X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    My guess is the arcing is caused by something shorting out inside the gun cable. Like the liner touching a bare trigger wire. Some guns come with an extra wire pulled thru to use if that happens. Myself I would try another gun
    No arcing, just friction marks where the welder end adapter tip has touched the rollers at some time.

In this machine the roller & gun gripping assembly is connected to a power conductor from the welder bowels. current should flow from the adapter, through cable surrounding the liner, to contact tip. Wire also is energized, but the cable being the better conductor, little actual current should flow through wire. The wire becomes conductor only after it passes through the contact tip.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    My guess is the arcing is caused by something shorting out inside the gun cable. Like the liner touching a bare trigger wire. Some guns come with an extra wire pulled thru to use if that happens. Myself I would try another gun

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
    I'm guessing that you have set the liner nice and close to the rollers. I had a bird nesting problem a few years back and it turned out to be to big a gap after the rollers.
    In this gun the liner doesn't come into play. There is a cap, or nozzle on the end of the adapter that approaches the rollers. Doesn't seem to be an adjustment, only tapered thread in two places where I might alter torque to very slightly change length. The outside of the "nipple" shaped end has marks where it touched the rollers at some time. I'll guess it loosened up at some time in the past.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by welderdoc View Post
    what about the spool hub? adjusted properly? are all the parts in there and are they in the proper order?
    I've loosened it up to spin freely, nearly no friction, only enough to avoid wire coming off.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    It shouldnt ever do it. Mosty people cant wear a liner out. I got a red machine I am not too enthused about, not since day one. Some here said they ran bigger wire and it liked it. But the 252 worked well enough its got a bit of a fan club. I agree this is not typical, it should never stop.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

While feeding wire, is there any difference in how coiled or straight the gun lead is?
    None! If I'm not arcing, I could tie knots in the lead, it'd feed. When arcing it has been nearly a sure thing, it'll birdnest.

At worst I'd take the contact tip out & use tip cleaner each small weld. I might be 30 seconds into the weld, I see the wire stuttering, the reel lurching. If I didn't stop, it'd certainly birdnest..

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post

It's not touching is it? That could run the power up the liner instead of up the outside mesh in the gun to the tip. Possibly, Just a thought since it feeds okay without the arc there has to be something going on under power.
    No, I can pass a piece of wire around the gap, I'll say .030 if spark plug gap is a comparison. I see no adjustment of this, only overtightening or under tightening the assembly. I'm not clear how the cap got roller friction, there is space.

Leave a comment:

• welderdoc
    replied
    what about the spool hub? adjusted properly? are all the parts in there and are they in the proper order?

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieB View Post
    ... I feel that has to make friction in the liner.
    While feeding wire, is there any difference in how coiled or straight the gun lead is?

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieB View Post

So close I can't see the gap.
    It's not touching is it? That could run the power up the liner instead of up the outside mesh in the gun to the tip. Possibly, Just a thought since it feeds okay without the arc there has to be something going on under power.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
    I'm guessing that you have set the liner nice and close to the rollers. I had a bird nesting problem a few years back and it turned out to be to big a gap after the rollers.
    So close I can't see the gap.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Any arc strikes on the wire? Does the feed drive roll turn concentrically? Is the upper roll bearing good and aligned properly? I imagine you've already done this, but have one of your boys run beads while you watch the drive assembly. Try that in the dark as well to check for unusual arcing. As MJD said in the other forum check the alignment but further of everything in that area.

---Meltedmetal
    I can't find any. I run a silky rag on hard wire, find no snags. The flux cored Dual shield has only tracks put there by the knurled rollers & spin marks where the roller slipped. I feel that has to make friction in the liner.

Leave a comment:

• Oldgrandad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    How close is the end of the gun to the rollers? I ran .045 dual shield 6 days a week 10 hours a day thru my MM252 at work with zero issues. I hated the welder per say but it did make me $500,000

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Any arc strikes on the wire? Does the feed drive roll turn concentrically? Is the upper roll bearing good and aligned properly? I imagine you've already done this, but have one of your boys run beads while you watch the drive assembly. Try that in the dark as well to check for unusual arcing. As MJD said in the other forum check the alignment but further of everything in that area.

---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

Working...
X