Which rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rod

Hi folks - question for you stick folks. I have some heavy chromed hydraulic cylinder material (5 1/2"diameter) to weld to A36 flat bar struts. I can see the chrome is likely almost 3/32" thick. What rod for stick welding to hard chrome? I have 309L, supermissle rod, and of course 7018. I know the 7018 ain't gonna cut it so what would you folks use for this?
    Then after the strut welding I will weld the cut off top section of railroad track to the top of the cylinder material. The cylinder center is likely 1045 and who knows what the RR track top is made of. Suggestions again please.

I think the proper rod for welding chromed steel comes in 4.5" round form.

Comment

To be clear your gonna weld A36 struts to a chrome shaft on a hydraulic cylinder before cutting the top off in order to prepare to weld a piece of RR track to it?

Comment

Yep - thats the plan. This is going to become a forging air hammer. The top section of RR track will be the bottom die on the anvil (the chrome cylinder material is the anvil. I doubt 309 is going to work but possibly the super Missleweld. Looking for suggestion folks. I've been a welder for 65 years but not on materials like these.

Comment

Brand new or properly stored 7018

Comment

Super missile weld rod is similar to some of the rods sold by the various maintenance welding alloy companies. A similar product would be Rockmount’s Brutus-A or certainium’s 707 (I think). Anyway, the stuff is expensive and meant to be used in odd applications requiring a strong weld. I don’t see why it would not work for your application, but I also think 7018 would be fine too. Keep in mind that I’ve never used the super missile weld rod before, I’m basing my statement on the specs I found on the Harris website. I have used the Brutus-a from Rockmount and had excellent results. Rockmount also has a tech support for oddball stuff you can try getting their opinion directly, but you have to know they’re going to recommend one of their products for the job, but it’s worth a try to see what they say.

I’m interested to see this forge hammer thing you’re building.

Comment

Grind the chrome off in the area you intend to weld in and weld as you would A36 to 1045. Dissolved chrome in the weld may make it brittle or at ant rate unpredictable.

---Meltedmetal
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. Been a welder all my life but had to ask about this application. Ryan I will put up some pics when I get a little closer to completing this project.
                Nice to see this forum actually talking about welding again -- keep it up!

Comment

You mention something kind of important. I am a career welder too but I really dont know anything about it in some sense. I had some metallurgy in collage but it was basic and I cant remember most of it, all the states, its about like trig to me. I know a couple basics, keep the lo hy dry, heat it if its thick and a little about carbon, thats about it.
                  Despite being on welding forums I really dont have the interest, its more what it can do for me. Like the Hobart slogan is, the power to change out world and good welder can simply do work impossible for those that cant weld and torch. I solve a lot of problems with it. Being on the upper end adds another layer to it by being able to do critical or hi inspected work.
                  Its mistaken by people know me, they think I love doing this stuff. I really dont, if I won the lucky lotto you would hear my tools hit the floor. I do it cause I got to and its something I am good at.

Comment

Meltedmetal makes a good point about predictability. Once you start adding all sorts of different elements together in a weld, you’ll likely end up with an alloy that nobody understands. It might be cool, you might create unibtanium, but catastrophic failure is rarely cool when it’s something you had a hand in.

Comment

Chrome is just a coating, grind it off and use Eutitic 680 or Crown Alloys 220M
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Ryan I already did unobtanium when we came up with Timascus (titanium damascus - google it).

Comment

I thought you were joking, but then again, I’ve never considered it. Sho-nuff.....it’s a thing.....pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                          X