Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgraded!!

    after 40 years with a Dialarc w/TIG, I treated myself to a retirement gift: MultiMatic 220. Cant wait for it to get here and now looking for a buyer for the Dialarc..

  • #2
    Happy retirement! What was it you used to do?

    Comment


    • #3
      Started off out of college as a millwright.. around 1982 became an automated machinery designer until retirement. Had a side hustle as a ferry pilot/FAA mechanic for vintage planes...

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, being that you’ve upgraded your gear, doesn’t sound you’ll only be goin fishin in the coming days. But retirement has come highly recommended to me from friends that have made it. Congrats!

        Comment


        • #5
          Dunno, everyone I know who's retired has promptly given up on life and died... keeping busy seems to be healthy!

          Comment


          • #6
            Everyone has to have something to keep there mind and body active...........being able to do what you want , when you want is a form of retirement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations on your retirement!
              A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

              MX Linux
              LinuxMint

              Miller Roughneck 2E
              Lincoln Weldpak 100
              Gianttech Arc 200
              Victor O/A

              Comment


              • #8
                HA! no fishing for me. I actually was kinda forced into retirement thanks to the whole Covid scam but, that's OK. I was already collecting on my retirement funds and getting ready to move plus, my employer gave me a 6 month salary continuance for severance.. they made it easy financially.
                So far, I've been busier than ever moving, building a new shop on my retirement property, getting used to rural living with a lot of space..etc..etc... I moved the dialarc up here (they weigh a ton!), then saw my neighbor's rig. He's a retired welder. He too is a miller guy and has more recent stuff. Welders have gotten a LOT smaller since 1980 and the multi meant I could replace my Lincoln MIG too. That did it for me - time to upgrade.
                This retirement thing is funny.. I've lost all track of what day it is, My wife's honey-doo list exploded, the dogs don't treat my like a stranger anymore. Getting used to snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, lynx, bighorn sheep, coyotes, squirrels, roadrunners, jack rabbits, and of all things - movie companies! And I never thought II'd have a need to shop for a tractor in any case, it's like having a 4 day weekend followed by a 3 day weekend..
                Once the new rig is setup, I've got 4 cords of firewood that needs racks...

                Comment


                • #9
                  As long as you don’t buy a massey-ferguson you’ll be fine. Unless it’s one of the old ones, then it’ll probably be fine.

                  My old airco 3a is from 1974 and weighs 860-ish lbs. Brother, your dialarc and this big 3a will be around long after we’re all gone. There’s a lot to be said about the new fancy schmancy stuff, but just as much good going for the old junk. I’d still keep it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    As long as you don’t buy a massey-ferguson you’ll be fine. Unless it’s one of the old ones, then it’ll probably be fine.

                    My old airco 3a is from 1974 and weighs 860-ish lbs. Brother, your dialarc and this big 3a will be around long after we’re all gone. There’s a lot to be said about the new fancy schmancy stuff, but just as much good going for the old junk. I’d still keep it.
                    it's just too big and uses way more power than the newer stuff.

                    as far as the tractor goes.. I had a yanmar for a little while but it wasn't doing the job, so I bought a new LS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have limited power sometimes as well and have to get my inverter machine on it when I’d rather use one of my transformers simply because the transformer machine will pop the breaker pretty quick. Usually when I’m full pedal and the cooling fan is running full bore too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My dialarc is sitting in the very back of my storage unit... My power is from a solar inverter system, which could never run it, and with how screwed up my back is, I can't move it! The inverter machines I can actually move around. I don't have a shop, so everything needs to be pulled out of the storage unit and brought home, and put back in when I'm done. Plus, I pretty much never use stick anyway (I'm god-awful at it), which is all my dialarc does... Anyone want a dialarc?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          I have limited power sometimes as well and have to get my inverter machine on it when I’d rather use one of my transformers simply because the transformer machine will pop the breaker pretty quick. Usually when I’m full pedal and the cooling fan is running full bore too.
                          I was running mine on a 30 amp circuit for years, only tripped the breaker once so clearly it's a lot more welder than I need.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
                            My dialarc is sitting in the very back of my storage unit... My power is from a solar inverter system, which could never run it, and with how screwed up my back is, I can't move it! The inverter machines I can actually move around. I don't have a shop, so everything needs to be pulled out of the storage unit and brought home, and put back in when I'm done. Plus, I pretty much never use stick anyway (I'm god-awful at it), which is all my dialarc does... Anyone want a dialarc?
                            I had mine in a regular 2-car garage along with a lather and CNC mill and woodworking stuff so it was pretty cramped. I actually built a workbench over it.
                            I learned how to weld on a Dialarc with TIG - aluminum castings in my gradfather's foundry business) so when this one became available I jumped on it. I was able to get the whole rig for FREE! cart, torches, bottles.. everything, even the original manual. Most of my welding with it has been TIG on thinwall 4130 tubing on on 5052 Alum tubing (aircraft and dunebuggy frames) so it was a good fit but I never needed the high current. I'm not good with stick either and only used MIG once before so some education and practice are in my future.

                            I'll be listing the dialarc for sale this weekend.. It doesn't look like anything other than the gas and TIG electrodes are transferable to the Multimatic so someone is going to be getting a complete setup.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              As long as you don’t buy a massey-ferguson you’ll be fine. Unless it’s one of the old ones, then it’ll probably be fine.

                              My old airco 3a is from 1974 and weighs 860-ish lbs. Brother, your dialarc and this big 3a will be around long after we’re all gone. There’s a lot to be said about the new fancy schmancy stuff, but just as much good going for the old junk. I’d still keep it.
                              Hold up !!! Lol I bought a new 4610 LP FWD Massey and after growing up on a 135, 150, 175, a farmall M and a Super MTA It's pretty nice lol.
                              Dynasty 400 Wireless
                              Coolmate 3.5
                              Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
                              ​Watermate 1A
                              ​Coolmate 3
                              XMT350 CC/CV
                              D74DX Feeder double the fun
                              Optima Pulse Pendant
                              WC24
                              30A spoolgun
                              Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
                              Avortec 280 mig
                              GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse
                              Harris Old school 2 stage Oxy/Ace
                              Victor flow meters
                              Flametech Duel flowmeters
                              Just a hilljack in the woods with fancy welding equipment
                              and a pet Raccoon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X