Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma Cutter arc issues (NOT MILLER CUTTER)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Cutter arc issues (NOT MILLER CUTTER)

So i purchased the 55DS plasma cutter earlier this year from "yeswelder" and finally got around to opening it up this past week and having trouble getting the arc to stay on in order to cut anything thin or thick..i couldnt find any forums on their website just blogs on "how to" techniques, but nothing on troubleshooting. From what i could find on youtube for general plasma cutting issues.. i tried some of those suggestions but still nothing..

if anyone is familiar with their product, I have tried setting it on 2T and 4T, I have the amps set to 45(but have tried other settings down to 30 and up to 55) on the front gauge it reads around 30psi. The line coming into the regulator on the back is coming in at around 60psi. I have checked the consumables that were already installed on the torch/gun.

what else can i check to find out why im having this issue, when i pull the trigger i do get air and arc for a split second. Once i get on the material (using the clip on guide) which is about an 1/8" or closer to the material, i get arc, but cuts off almost instantly.

I have the ground a few inches away from the cut on the scrap im using.. I have tried less air pressure, i have tried more, im just not familiar enough with plasma cutters in general to know what else to try or look at..

THE ONLY thing i have NOT done is remove the tip from the gun. Since everything was already pre-installed, i just insured that everything was snug/tight and went outside to test it out.

I have emailed their support, but havent heard back yet from them, so figured i would post on here for some general help.

I have a picture and video of what is happening, it would be great to get this working ASAP so i can make some "slots" in some flat bars for a current project.

thank you

I'm not familiar with the Yeswelder line but it sounds like poor ground(clean the attachment point on the material you are cutting) or insufficient or blocked air. I have a Primeweld Cut60 that I supply with 125 psi and adjust the machine to 65 to 80 psi. Are your air settings what is recommended for that machine?
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

lol thats a funny question: ( Are your air settings what is recommended for that machine? )
      the manual that comes with the cutter is about 4 pages long and there are no "recommended" settings.. there are no "recommended" settings in the manual at all.. Im trying my settings based on the videos i have found for that model on youtube..
      I have checked all connections are secure and tight, i will be working on my stuff this evening so i can def clean up the material im trying to cut and try again. ill also undo the torch end and recheck all the consumables.

As for the PSI im providing the unit, im going based on what the regulator gauge says.. i can dial it up a bit more, but so far all the videos i saw everyone was in the 60psi range and were successful in their cuts.

but i will def clean up the metal and try again.

Comment

60 psi is good

Comment

Sounds like you're getting the pilot arc but not the cutting arc. As mentioned above, check for proper grounding. Try arcing directly to the ground clamp. Check consumables are correct and tight. Try holding tip closer to workpiece, not using any guide. Make sure you're using a stable 240V power source, such as by connecting another load to the same outlet and making sure it works. Make sure the air gauge doesn't drop when the cut starts. Check any safeties like a switch that makes sure the consumables are installed.

Try replacing it with a Miller.

Comment

A friend of mine has a “whatever” brand plasma cutter and he was having similar trouble, pilot arc and that’s about it. We discovered that the gun is very sensitive to how the tip components are installed. Slightly too tight, no work. Slightly too loose, no work. Plus, you say you haven’t taken the tip apart, so you’re assuming the 8 year old in China managed to assemble it correctly. There should be three parts, the tip, the electrode and the swirl ring. If any of those are not installed like Goldielock’s bed, it’s likely to cause you trouble. Take the tip down, make sure it’s assembled correctly, try again. If I had that machine in front of me, that’s where I’d be looking for the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
              Sounds like you're getting the pilot arc but not the cutting arc. As mentioned above, check for proper grounding. Try arcing directly to the ground clamp. Check consumables are correct and tight. Try holding tip closer to workpiece, not using any guide. Make sure you're using a stable 240V power source, such as by connecting another load to the same outlet and making sure it works. Make sure the air gauge doesn't drop when the cut starts. Check any safeties like a switch that makes sure the consumables are installed.

