No announcement yet.

Need Advice - Selling my O/A Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good point Cary. There's a part of me that doesn't like the o/a in the garage with the mechanicals - I have never had or heard of an issue, but get lectured on it a lot lately. Outside of that, o/a works for everything but heavy heating, and I used my old o/p rosebud maybe five times in the ten years I had it (used the cutter to heat a lot though). I may get more heat out of o/p than my 130cf acetylene tank allows, and it removes the fuel gas from the garage. It still lets me braze most things and weld aluminum sheet, which is what I have used my gas torches for the most in the last 5 years.

Comment

If concerned store tanks outside until needed. Storing tanks inside is perfectly safe as long as you use common sense. Probably tens of thousands of tanks, if not more, kept inside everyday. Just shut them off when not in use. Having it available one time when needed will make them priceless.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Well... I probably should have looked closer over the furnace and boiler before gearing up for preventive maintenance.... Electric boiler and sealed burner in the furnace, intake and exhaust direct to outside. Back to doing what I normally do... I might still get the propane tips to try it out for brazing and AL welding. It seems like both Harris and Victor have a lot more options/attachments for their medium and light duty torches - a used one for o/p heating and cutting may be the way to go, and for about a third of what I sold my Smith medium duty set. Thanks and sorry everyone for the mental drill ...

A bigger issue probably would have been the loose connectors I discovered in the 240V receptacles. After patching the wall, I pulled the receptacles to vacuum out any debris that found its way into the j-box. One of the conductors popped off as I pulled the receptacle out. I found all of the conductors loose on both receptacles. This was for work from a paid electrician because I'm in a new build and warranty/New Mexico permitting stuff...

Comment

I have seen plenty of distinctly bad work from licensed electricians. At least around here, getting a license depends a lot more on work hours than on competence. Rather than properly testing new electricians, you have to have a stupid amount of apprentice hours, which just produces new electricians who do the same things wrong while creating a huge barrier to entry that discourages people from becoming electricians if they're not in a place where they can dedicate years of their life to working for non-livable wages...

Comment

Sadly that is most trades, especially when folks are only available few and far between. This electrician was well recommended and probably had something else on his mind. I walked in about two hours into the job (two 50 amp receptacles, 12" and 17" below the panel took longer than I would have expected, though he did have very straight lines in the drywall...) as the electrician was punching out the wrong breaker cutouts in the panel. If I didn't stop him, I would have 7 instead of the 4 plastic spacer/covers he added after a drive to the local hardware store - I cleaned everything up when he was out fetching the parts just to make the job shorter. I should have known to check after that...

Comment

Before leaving the Oxy-Fuel discussion, anyone have input on a Victor 100 (250 or 260 actually) vs a Harris 43-2 for heating/cutting? Neither would be new. It looks like either has a lot of options for heating/cutting in different fuels. Mixers and tips seem to come in all sorts of original and import (if there is a difference other than the cost). If I hadn't sold my Smith Handle/Cutter/Rosebud, then I wouldn't be looking, but what I sold the set for covers the small Smith tips us a used Harris or Victor.

Comment

That's way beyond my pay grade... I have an assortment of victor stuff I've picked up from various estate sales, and no idea what any of it is.

Comment

Working...
                X