X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too_Many_Tools
    replied
    Originally posted by own6volvos
    Yikes, looks like it will be 700 + unknown problem. and I was thinking transformer units were supposed to be cheap to repair
    Thanks for reporting back.

The $700 estimate sounds like the main board that others have mentioned.

The $700 is also conveniently about half the price of a new SD180.

Coincidence? I think not.

As it has been explained to me, Miller would rather see you and I buy new product than fix existing machines. Set the repair costs high enough and most people will buy new with a warranty.

Any idea what you are planning on doing?

Ebay is where a lot of "working" welders end up.

TMT

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    I THINK THEY ARE JUST SUPOSED TO BE MORE ROBUST but all will have comp. boards in them now a days

Leave a comment:

• own6volvos
    replied
    Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
    Adam,

I (and others) would be interested in hearing how this story turns out.

If you would, please let us know what ends up being wrong and how much it costs to fix it.

Thanks

TMT
    Yikes, looks like it will be 700 + unknown problem. and I was thinking transformer units were supposed to be cheap to repair

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    I would also be interested in knowing how it turns out. I have only used two tig machines. One is a Lincoln HF unit hooked up to my old Linde arc welder. The other is a Syncro 250. The arc is stable on both of them.

Leave a comment:

• Too_Many_Tools
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam Doerr
    I have a 180 SD that is probably around 5 years old, but has gotten VERY little use until recently. I mainly weld stainless steel exhaust and some aluminum parts. One day the high freq decided to stop working, so I continued to use the machine by scratch starting. Then it decided to latch high freq on at all times, causing me to send it in for repair. $700 later with a new main board, the machine will now weld ok, but the arc is really instable. It tends to jump around quite a bit. I've tried different tungstens, consumables, and work pieces. The high freq gaps are within factory specs. What else can I try? My repairman says everything internally checks out ok, but I am not happy with this new instability. Please help! If the main board needs to be replaced again, I need to know soon because there is only a 90 day warranty on it. Thanks! Adam
    Adam,

I (and others) would be interested in hearing how this story turns out.

If you would, please let us know what ends up being wrong and how much it costs to fix it.

Thanks

TMT

Leave a comment:

• wb5jhy
    replied
    I would call Miller asap. Their tig department has been very helpful.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Adam Doerr
    started a topic Syncrowave 180 with unstable arc

Syncrowave 180 with unstable arc

I have a 180 SD that is probably around 5 years old, but has gotten VERY little use until recently. I mainly weld stainless steel exhaust and some aluminum parts. One day the high freq decided to stop working, so I continued to use the machine by scratch starting. Then it decided to latch high freq on at all times, causing me to send it in for repair. $700 later with a new main board, the machine will now weld ok, but the arc is really instable. It tends to jump around quite a bit. I've tried different tungstens, consumables, and work pieces. The high freq gaps are within factory specs. What else can I try? My repairman says everything internally checks out ok, but I am not happy with this new instability. Please help! If the main board needs to be replaced again, I need to know soon because there is only a 90 day warranty on it. Thanks! Adam
Working...
X