Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse MIG Parameter

Hello,
    I am a welding engineer, and I am looking for information on Miller pulsed settings. We use Invision 456, XMT450 with S64M wire feeder. We weld mid steel with 1.2mm wire and Ar+O² gas. Our material thicknesses are about 2.5 to 4 mm, and mainly weld fillet welds. The parameters proposed by Miller are not entirely suitable for our production. I want to adjust the parameters correctly by seeking to reduce the too strong energies which tend to cause the drilling of our parts.
    Would anyone be able to share what are the rules of calculation that allow to keep a good balance between MPM / Apk / Abk / Vpk / PPS / PWms?
    Are the Miller’s settings designed for one droplet per pulse transfer?
    Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Lau, it's probably best to call Miller Tech and discuss with an Applications Engineer. They may even have a program or parameters that could work for you. Especially once you get into the custom settings for PPS, Pulse Width, Peak and Background Amps, you can end up anywhere in the spectrum of globular transfer to multiple droplet transfer per pulse. There are some general guidelines in the user manuals, but an Applications Engineer will probably save you a lot of hassle.

Comment

Lau, if you don’t mind let me know what you find out. I called Miller last week and talked to a guy and he wasn’t helpful. He stated that he didn’t have any information except what was in the manuals.
      Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller XMT 350 CC/CV Autoline
      Miller Millermatic 252
      Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
      Miller LMSW-52T
      Miller AlumaPro 25’
      Miller Spoolmatic 30A
      Miller 3045 FC Wirefeeder
      Miller XR-S
      Miller Optima
      Smith Little Torch
      Victor Journeyman Torch
      Hypertherm 45

Comment

jjohn76, Duffejo, thank you for your answers. The Miller manuals did not provide me with any information that I didn’t know. My concern is to find out what are the relations between the different parameters of the pulse. I would just like to know if it is possible to reduce my average welding energy according to my wire speed while keeping a parametric balance allowing me to stay in one drop per pulse transfer. The relations between parameters are complex and I quickly lose the parametric balance, I would like not to have to rediscover by long and expensive tests how to adjust the parameters. I contacted Miller technical support via this site and directly in my country, but no answer for the moment.

Comment

Duffejo, sorry to hear you didn't get much help. It's been a while since I looked at Miller pulsers, but if I remember right, the modes/schedules for steel were developed around 90/10 AR/CO2 mixtures.

What have you tried so far with regards to the set parameters? It might be that you can use the existing .045 steel mode and adjust your wire speed down and "voltage" knob up.

I have found in the past some papers on tuning those parameters and will see what I can dig up. Your peak and pulsewidth define the droplet transfer - they tune together to provide the right energy to detach the droplet(a). Your PPS should scale with wire speed, and you can lower background (bottom limit is just enough to maintain the arc) if you're having too much total arc energy. But once you go into custom mode, I am pretty sure you lose the adaptive arc function in the Miller pulsers.

Comment

Honestly I haven’t even started using this setup yet. I’m building my rig up, next purchase is some welding cable and dinse connectors.
            Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller Millermatic 252
            Miller LMSW-52T
            Miller AlumaPro 25’
            Miller Spoolmatic 30A
            Miller XR-S
            Miller Optima
            Smith Little Torch
            Victor Journeyman Torch
            Hypertherm 45

Comment

FWIW, I just bought wire directly from AC/DC wire and pick up the dinse on eBay, which were the best prices I found for both. The pulse has a bit higher peak than standard welding, so I know at least Lincoln recommends 2/0 minimum. That usually takes a Dinse 50-70, I don't think it will fit a Dinse 35-50, and the Dinse 70-95 is probably unnecessary (good for 4/0).

Comment

Dang I was hoping to get away with 1/0. I’ll do a little research on what Miller recommends.. but I definitely have the 70 size dinse in mind
                Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller Millermatic 252
                Miller LMSW-52T
                Miller AlumaPro 25’
                Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                Miller XR-S
                Miller Optima
                Smith Little Torch
                Victor Journeyman Torch
                Hypertherm 45

Comment

563 starting amps, 400 peak amps.

