Miller 30A wire feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 30A wire feeder

Well I've done it to myself again, I found a nice old 30A wire feeder and hooked it up to a Regency 250 power box. After I put the 14 pin plug on the end to Close the contacts it welded great. After looking at the wiring on the welder I noticed that there is 115 volts in that plug so I got the great idea instead of having to run a drop cord to power the feeder I could tap in to the 14 pin plug, wired it all up turned it on and all seem to work well but I only pulled the trigger and made the wire feed. Came back later and was going to weld, when I turned it on the wire started feeding all the time. You can pull the trigger and it will weld but when you let off the wire keeps feeding. Can anybody HELP!
    Last edited by Bowtietractors; 09-30-2021, 10:24 AM.

What pins did you use in the 14 pin plug?

Comment

The 30A runs off of 115 volts and the contactor is not a simple contact closure to A & B on the regency.

Comment

I used A and B for the contactor and I for 115 power, G for ground for 115 and K for chassis ground.

Comment

You said that it welds if you close the gun trigger. Does that mean the weld output is not ON without closing the gun trigger? Meaning, if you only get weld output from the Regency with the MIG gun trigger closed, this would show that the feeder is only send the output on signal with the gun trigger, as it should be. If the wire is constantly feeding WITHOUT the weld output on, and no gun trigger closed, I would expect either an issue with the "jog" button on the feeder which was called "inch" back in the day, or the drive transistor on the board is shorted and sending voltage out to the drive motor all the time.

Comment

Yes that is what its doing. also there is a 24 watt 10 ohm resistor that get red hot fast. Is it worth trying to have it fixed? Can it be fixed? I have a few other welders and don't need it but hate to have something that don;t work. When I fist started messing with it , it welded great and it kills me that I may have killed it. I love the old Millers, I have 5 Millermatic 200's 4 black face and 1 white faced, A pair if 35's and 5 330A/BP That all work as they should.

Comment

That many heavy, old welders in the same place might throw off the rotation of the earth.

Comment

I know I have a problem but can't help myself!

Comment

Thanks for the post / I don’t feel so bad now ; I’ve got 4 mm200’s 3 black face and one white

Comment

Working...
                  X