Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding in cold weather

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding in cold weather

    Does anyone know the latest AWS code for welding 7018's in cold weather. Like at what temp is preheating required?

  • #2
    Depends on the temperature......Yes preheat if ya can when it's near freezing.....you'll see the moisture weep out.....On DC also.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
      Depends on the temperature......Yes preheat if ya can when it's near freezing.....you'll see the moisture weep out.....On DC also.
      Thats not a reasonable option, We got 50 plus tubes to weld to cols that are 8x8 welded all the way around

      Comment


      • #4
        Get yourself a temp gun (ain't gotta be fancy, TSC, Harbor Freight ECT) depending on ambient temp and thickness of steel will determine the answer to your question. Honestly if your working tons WPS it should state on that. If u have QC AWS certified boring the inspections they better know. Further more weld engineering on sight or stupidvisor. Round about answer is 1" or thicker preheat to minimum 100 degrees and keep interpass under 500. I always just used heat sticks but for $10 or under digital thermometer I bought years ago stays in my rig truck. Some jobsite depending on code may have you "verify" your temp gun is calibrated to there standards or u will have to sign one out if tool room or QC supply closet daily. If need more info I have weld engineers I still associate with quite a bit I can get your answer
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Its not latest, its been like that a long while. I thought inch was at 150 but I can be wrong. Its worth noting the electrode amp range, very wide and the lows are wayyyyy too low, barely melt warm butter let alone heavy plate if that is 7018.
          Last edited by Sberry; 12-13-2021, 07:02 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Metal Mayhem Fabrication View Post
            Get yourself a temp gun (ain't gotta be fancy, TSC, Harbor Freight ECT) depending on ambient temp and thickness of steel will determine the answer to your question. Honestly if your working tons WPS it should state on that. If u have QC AWS certified boring the inspections they better know. Further more weld engineering on sight or stupidvisor. Round about answer is 1" or thicker preheat to minimum 100 degrees and keep interpass under 500. I always just used heat sticks but for $10 or under digital thermometer I bought years ago stays in my rig truck. Some jobsite depending on code may have you "verify" your temp gun is calibrated to there standards or u will have to sign one out if tool room or QC supply closet daily. If need more info I have weld engineers I still associate with quite a bit I can get your answer
            It's 1/4 or 5/16 thick, There's got to be some kind of standard chart for at what temp it needs to be preheated. I have never seen a wps nor have I talked to the inspection company.

            Comment


            • #7
              What grade of material?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fasthawk View Post

                It's 1/4 or 5/16 thick, There's got to be some kind of standard chart for at what temp it needs to be preheated. I have never seen a wps nor have I talked to the inspection company.
                32 degrees for 1/8”-3/4”
                50 degrees for 3/4-1 1/2”
                150 degrees for 1 1/2”-2 1/2”
                225 degrees for >2 1/2”

                aws d1.1

                Comment

                Working...
                X