X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
    I have never heard it called a stinger before....
    Travel more. :-)

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    I have never heard it called a stinger before....

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I hope you got some 1/4” 7018 coming. That big old girl will laugh at you if you stab a little 1/8” rod in her stinger.

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    Leads will be here shortly and I'll get a SMAW test in. I'll start a new thread in a couple of days and we can get back to the 330a/bp. :-)

Thanks to all the folks that provided helpful input!

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I took on a job at a service company that I talked in to buying a crane and puttijng another truck with men. It was easy and synergistic and went with the existing customers. So,,, We get it, its pretty easy and/but the to be operator/owner didnt know and needed the help to do the setup. It was ok once it was going and after a little while he could manage to swing a few trusses without hitting somesthing and it let me work on services. At first the companies provided their own rousties and labor and treated it like a rental but as it went I trick it up and eventually eliminate some bottle necks that come from "experience",,,, which was that anyone still doing that cept for a few were slugs and this whole trade so to speak was hand to mouth learned.
    I have grown to appreciate the formal education.
    Anyway,,, I told my boss, we finally rig one and although he had golf on his mind I say,,,, these guys collectively have 100's of years, I dont think they read trhe structions or look at the pitchurs. I watch those guys tear it apart,,, today they aint here, we gonna take it apart like I think,,,, he figures another long day,,,, oh no, couple hrs later, 1 operator, 1 mechanic instead of 3 and we done.
    Not that everything goes that way but from there it got to be,,, well,,, lets wait a few minjutes till Cary gets here 4 we start.

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios View Post

Yeah, like triple what he paid for the whole rig, last time I checked!
    Well, y'all can't have it! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I got a guy I might try to hire a bit. Its neat, can sit in my office and discuss it, off he goes, comes back, its done, its done especially if I explain some details,,, where the valve or disconnect is, there is a bulldozer out there, a shovel and a chain in the tool box and off he goes. I am amazed how many with great experience cant listen for imortant stuff and follow along to get started. can come to a stop for any and every first reason,,, these aint kids either. Lots of CDL drivers kind of ****ty for several reasons but how many think 20 mph is a complete stop.
    The skill level in this sense not always able to learn in a book. A couple the best I know barely read till they were 50, but put them in a loader or grader and a practical schedule and it gets done. They know when no one cares about havinjg a smoke, they FEEL their boss and other workers around them, they know when to push it along,,, we aint gonna get done if we dont,,, etc, they understand finishj by quitting time today, difference between rinse and scrub, different than storing for the season, its different than real tech stuff, iuts what makes it flow.
    One of my Buds get put out to pasture for a couple years. His boss wants him there but knows he cant ride him so he on a roller half a day and last guy the customer sees.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I got another neighbor, guy is about imp[ossible and I warn some guys he works with. He got the wrong panels bonded in metal structure and shock on steel bench, I do everything to try to splain this missing link and he totally stuck on the 20A breaker theory, does not have a clue in the structure he is in has connecting parts carrying floating neutrals as well as some ungrounded enclosures. The guy is a DC genius, can take a tractor burned right out and wire it in a week and gets no argument from me he understands basic electricity better,,, GREAT but you leave ambush equipment stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I did a lot wrong first generation I did to my own and really go back and fix most of it. I have a little short list I peck at. As I mention the mentors didnt probe till they were sure in some way I knew and since my mechanical work is good its easy to slide along, always did the simple well, match a wire and breaker cept for some 10 cable on welder circuits, usually short stuff rigged to panels, all within the user and got to remember with this exception that they assume this is not automatic 100% and operator has read tand understands basic manual to say stop when the thing starts to glow.
    I been around a few buzzers. Really the only ones I see fail are aged out and maybe a time or 2 someone fools with the switch, maybe a switch or 2, lots of the leads still in service for 50 years.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I would like to see more elaboration on some fundamentals of circuit design. My own learnin was too slow by mentors didnt alway7s know or didnt know how to teach. One of my best buds, real genius with a touch I use as consultant for problems cant teach anything. He never had any real classes past high school shop and just doesnt get it. When I am doing this or with new people I want to do I train, I go thru it like a course. Some people are sponges, some gonna be contrary all the time. I never learned the first way, its why I can tell these things on forum, they are my own defects and shortcomings in regard for it, none of it meant to be specific but geared more to helping the poster or sincere question to come to a good conclusion of their own.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I had a call,,, ok the 175 breaker is wide open screaming its guts out. They might be specialty, personally might use a 125 and number 2. If a guy is looking at the manual note the wiring method,,, no plug, wired to a disconnect. This could be the breaker if its local to the machine. Use a piece of flex conduit, 2 ungrounded conductors and a number 6 ground conductor.
    Reason for this is,,,, (it gets smeared in other threads) that circuits over 100A require 6 ground. This is why circuits over 60 not wired 6 cable, the conductors are fine at higher current short cycles but number 10 ground wire that comes in the cable is limited to 60A.
    When a guy uses a 6/50 its limited to the use of a 50 breaker. Its not that the outlet wont handle it but its a code issue, the outlet says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is a circuit with breaker current limited to 50A for smaller machines that come with factory cord and plug.
    If this doesnt make sense ask again,,, there are others, Mac for one lic master sparky.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I gonjna look for giggles. It will run from that plug and cord but,,,

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    These get wired to the wall a lot of ways, most of them work but there is a correct way if you are interested. If I really used mine would actually wire it correct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ha When they are off and breaker is off it doesnt matter so much.
    The manual is confusing. I'd heard before that these machines needed a 125A disconnect for full capability. The manual states the use of Forum copper for 230 v operation. Forum has a max amperage of 130 depending on sheath capability. THHN and other high temp sheaths in conduit will accommodate 130A but most common cables would max at 90 or 115 amps. The manual table says to fuse Forum to 175 amps????? What?!?!?

If wired to full capacity portability around the shop is out the window. Probably have to order 100' SMAW leads. LOL I don't think they make wc tig that long.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    If that foot pedal works at all it’s worth more than you paid for the whole machine.
    Yeah, like triple what he paid for the whole rig, last time I checked!

Leave a comment:

• stickermigtigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    These get wired to the wall a lot of ways, most of them work but there is a correct way if you are interested. If I really used mine would actually wire it correct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ha When they are off and breaker is off it doesnt matter so much.
    Private Messages cu stranded cable

Leave a comment:

Working...
X