MM210 welding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM210 welding issues

I have a MM210, it about 20 years old. Have been having MIG welding issues with both steel and aluminum. The aluminum is the gun and that being deal with now. On the steel the machine was welding really horrible, it was very erratic at start of arc lots of splatter and popping. I had a repair guy look over it and he changed rollers, relay, and liner. The old contacts were very worn and black. Like they have been arcing some. That seemed to help a bunch, but now ( three months later) it doing the same welding quality issues again. I took off the relay today and tried to inspect the contacts. They looked kind of black but its hard to see them clearly. So I guess I am asking for guidance, is this something that sounds familiar to someone? Any suggestions for repairing? I am but to trash the entire setup and purchase a new one. I weld on weekend only and not a full time professional, so not wanting to spend several thousands if I don't have to.

Can we see what exactly you are calling really horrible welds? Can you tell us ALL your settings, including polarity, shielding gas, flow rate, etc. Tell us what exactly you were welding. When was the last time it was welding properly, and what's changed since then or did it weld great one day and horrible the next day? What experience with welding machines did the "repair guy" have?

Why did he change the rollers? Did he test how well the other ones were working first? Why did he change the relay? Just appearance of contacts (they ALL arc, every time) or did he test its actual performance? Why did he change the liner? Did he test the old one first?

What is the condition of the contact tip of the MIG gun? What size is it? What wire are you running? You have to tell us everything as if we were looking at the machine trying to come up with ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
      Can we see what exactly you are calling really horrible welds?
      I will try to get a picture

Can you tell us ALL your settings,
      Voltage tap on #3, wire speed on 40, I have moved it from 20 to 50 just checking. 20 is two slow and 50 is way to fast the wire is hitting work piece before it melts if that makes since. At 50 I can feel the wire moving the gun as it hits the work piece.

including polarity,
      I am ignorant it this category. All I know is that I have not messed with polarity in 18 years on this machine.

shielding gas,
      75% Argon-25%

flow rate,
      When welding 20CFM

Tell us what exactly you were welding.
      It happens often, I weld mostly steel 1/8" to 1'4" on weekends only

When was the last time it was welding properly, and what's changed since then or did it weld great one day and horrible the next day?
      Best I can recollect is that this has been going on for a few I just didn't notice it are was willing to deal with it.

What experience with welding machines did the "repair guy" have? He the repair guy works at the local welding machine center he in town, and has years of experience. I called him on the weekend and he came over and changed the relay, rollers, and liner. It seemed to be better after that repair, but now it appears to be going back to the same symptoms. At start of arc it pops and cracks bad, then it will weld good on and off through the weld. When it weld bad it popping and cracking with lots of splatter on work piece and plenty of splatter build up on nozzle of the gun.

Why did he change the rollers? Did he test how well the other ones were working first?
      Since they were the original he suggested it was best to change them. No other reason than that.

Why did he change the relay? Just appearance of contacts (they ALL arc, every time) or did he test its actual performance?
      Did not test reply, contact looked bad and he changed it.

Why did he change the liner? Did he test the old one first?
      Same here said it was best to change it due to its age.

What is the condition of the contact tip of the MIG gun?
      I would consider them decent. I change them often

What size is it?

What wire are you running?
      UNIBRAZE (ER70S-6) .030. Been running the same wire, tips, gas and pressure for years out of this machine.

Today I ran a few beads with my MM211 to see the difference. This machine is a few years old and the weld were much better. Perfect at start up and thought the weld. Very little splatter and no popping or cracking.

So I guess it boils down to the older MM210 at arc start up and thought the weld popping and cracking with plenty of splatter and as far as I can remember it started slowly and has gotten progressively worse. I tried to take a video and it came out bad. Any tricks here to get a clear viewable video with iPhone 7?

You have to tell us everything as if we were looking at the machine trying to come up with ideas.
      I hope this clears up a few questions.

Comment

Well, it did answer all my questions, but unfortunately it confirmed the issue isn't an obvious one! Sorry. I'll peruse it again later when I have some time.

Comment

Ok Thanks for trying. I am pricing a new MM252 or a Multimatic 255. Any opinions on either of these?

Comment

Before you buy a new machine, I'd make sure to look at the work cable and clamp just to be sure. I've seen a machine that was running poorly turn into a champ just by fixing the work clamp or the connections.

Comment

Working...
            X