Pulse Mig Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse Mig Setup

I’m curious to know about Pulse MIG setups.

I have a XMT 350 CC/CV and a 3045 FC. Can I used Pulse MIG with that wire feeder or does it require a certain wire feeder?
    Duffejo
    Last edited by Duffejo; 01-03-2022, 12:16 AM.
    Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XTM 350 CC/CV Autoline
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Miller LMSW-52T
    Miller AlumaPro 25’
    Miller Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller 3045 FC Wirefeeder
    Hypertherm 45XP

Are you looking to run it with the Optima Pulser then? If so, your wire feeder (or spoolmatic 30a with the control box or separate push-pull feeder if you're looking to weld aluminum) will work for pulsed mig and the Optima controller. Just be sure to get the correct Optima - some work only with the XMT 304 and you can only tell by the model number.

Comment

My XMT 350 CC/CV has a pulse mig setting. I’m just not sure if there is anything special about the wire feeders to be compatible
      Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      Miller Millermatic 252
      Miller LMSW-52T
      Miller AlumaPro 25’
      Miller Spoolmatic 30A
      Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

The feeder needs to have the pulse option on it your feeder will not work.

Comment

Ok thanks John/weld dr. I understand now, as I just talked with Miller. I’m curious on the theory of operation since they don’t make he Optima any more. Maybe a tech manual will help to make one.
          Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller Millermatic 252
          Miller LMSW-52T
          Miller AlumaPro 25’
          Miller Spoolmatic 30A
          Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

Weld Dr, doesn't the Spoolmatic 30A and WC-24 work with the Optima+XMT or Invision or MPA without having a pulse option? I used to run a Thermal Arc 400GMS with an Optima 300 with both the Spoolmatic/WC-24 and SP22-12/Binzel PP26/40D (model might be off). I thought the pulse feeders were necessary for running the Profile Pulse (pulse on pulse) or running without the Optima pulser.

Duffeo, those Optima pulser units use either FPGAs or CPLDs to adjust current signals fast enough based on sensed arc voltage + closed loop control of the arc current. The XMTs have arc voltage and current feedback available at the remote socket (N and M if I remember right, but it's been a while). There's probably a lot of noise in the signals to contend with, but the hardest part is figuring out the waveforms for different materials and wire thicknesses. If you want to burn a lot of time, there are references that discuss how to determine the peak current and duration (most algorithms I found were based on a single droplet spray per peak current), and Lincoln has a Waveform Manager user guide that discusses generally how they develop the waveform (added details on tail current, etc). POWCONs and MK (Pulse Plus) had dummy pulsers that you could fiddle with Peak/Background duty cycles and peak voltage/amperage/power until you had something working. Everlast has a couple YouTube videos on how to narrow in on the right pulse parameters/waveforms. You can also grab a Powerwave 355/355M service manual to see the components used in the closed loop control.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with home brew/old tech pulsers, and realized though very educational for embedded design projects in noisy environments, it's probably better time invested to get a turnkey Miller, Lincoln (had, repaired and sold Powerwaves, repaired and kept a Powermig 300) or HTP pulsed power supply/feeder unit.

If this doesn't discourage you, I will see if I can dig out my electronic manuals. They may be in that Dropbox link I sent you a while back.

Hope this helps,
            Jon

Comment

I am pretty sure that i have a couple optimas at home hiding in my garage not sure what model.
              Yes John the spoolmatic and WC-24 combo will work with the optima.

Comment

I sent you a PM weld dr. But curious snout what you have, I would really like to have pulse mig as an option
                Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller Millermatic 252
                Miller LMSW-52T
                Miller AlumaPro 25’
                Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

Jjohn76, does the 3045FC not having a 14pin connector change the game? Or how could I get around, as you know from some of our conversations I like to experiment, fix, etc.. kinda like what you do.
                  Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller Millermatic 252
                  Miller LMSW-52T
                  Miller AlumaPro 25’
                  Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                  Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

For some reason, I thought the 3045FC had a contact closure remote, guess not... You would have to figure a way to close the contactor control (A to B) on your XMT remote. You could with a remote switch, but your best bet would be to find a controller for your Spoolmatic 30A - either the WC-24 or WC-115 would work great for aluminum and sibr. That's of you're looking to weld soft metals. What are you looking to weld with the pulsed mig?
                    Jon

Comment

I have the WC-24, but I was thinking of using the pulse not just for soft metals but thin steel or out of horizontal position.

