Miller 250G with Onan Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 250G with Onan Engine

Just purchased this from an estate sale and surprising it won't start unless you pour gas into the carb. In looking at the line going to the fuel tank, it doesn't look like it sealing. I see the parts on Amazon to fix it, but don't know how to get into the tank. Should I remove the gas tank? If so, how? (and yes I am a newbie) Thanks !

My brother’s got a bobcat with a Onan engine and it was doing that. He was pouring gas in the carb to start it.
    I started checking it out and the choke flap wasn’t closing. There was some kind of a washer that was worn out in the linkage on the carb. I spun the washer to a different position and it let the choke flap close when you pulled the choke cable handle. Part was obsolete if I remember right it’s been several years ago.

Comment

Just to clarify, it won't start without pouring gas in carb but once you do that it starts and runs fine?
      If it starts and dies it may be a fuel pump issue. First disconnect fuel line at carb. Put line in bottle or something to catch gas, crank over and you should have fuel coming out of hose. If not the pump may be bad. Factory pump is vacuum operated and may have a bad diaphram or a bad vaccuum hose.
      If it runs fine once you get it started then it's most likely a dirty carb issue but check to make sure choke is working properly before disassembling carb.
      You can get fuel line at any auto parts store. If you pull it apart I would replace all the rubber lines.
      fyi fuel tank is in middle of machine at bottom. You access by removing battery and panel behind battery. Then you disconnect straps and filler to slide out tank.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Thanks KPack ! I may encounter that when I start getting fuel to the carb. Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

Comment

Thanks MMW ! I think getting to the fuel tank out is a first priority. I looked at the battery box to remove it, but it's been tack welded to the bottom frame. And it hold holds the engine mounting bolts. Question; would it be possible to undo the bottom frame and list the welder from the frame? Or are there other components that are attached? Thank you for taking the time to answer my post also !

Comment

There should be an end panel/battery tray that holds the battery in. It's held in with 4 bolts, 2 on each side. Once that is removed you can look in under the engine to see the next panel that needs removal to access the tank. This panel has the starter solenoid on it. No need to mess with engine bolts or anything else. Here is a pic. Two blts on end hold battery into tray, no need to remove. Remove two bolts on this side plus two on other side to remove tray. Once pulled out a bit you ca disconnect cables and remove completely. Then look inside you will see next panel to access tank. Nothing should be attached to upper engine mount plate or be welded unless someone butchered it. Mid panel may have upper plus side bolts but not engine bolts. They are like 1/4" bolts.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20220404_080856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	620177
            Last edited by MMW; 04-04-2022, 06:17 AM.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

Fuel pump issues are common.....as MMW mentioned as well as a low vacuum pulse from a worn out motor or burnt valves....Not uncommon to see those tanks filled with sludge if they haven't been ran often enough or have additives in the fuel to prevent that.....

Comment

Working...
              X