how to tell if the gun liner is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell if the gun liner is bad?

So I was trying to finish up some welds on the projects im working on and the gun started to act weird, and stopped feeding the wire, i opened the panel and the wire had broken off after the feed wheel. So i clipped the spool, pulled the bad wire out of the gun and fed the new wire in, pulled the nozzle off and pulled the trigger to feed the wire thru, but at some point in the process, the wire stopped and and stopped and eventually broke off again just after the feed wheel..

Is there something i can check or clean or am i in need of a new liner?

New liners are reasonable. You can tell if it’s kinked or worn just pushing the wire through by hand. Just lay the gun out straight and push the wire
    Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      New liners are reasonable. You can tell if it’s kinked or worn just pushing the wire through by hand. Just lay the gun out straight and push the wire
      ok, that sounds easy enough, i saw the liners lastnight around $25 to $35 bucks, cheap enough to replace or at least order in case it is bad and not have to be done another day.

Comment

Well i think its def the liner, i removed the gun off the machine and and couldnt even get the new wire into the end of the liner
        I looked online and all the liners i could find are 15ft, but my gun setup that came with the welder is a bernard 10ft ..

Can i get the 15ft liner and cut the end off? Or is there a good source for 10ft liner?

I ended up swapping out the gun and setup my tig to finish the few welds i had left on this clients piece, but need to get my gun setup back up and running..

Any suggestions?

Comment

15 is fine. Lay the new liner next to the old one mark and cut it off. Wiz wheel or side cutters
          Bob Wright

Comment

ok easy enough.. next question, i found "universal" liners and brand specific liners..I didnt see a model number on the gun itself, unless i didnt look in the correct place.. but i dug out the original box that the whole gun assembly came in and its a Bernard 235570 150A, "Q" gun/cable assembly 10'(3.05m), .030"(0.8mm), Miller

thats what is on the side of the box.. Since this is for the entire assembly wasnt sure how to purchase the correct liner? do i get a bernard liner or miller liner? or does it matter as long as the ID is the same?

Comment

Bernard liner
              Bob Wright

Comment

Looks like this one would work, since its listed for the "Q" gun
                https://store.cyberweld.com/bernard-...er-l3b-15.html

here is what im planning on ordering if the hose and coupler work correctly together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	order.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	620599

Comment

You want the Miller 194011 Liner for the Bernard Q150 mig gun. 030-035
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Bernard liner number L3B-10
                    Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks, but how did you find that information out? Was i not looking it up correctly? Is there a model number on the gun assembly or existing liner that i could have found?

Just want to make sure i know where i should have looked.

Comment

I had to hunt and peck on the millerwelds website. Plus I am an ex Miller sales guy who still remembers a few things. We had that machine and gun on our shelf. I really wanted it but not a fan of the guns they used then
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Well finally ordered the liner, should arrive next week.. been using my TIG setup and trying to get back into the grove of it, hadnt tig'd in like 5 or 6 yrs.
                          Would be nice to get back to my mig setup to make my current project a little quicker to tack together.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                            Bernard liner number L3B-10
                            Received the liner last week, replaced it this weekend and im back in business, thank you for the model number..

Comment

Welcome
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X