I may just need to find a 12RC wire feeder, since it uses a remote connection
                      Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller Millermatic 252
                      Miller LMSW-52T
                      Miller AlumaPro 25’
                      Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                      Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

Originally posted by Duffejo View Post
                        I have the WC-24, but I was thinking of using the pulse not just for soft metals but thin steel or out of horizontal position.

I may just need to find a 12RC wire feeder, since it uses a remote connection
                        You are going to need a 22 , 70 or 12 suitcase feeder to go with your XMT350.

The mpa machines basiclly have the Optima crammed in there but requires a Mpa feeder to access those features.
                        Dynasty 400 Wireless
                        Coolmate 3.5
                        Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
                        ​Watermate 1A
                        ​Coolmate 3
                        XMT350 CC/CV
                        D74DX Feeder double the fun
                        Optima Pulse Pendant
                        WC24
                        30A spoolgun
                        Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
                        Avortec 280 mig
                        GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse
                        Harris Old school 2 stage Oxy/Ace
                        Victor flow meters
                        Flametech Duel flowmeters
                        Just a hilljack in the woods with fancy welding equipment
                        and a pet Raccoon.

Comment

How is your feeder powered right now? Through the remote socket or through a plug to a wall outlet? Also, does it already have the gas solenoid? If it's powered to a wall outlet and you're trying to decide which way to go longer term, you could always connect your tig pedal to the optima. The Optima only passes through the 24V/115V power circuits and contactor circuit between the XMT 350 and the feeder (typical install with the feeders SledSports mentioned). To run it, you could get in position, press your pedal (the electrode is hot at that point) and trigger the whip. If after experimenting you think it's worth going through the hassle of additional cylinders/gases, then you can upgrade your feeder.

I still think the Spoolmatic would be a better option, especially for thin stainless where you have more/manual control of pre/post flow. It's a definite improvement on soft metals. A flexible barrel for your Spoolmatic may be helpful (I have never used one) if you don't like it's handling.

Have you looked at gas shielded flux core for thicker steel in all positions? Outside of adjusting tip to work distance and upping the voltage quite a bit, it was easy for me to pick up. I set up a couple machines with .035 for some guys and tested some during setup, but I keep .045 because I have found it cheaper and heard on here it is less finicky.

Comment

115v, voltage sensing. No gas solenoid yet, but it’s a 24vdc.

I just bought a Optima today out of Australia for $450 delivered, hopefully it functions like new.

I think I would like to get a suitcase 12RC or like a S-74D
                            Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                            Miller Millermatic 252
                            Miller LMSW-52T
                            Miller AlumaPro 25’
                            Miller Spoolmatic 30A
                            Hypertherm 45XP

Comment

Originally posted by Duffejo View Post
                              115v, voltage sensing. No gas solenoid yet, but it’s a 24vdc.

I just bought a Optima today out of Australia for $450 delivered, hopefully it functions like new.

I think I would like to get a suitcase 12RC or like a S-74D
                              Keep this in mind.
                              All of the programs in the Optima aren't specific. They will get you into weldable parameters. I have found programs that work better than others for certain tasks that you wouldn't think would work. For example there's a stainless program I use on carbon that works really well with some minor tweaks to arc length.

Just because the program indicates stainless/stainless steel/ aluminum doesn't necessarily mean that program will not work for a different application. Congratulations on finding a Optima. Any questions you know how to get ahold of me.

Edit: if you go with a 4 weel drive feeder like the 70 series leave the first 2 drive rolls off and leave it a 2 wheel drive for smaller than 035 wire. My S74DX and D74DX Feeders both had trouble feeding 030 and smaller wire.
                              sledsports
                              Last edited by sledsports; 01-17-2022, 08:53 PM.
                              Dynasty 400 Wireless
                              Coolmate 3.5
                              Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
                              ​Watermate 1A
                              ​Coolmate 3
                              XMT350 CC/CV
                              D74DX Feeder double the fun
                              Optima Pulse Pendant
                              WC24
                              30A spoolgun
                              Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
                              Avortec 280 mig
                              GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse
                              Harris Old school 2 stage Oxy/Ace
                              Victor flow meters
                              Flametech Duel flowmeters
                              Just a hilljack in the woods with fancy welding equipment
                              and a pet Raccoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X