Try replacing it with a Miller.
              So lastnight i tried again. I rechecked all connections(removed and reconnected) i polished the scrap metal until it was shiny and made sure the ground clamp was making good contact, i removed the torch consumables and reinstalled, everything is snug, ground clamp was maybe 5inches from the edge i was cutting and the support response i got from them wasnt that great, so if i cant get this working im sending it back and def looking for something more reliable and better quality..

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                A friend of mine has a “whatever” brand plasma cutter and he was having similar trouble, pilot arc and that’s about it. We discovered that the gun is very sensitive to how the tip components are installed. Slightly too tight, no work. Slightly too loose, no work. Plus, you say you haven’t taken the tip apart, so you’re assuming the 8 year old in China managed to assemble it correctly. There should be three parts, the tip, the electrode and the swirl ring. If any of those are not installed like Goldielock’s bed, it’s likely to cause you trouble. Take the tip down, make sure it’s assembled correctly, try again. If I had that machine in front of me, that’s where I’d be looking for the problem.

I believe i reassembled everything snuggly lastnight.. it did come with extra consumables, maybe i can try another set of them and also remove the "guide" as well and do as bushytails suggested and get closer, but right now its maybe 1/8" or less from the material so maybe not the issue. ill post pictures of what the metal looks like

Comment

OH also, im running it on 110v, it does have the 220v adapter, but my current 220 outlet is not the same plug, so at the moment, cant run it off that for testing purposes

Also in the pic/video i will eventually upload im trying on 3/16" bar, but i get the same results and reactions on 1/8" and some thin gauge metal as well..
                  Last edited by cubangt; 06-01-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_175843.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	5.54 MB
ID:	620642 I guess i cant upload the video showing how the torch is acting when i try.. but you can see that its not even making it thru, those "holes" are where i would pull the trigger again to start or continue.

Comment

They generally don't actually work on 110V unless you're trying to cut aluminum foil. Run it on 220V for further testing. That image makes it look like you are getting the cutting arc, but it's way too weak to actually cut.
                      Last edited by Bushytails; 06-01-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

i picked up some 10/2 cable and plug/outlet so i can make a small extension cord to connect to my 220 outlet in the garage this weekend, but all the videos i have watched for this welder everyone has success on both 110 and 220, but im willing to try anything at this point as i really need to make some cuts and this is really setting me back.

Comment

I agree with bushy, I don’t think they work well outside of very thin material on 115v. It also looks to me like you’re getting the cutting arc and trying to use it like it’s a razor knife. Have you used a plasma cutter before?

Something else I would suggest is not trying to freehand cut stuff. You really should find a piece of material to clamp to your stock and use as a guide.

I generally have my plasma tip right down on the material when I’m cutting. It doesn’t work like a cutting torch. Many of your tips are the type that are dragged directly across the material. Even if it’s not a drag tip, you need to get it right down on the metal you’re cutting, especially with those small plasma cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            I agree with bushy, I don’t think they work well outside of very thin material on 115v. It also looks to me like you’re getting the cutting arc and trying to use it like it’s a razor knife. Have you used a plasma cutter before?

Something else I would suggest is not trying to freehand cut stuff. You really should find a piece of material to clamp to your stock and use as a guide.

I generally have my plasma tip right down on the material when I’m cutting. It doesn’t work like a cutting torch. Many of your tips are the type that are dragged directly across the material. Even if it’s not a drag tip, you need to get it right down on the metal you’re cutting, especially with those small plasma cutters.
                            Its been a minute, but i have used a plasma cutter in the past and never had problems before and that was with a friends cheaper cutter. The freehand was with the assistance of the standoff guide that is clipped to the ceramic shield.

After more testing and making that extension cord to connect to my 220v outlet, everything started working correctly. I was able to cut a few test pieces and eventually moved over to my actual customer project to make the cuts.

I am in business now, just sucks cause i only have 1 220v outlet in the garage and that was for my compressor, which i kinda need for the cutter, so for the time being, im filling the compressor with a full tank and then switching over to the cutter to complete my cuts, pain, but lucky i only have 4 slots to cut per customer order and i have plenty of air and pressure to complete 2 orders before having to refill the tank.

Ill probably pull out my small pancake compressor for the cutter and go that route, but i needed a quick solution last week and i got it and customer orders are complete and happy.

Comment

Good deal. Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X