Calculating wire feed speed from amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating wire feed speed from amps

I'm using a Miller welding robot (Tawers WG3/Panasonic welder). Does anyone know if there is a way to calculate wire feed speed if you only know the amps? My program has the amps set to 265 and I've been asked what the wire feed speed is based on that number.

I've asked around and haven't found an answer. Thanks

Are you trying to determine what WFS the power supply/feeder has determined based on the your program amps or what WFS you need to provide to the feeder based on wire characteristics to maintain 265 amps?

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
      Are you trying to determine what WFS the power supply/feeder has determined based on the your program amps or what WFS you need to provide to the feeder based on wire characteristics to maintain 265 amps?
      I believe what WFS the welder has determined based on the program amps.

Comment

I am assuming you already contacted Panasonic. Don't those have a data logger that can provide historical weld parameters?

Comment

It's also going to depend very much on the wire size, wire type, wire composition, shielding gas, transfer mode, and the like, I would imagine... So rather than calculating it, if you're trying to hit a certain amperage, you'd just keep feeding wire faster until you reached it.

Are you trying to avoid measuring your actual wire feed rate? Unspooling a couple feet from the reel, marking the feet off with a sharpie, and timing how long it takes your marks to get to the feed inlet is pretty easy...

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
            I am assuming you already contacted Panasonic. Don't those have a data logger that can provide historical weld parameters?
            I contacted Miller, I didn't think to contact Panasonic. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
              It's also going to depend very much on the wire size, wire type, wire composition, shielding gas, transfer mode, and the like, I would imagine... So rather than calculating it, if you're trying to hit a certain amperage, you'd just keep feeding wire faster until you reached it.

Are you trying to avoid measuring your actual wire feed rate? Unspooling a couple feet from the reel, marking the feet off with a sharpie, and timing how long it takes your marks to get to the feed inlet is pretty easy...
              Panasonic welders use amps not wire feed speed, although this can be changed. We have Thermal Arc welders that are also set using amps. All our programs are set in amps not wire feed speed. I think I might toss in the towel on this one, although you have a good idea about marking the wire and timing it.

Comment

My first thought was also to measure the wire directly in some manner. Maybe count the revolutions of the spool and use the diameter of that outer layer of wire.

Comment

Ballpark
                  https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com...-up-gmaw-.html

---Meltedmetal
                  ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X