How to attack this manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to attack this manifold?

What would be the best way to attack this project? I need to weld up the 90 degree elbows, but not sure which pattern and such to use, or how fast to weld it up. I need to get it as close to perfect the first time, as there is a bit of cash in the metal that makes it up, and no need to waste it.

Will be doing this with my MM210. Don't really have an option to Tig it.
    Attached Files

What's the material?

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Its all mild steel. The flange is 3/8", and the piping is schedule 40 1.25" stuff.

Comment

What type of car, so I can get an idea. Here is one I designed

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...crx/3d20rk.jpg
        http://www.rcautoworks.com

Comment

If you are still in the design phase most parts stores sell heat riser tubing that works great for mock-up work. It is expandable aluminum and will hold it's shape for test fit; much better than throwing away mis-cut steel. You can usually get it in about the correct diameter. I would assemble the finished version with a minimal number of tacks for final fit before finish weld. Good Luck and let us know how it comes out.JEFF
          200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Jeff you got any pics of that heat rise tubing ?

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcrx
              What type of car, so I can get an idea. Here is one I designed

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...crx/3d20rk.jpg
              It looks as though the port shape is oval shaped. How do shape the tubing to fit the oval?

-Michael

Comment

i would mount the flange on the car and work from there. and small tack just to hold it till you can get every thing in place. you do have the car there to mount on right.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by saltrunner
                  It looks as though the port shape is oval shaped. How do shape the tubing to fit the oval?

-Michael
                  Its a secret, jk. Stick them in a vice

Comment

Just got the final flange today, so I will be mig'in together the collector and flange top. Should I aim to do most in one big run, or limit it to a certain length of bead? Material of the flange is .375" going to the collector which is maybe .125". Then a divider plate which is about .250". What voltage tap and wire speed should I be at? Doing zigzags along, how wide should I make it abouts?

Comment

Header

Are all the tubes bent and just require welding to the flang and collector? Before you weld the exhaust perminently tack all the tubes togeather and check for fit as fun4now said. The collector should be welded last, that way you can pull each tube off and finish weld each seam, reassemble and check for fit then weld the collector. Here is a header that I made out of pre-bent elbows and u-bends. All tubes are the same length (within reason). This is one side of a 5.4l 3v production. The header was then sent out to be jet-hot coated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Paulyfab
                        verry nice work.

own6volvos
                        keep in mind you want to make shoure you dont get any movement as you weld.1 long bead zigzaging might be asking for truble. i would run about 1" at the most at a time. makeing shoure every thing stays put as i go.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

What width should the bead itself be? Like how far up and down should I go when doing zigzigs on this stuff.

Comment

Just got done with the collector. The plate is in the middle of it as I am building a pulse style manifold to go with my twin scroll turbo.

What do you think? The entire collector is one big ball of HAZ, so I think I got enough heat in the welds.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X