No announcement yet.

Poorly done welds, advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4130 (chromoly) is welded with 70S2 filler most of the time...this wire is available for both MIG and TIG.
    MIG is a stronger joint but doesn't have the same repor as "TIG".
    If you need a definitive answer you need to find someone that inspects these types of chassis or even certifies them.
    Pictures on a welding forum aren't the answers your son needs when he's cartwheeling at speed.

Comment

Sorry I'm a little late to this discussion.....But on the subject of 4130 tubing and 309 ss rod it has been used successfully by many chassis builders and from the metallurgy reports I've seen with good reason as the key word I've seen is greater "Ductility " in the weld zone joint when other factors like back purging or normalizing is not commonly used ......I for one like it as you don't see the normal cracks you might see after using the chassis for extended periods.....in fact my race car was built using 309 pursuant to SFI specs....and not a crack in it after hundreds of runs.....But again I'm not saying anyone should use the product either as a sound , safe chassis must first start with a well engineered design , tight fitting clean joints , the right products and someone capable behind the torch and pedal. Click image for larger version

Name:	40chasis.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	621346 Click image for larger version

Name:	racecar2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	621347 Click image for larger version

Name:	1995CHRR_Terry Rose.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	6.98 MB
ID:	621348

Comment

That second chassis is certainly far superior to the first one you showed us. Doesn’t look cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          That second chassis is certainly far superior to the first one you showed us. Doesn’t look cheap either.
          Not sure Ryan what other chassis were you referring too? Was it a 2x4 Off Road Rectangular chassis?

Comment

The first photo I looked at, photo Blogs upper right corner, the weld missed the tube and left a gap.
            The second frame looks way better.

Good luck,
            Bob

Photo number 3, not blogs.
            Millermatic 252 w/30A
            Big Blue Air Pak
            Ellis 3000 Band Saw
            Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
            8-RC
            Dynasty 200 DX
            XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
            Millermatic 211
            Passport Plus
            Spectrum 625 X-TREME
            Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
            2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
            SA-200 Black Face '59
            SA-200 Green Lite '84
            SA-200 Green Lite '80
            SA-200 Red Face '69
            SA-200 Red Face '66
            SA-200 Green Lite '81
            '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Tarry, the first set of pictures the OP put up the welds didn’t look near as good as the second chassis pictures.

Comment

Working...
              X