Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is happening with my bead?

So im working on some "catalytic convertor shields" for customers cars
    since im working outside and this past weekend it was really windy, ive been using gasless flux core wire to do the welding..

I cleaned and slightly beveled the ends to do the joints. besides my unsteady hands, what am i doing wrong to get those little pits in the weld?

From what i could find, seems these are side effects from "porosity" but im not using gas right now.. I do have mig wire and 75/25 to weld with, but last time i use that outside in windy conditions it was more trouble than it was worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220520_143520.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	620562

I have a few more orders to complete and would like to try and dial this in with the remaining orders..

Im using 0.035 wire in my MultiMatic 200 the flat bar is 3/16 thick

any help would be great.

Tell us all of your settings, including polarity.

Comment

Man, ill have to check this evening and post back, but the dial is set to "Flux Cored" setting, material thickness set to 3/16"
      NOW i will say that before cleaning up the weld with the wire wheel the weld was mostly brown and black around the edges.. the only thing i didnt do with these frames were wiping them down with acetone, i cleaned the areas where the welds were going only..

Comment

Originally posted by cubangt View Post
        Man, ill have to check this evening and post back, but the dial is set to "Flux Cored" setting, material thickness set to 3/16"
        Changing from MIG to flux-cored requires swapping the lead plugs to change polarity in addition to the dial setting on the machine.
        Last edited by MAC702; 05-23-2022, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I agree with Mac, polarity is wrong.

Comment

here are the connections and settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220523_193951.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	620575
            Attached Files

Comment

Always wanted that welder
              Bob Wright

Comment

Reduce the voltage a little

https://youtu.be/iD7Y57gK3yU

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  Changing from MIG to flux-cored requires swapping the lead plugs to change polarity in addition to the dial setting on the machine.
                  Yea i remember changing that last year when i switched to flux core wire.. ill double check the settings tonight since i now have to figure out why the wire is not feeding thru the gun liner anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
                    Reduce the voltage a little

https://youtu.be/iD7Y57gK3yU
                    Ill also give this a try, i mean i do get some good welds, but i noticed that on some i was getting the above results.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      Always wanted that welder
                      When i bought it, i got a great deal, it came with all 3 setup's it had a huge rebate and i also got the spoolgun with it... and so far its def paid for itself few times overs..

Comment

reduce V or up the speed a little.

Comment

For right now i had to switch over to my TIG setup, the gun liner seems to be jammed or something because i couldnt even manually feed the wire in. But im trying to get it fixed quickly so i can go back to mig welding these projects instead of TIG, but need to finish them up ASAP, so working with what i have at the moment.

Once i get my mig setup again, ill def try the above suggestions and see if that helps.

thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X