I'm a dope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a dope.

i have a multi 220 on a cart with both Argon and Migmix bottles mounted. - only had it for a few months but have been using it quite a bit - it's been flawless..
    Yesterday I startup MIG welding and the welds looked like crap. No gas flow. Spent a fair amount of time searching for the reason and finally discovered the problem. Turns out, the MIG torch wont get gas if you turn on the gas for the TIG.

I’ve never forget to turn on my gas bottles, only dopes do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      I’ve never forget to turn on my gas bottles, only dopes do that.
      heh.. i didn't forget to turn it on.. I just turned on the wrong one

Comment

I never turn on the wrong gas bottle, only dopes do that.

I have a wall of gas cylinders and hoses, I call it my Medusa wall, so I used to have to trace hoses back through splitters and valves and eventually to the regulator to make sure I turned the right one on, so I wrote on the hoses which goes where, but now that’s all changed and some are right, some aren’t even close, it can be a mess.

Comment

I bet I've worn out the equivalent of a grinder forgetting to turn the gas on. I have ongoing birdnest issues, so I turn gas off often, turn on a bit less often.

I have even been interrupted by the telephone, forgot to turn it off, so I've trained myself to turn off as I answer the phone. Multi tasking is NOT something I am good at!
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

Anybody ever buy a new welder that has to be sent to the repair shop before laying the first bead?

Comment

Might figure you’d return it for a refund since it’s in unused condition, but a strange circumstance. Please explain.

Comment

Time constraints today but I will explain later.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
                  I bet I've worn out the equivalent of a grinder forgetting to turn the gas on. I have ongoing birdnest issues, so I turn gas off often, turn on a bit less often.

I have even been interrupted by the telephone, forgot to turn it off, so I've trained myself to turn off as I answer the phone. Multi tasking is NOT something I am good at!
                  ya know, the weird thing is, the welds I did before I realized I didn't have the (correct) gas on are ugly but have great penetration. They're fine for what I'm building so, I just put a coat of paint on them and called it OK.
                  I once forgot to close my flight plan and caught **** from the FAA so I put a sign next to the lock on my hanger door that said "Closed Flight Plan?" I put the same signs at the doors of my shop. Even though it says "flight plan" i know what it means (and brings amusing comments from my neighbors) Helps me remember things like gas, compressor, wood stove, etc.. before i walk away. Recently I've made a habit of installing Alexa-enabled controls on everything I can so, if I forget, I can just say "Alexa shut down the shop" and boom! lights go off, compressor shuts off, doors roll down and lock, security is enabled.. "Alexa open the shop" turns everything on. Don't have anything that will secure the wood stove....yet

Comment

After I close the shop for the day and hear the compressor kick on, I say, “hey dummy, go shut off the compressor.” And I get up, go out to the shop and turn off the compressor. Pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      After I close the shop for the day and hear the compressor kick on, I say, “hey dummy, go shut off the compressor.” And I get up, go out to the shop and turn off the compressor. Pretty much the same thing.
                      I did that for years when I lived in the city but now live in the high-desert directly adjacent to a national park - my area has strictly enforced noise and light pollution regs after dark. My compressor is in a closet behind the shop, and is a couple hundred feet from the house. 8 HP/80 gallon tank so unless one of the CNC machines is running rarely kicks on but when it does, it's usually somewhere around 2 am. Those signs help but in the rare event I flake and forget, being able to just utter a few words without even lifting my head off the pillow is wonderful.

Comment

Bought a Millermatic 141 on a Friday, didn't have time to get it going till Monday, turned it on and all it did was buzz. No fan, drive or arc. Took it back the next day and if there had been another one in stock I would have went home with it. Was told another one would be there Thursday.
                        Thursday came and they said what you will get is the original after it was to be repaired.
                        Got it back the next Tuesday and it seems to work OK. Gotta wonder if that loose fan screw set the groundwork for future problems rather than just shorting out the fan? (Those boards are rather expensive.)

Comment

How about “I’ll take my money back and when you get one that works here give me a call.”

Comment

Yes I should have.

Comment

I bought a syncrowave 351 when they first came out. Had a bad board right out of the box. Miller sent a new board FED-X next day. Day two machine worked great.

Comment

Working...
                              X