me, even when I had cash in hand. Everytime I've gone in there for anything they pretty much try to make me feel like a moron anyways. Truth is they know very little about TIG welding and that's probably why they were unable to answer my questions before I purchased a machine. Luckily I found another Miller dealer who answered all my questions and pointed me in the right direction picking blue over red

Comment

That is most interesting, i know in my area professional courtesy is that we can not fill tanks that are Larger then 80 cuft, but 80cuft and below we fill no matter who's tank it is. It's a shame when you walk into a supplier and get treated that way. In my personal opinion it's all about treating your customer right and even if you don't have the knowledge at least attempt to get them the information or another place to turn to. I know that if i don't stock an item and a customer walks in and asks for it, i'll give a competitor a phone call to see if he does, and then direct the customer to them. In almost all cases the customer comes back because i helped them out in a pinch. But i completely understand what your saying, and in my professional opinion i don't see the problem in filling an 80 cuft cylinder, only larger cylinders i can't fill as a professional courtesy to other suppliers.
                      BC

Dynasty 200DX
                      Coolmate 3
                      MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
                      Cutmaster 101
                      LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

I can totally understand the professional courtesy for local competitors. But the place I purchased the tank from is 60 miles north from this place. Not really just around the corner. And the thing that really urked me was the fact there were AirGas tanks there that were much larger than 80cf waiting to be picked up. And there is an Airgas only 5 minutes from this place.

Overall I'm pretty pissed off...I'm hoping I can work out a deal with my place up north to buy back the tank I purchased in exchange for a lease so I can just have them do switchouts at the shop even if I'm not there.

Comment

buy or lease saga

up here in Ma. too I swap anyones bottles 80cf and under,Wow I cant believe the horror stories people tell about distributors on this blog I try to treat all my customers like there family and try to do everything I can to help them out I had a customer come in with an optrel quick change helmet this week he bought online 4 years ago that went bad I called optrel for him and ended up getting him a brand new lens n/c,He was verrryyyyy verrryyy happy Im sure he will be back for lots more stuffff....

Comment

I think it is Terrace's policy not to fill other's tanks - don't know why.

When I decided that I wanted a MM175, I found it online, and stopped in there (it's the only place I know of near me, plus they're open Saturdays). They wanted almost as much money as I was going to spend on a MM175, for a MM135! They told me straight out that I'd be better off getting it from where I had the cheap quote (IOC). I then asked about bottles - do I buy one outright from them or on my own, and then have them fill it. That's when the counter guy told me that they don't do "owned" bottles, and informed me of their lease. I still think it was a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg60143
                              I think it is Terrace's policy not to fill other's tanks - don't know why
                              Which is fine if there weren't 7 or 8 Airgas and Praxair tanks sitting there waiting to be picked up after being filled

Comment

Working...
                              X