Millermatic 211 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211 problem

I recently replaced the original ground clamp with a HF 400 amp ground clamp. Everything was going great until I tried to weld some thinner metal (.060) and the welder stopped welding. The wire would still feed, gas still flowed, just wouldn't arc. After trying multiple outlets, extension cords and even going up the my other shop to try it on 240v it still did the same thing. The over-temp light would also come on and blink once ( Trigger error. Release trigger and check MIG gun for shorted trigger connection). I finally used my Lincoln 175 HD to finish with no problems. I called Miller Tech line and they said it was probably the control board. I will also add that Ive tried on both manual and auto settings. BTW, I'm on my 2nd 80cft bottle of C25 so its been used very little. I took the gun apart, pulled he cover off, everything is pristine. After a couple of days I thought I'd try it again but on a different project that was 1/8" & 1/4" mild steel and it worked great. So the problem seems to be with anything thinner than about 1/8" and it stops welding and I get the over-temp light blinking once. There is a guy on YT that had this problem welding on an exhaust system. The dealer replaced his control board a couple of times with no luck and he finally got his money back and bought a different welder, so the problem was never resolved. So (2) questions. (1) Has anyone else had this problem? (2) Is it possible that there is so little resistance with the new ground clamp and thinner metal that the computer thinks there is a short in the trigger? Here is the video of the other guy having the same problem. His is a 215 not 211.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLX24_Isw6E
    Last edited by Electriccharge; 02-27-2022, 09:47 PM.

Originally posted by Electriccharge View Post
    ...(2) Is it possible that there is so little resistance with the new ground clamp and thinner metal that the computer thinks there is a short in the trigger?
    No. It's definitely something else.

Comment

That's a new one to me. Is this the older MVP or the newer inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by jjohn76 View Post
        That's a new one to me. Is this the older MVP or the newer inverter?
        I believe its inverter. Its about 4 years old. I was out for 2 years with a bunch of surgeries which is why it has so little time on it. Here is the video of the other guy having the same problem. His is a 215 not 211.
        Last edited by Electriccharge; 02-27-2022, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          No. It's definitely something else.
          I used it today with absolutely no problems on 1-1/2 x .120 tube. If I try something thinner It will stop and have the same code. Here is the video of the other guy having the same problem. His is a 215 not 211.
          Last edited by Electriccharge; 02-27-2022, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X