Need Advice - Selling my O/A Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice - Selling my O/A Sets

I just changed careers and moved, and need to fit a lot into a "two-car" attached garage. All mechanicals are in the garage, and the garage needs to include both a gym (non-negotiable domestic agreement, i.e. wife said so), and needs to be my multi-purpose workshop (some wood work, mostly electronics and metal work).

I I have other means to weld and cut, but not really to heat (anneal and bend). That includes a Thermal Arc 250 GTSW (fixed frequency AC/DC inverter Tig) and a Powermig 300 (multi-process with pulsed mig), plus project multi-process/Tig welder and plasma cutter projects.

So am I crazy to sell my last O/A set - a Smith aircraft torch set with AC-4/125 O2 tanks, tips within the 1/7 rule, cutter, gas saver, and Tinman lens? I don't anticipate too many auto projects any time soon (2 year old son), and don't like the idea of the house boiler/furnace sharing the garage (~3000 cubic foot empty, a 6x12" vent at ceiling and floor level, and a 8" flap vent just above the boiler). It seems like I could meet the needs if required with a turbo torch or weed burner (pull the propane tank from the BBQ) to heat/bend/anneal.

Anyways, thank you in advance for your thoughts and/or support...

Jon

They are a big waste of space when not being used. My Victor Journeyman set is in the backyard. I'm actually considering selling it, too, just because it's used so rarely now. I use the small plumbing kits to do HVAC copper brazing all the time with Oxy/Acetylene, but it been years since I torch-cut some plate to build a firepit ring for a buddy.

Comment

If you only need to heat and cut, but not gas weld, oxy-propane works great, and you'd only need to keep an oxygen tank around (switch to a smaller one if you don't plan on using it a lot) and steal the bbq tank as needed. I haven't found propane torches without oxygen get hot enough for anything but the smallest heating tasks - the flame just isn't hot enough to put heat into metal as quickly as the rest of the part is sucking heat out of it. Another option is one of those portable torch setups, but the low withdrawal rate of the MC tank greatly limits their usefulness. For oxy-propane, you'd just need to pick up some propane tips for your torch. If you have R hoses, you might consider upgrading to T, but people seem to ignore it and not have a problem.

Comment

Thanks guys. I sold off my Oxy-propane torch setup (medium duty Smith handle with o/p cutting/heating/brazing attachments) and my Henrob a little while ago, and have kept the aircraft torch setup because I have done the most with it, and it took me a long time to get good enough for thin aluminum and tube chassis work with it. I do have the oxy-propane mixer for it, just haven't picked up the Paige tools adapter for the Paige/Meco tips for it. My biggest issue is not using it enough in the future and having the regulators go again (happened to me in the early 2000's). My second biggest issue is finding someone out here who would find value in specialty stuff like lightweight torch, tinman lenses and Gasaver. I also don't like it in the garage with the furnace/boiler and a little one running around. My thoughts are to:

1. Sell as a complete outfit, with torch, tips, Gasaver and Oxy-Fuel delivery/safety stuff.

2. Sell cylinder through hose, keep the torch check valve and out plus lenses in the case I need a setup down the road.

3. Part out the acetylene cylinder and regulators, keep the Gasaver, torch, tips/attachments, and lenses. Trade in the O2 tank for another argon cylinder.

4. Keep it...

Comment

This sounds like it's going to come down to soul searching rather than advice...

Comment

Easy. #4.

You’re welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
              This sounds like it's going to come down to soul searching rather than advice...
              Yeah, my torches have more history than utility nowadays.

Ryan, I appreciate the encouragement, but probably need to sell at least part of the setup. I am leaning towards parting out and keeping the torch/Gasaver/lenses at my FIL's farm. I'll probably post it complete to see if the EAA or bicycle folks out here could use it.
              Last edited by jjohn76; 04-09-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Small world...lol I know that guy that sold those lenses you mentioned in the OP

Comment

You can keep that setup at my house.

Comment

I would feel kind of lost without one, it could be simple OP but need a way to heat and cut.

Comment

Seems like my torch set sits up for a while and then when I need it, I used the living daylights out of it for a while, then she sit up again. But I have to have it here. Wouldn’t be without one.

Comment

Mac, do you keep your o/a set out back because of space or fire hazard? I have always taken a lot of precautions when storing and using my set in my garage, but the in-garage boiler and furnace, plus non-shop stuff in the garage is a first for me.

Comment

My big outfit is outside just to keep it out of the way. My portable kit is in the truck toolbox at all times, with extra oxygen and acetylene cylinders. I'll probably need new hoses on the big kit next time I need it just from sun damage.

Comment

I posted my acetylene cylinder, will see if it goes enough to cover costs for the oxy-propane tip adapters and Meco Ox (Tinmantech sells them) oxy-propane tips. The rosebud tips for that torch seem very low for BTU. I might look for a big handle for cutting/heating - always seems to be a SC-225 or 229 available for cheaper than the AW-1A heating options.

Comment

If I had something that worked might sell extra but why trade sideways, keep something simple in case you need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X