Big Blue 400 Voltage Spike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Blue 400 Voltage Spike.

While running my 12vs arc reach suitcase off Big Blue 400, it’ll run perfect short arc for 8 seconds or so. Suddenly I can see and hear a change in the arc and it will suddenly start sputtering. When I release the trigger, I see the voltage has suddenly spiked to 30 or so.

I’m running .030 70S-6 steel wire at 17.3 bolts and 310 IPM wire speed with C25 shielding gas. The initial 8 seconds of welding is perfect then the sudden spike happens. If trigger is released and immediately pressed again, it’ll run great and suddenly spike after roughly the same amount of time.

I have replaced all the connections and ground clamp. The steel is perfectly clean and all mechanical aspects of the connections and material are good.

Has anyone else experienced this? The Big Blue and suitcase are 2-3 years old. They are also Arc Reach. I tried running several 7018 1/8” rods at 120 amps back to back without a problem. It seems to be only with the suitcase doing short arc. I’m going to try flux cored but need to figure out why I’m getting the huge voltage spike. Thanks.
Working...
X