2/0 for 500 amps
                  1/0 for 400 amps

This is from Miller’s XMT350 manual, but the manufacturer states that it’s a step difference.

2/0 for 400 amps
                  3/0 for 500 amps
                  Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller Millermatic 252
                  Miller LMSW-52T
                  Miller AlumaPro 25’
                  Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                  Miller XR-S
                  Miller Optima
                  Smith Little Torch
                  Victor Journeyman Torch
                  Hypertherm 45

Comment

jjohn76,
                    thank you for your help. To answer your questions: “What have you tried so far with regards to the set parameters? It might be that you can use the existing .045 steel mode and adjust your wire speed down and "voltage" knob up.
                    In fact I read a lot of articles and theses about the GMAW-P parameters, I could understand a lot of things, but because of the complexity, I was hoping to find someone able to tell me the theoretical relationship between the parameters.

-To have a one drop per pulse transfer, I tried to set Ipic²xTpic=constant, it didn't work, and the Miller parameters do not follow this rule. I did not find out how to choose the current base and voltage pic.

- I have set the rule to have an average energy as in smooth current welding (but difficult to find reliable data for my 1.2mm wire) and to respect a frequency of 50Hz for 100 Ampere of average intensity

Every time I try a theory, I don't see any improvement (but it's hard to be sure without being equipped with research material), My only conclusion for the moment is that you should not touch these parameters.
                    I must do my tests between production times, I have little time. That's why I'm looking for a way to adjust the parameters correctly in theory without breaking the balance.

My basis ok work is indeed the 0.045” steel mode this is the closest to my wire.

Comment

I went ahead yesterday and talked to an applications engineer (so I was lead to believe). He stated that Miller doesn’t have any information except what’s in the manuals. He said there were too many variables to have a formula or some universal chart.
                      Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller Millermatic 252
                      Miller LMSW-52T
                      Miller AlumaPro 25’
                      Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                      Miller XR-S
                      Miller Optima
                      Smith Little Torch
                      Victor Journeyman Torch
                      Hypertherm 45

Comment

Yeah Duffejo, that was for my PM-300, the Powerwaves are in the XMT 350 class and recommend 3/0...

Lau, I understand your issues and am surprised you haven't had any applications help from Miller. Are you stuck with using that particular gas mixture for other processes or materials (stainless?)? I am trying to think of the effects of the 98/02 mixture - probably erratic arc in the background part of the wave? It's not too blue of me to maybe recommend talking to the Cleveland guys/techs. I have had a couple friends who tune the Powerwaves at their work, and get a lot of help, even new wave profiles, from Lincoln. You might just need to tell them your application, probably not mention the Invision/XMT, and ask how they recommend adjusting Powerwave parameters. They introduce even more variables (slope, tail out) but it might help...

Comment

The good thing is I am pretty sure you'll get it tuned. Could you imagine having to run one of these on an old school CV power supply? The peak and background was set by OCV (fixed resistor that sets background), and only pulse on/off time to tune?

Click image for larger version

Name:	16452167116191397490186.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	619387
                          I am keeping it for parts... Tons of BJTs to make a linear power supply and a huge resistor for my output inverter project...

Comment

Lau/John,
                            I did call Lincoln today and I asked about the power wave software, it’s free. Powerwavesoftware.com

And the guy I talked to gave me the application engineer number

Lincoln Application Engineer
                            866-635-4709
                            Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller Millermatic 252
                            Miller LMSW-52T
                            Miller AlumaPro 25’
                            Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                            Miller XR-S
                            Miller Optima
                            Smith Little Torch
                            Victor Journeyman Torch
                            Hypertherm 45

Comment

Those applications guys are very helpful, especially with experimenting stuff at home. You can't really to adjust much in the Powerwave Software - basically lets you connect to your machine through USB/serial or wifi. I was going to upgrade my PM300 with the PM350MP software, but my dial panel is different and there's a chance of bricking my machine... Lincoln used to have a Wave Designer software that you could use to make your own waveforms.

Comment

Working...
                              X