Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 300 Low Amps Help!

Hey Everyone,

I have an older Syncrowave 300 I'm having trouble with. I think it's a 1971. It worked great until I moved houses and then it sat for 6 months before I hooked it back up. Now I can only get about 75-100 amps no matter where I have the Dial. I have tried using the foot pedal to control the amps and have tried with the panel control and a switch on the torch. I just cant get it higher then 100 amps. My first thought was that it was stuck in low power, which wouldnt make sense because I have always kept it in high power. I took some sand paper to this connection but it was pretty clean to begin with. Could it possibly be the Amps Dial? If so how do I check the dial with a meter? There are 3 wires on the back of the dial. I checked to make sure the machine is getting the full voltage where it enters and it is.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

I won’t be much help to you for this problem, other than an encouraging cheer from the sidelines when you get it figured out. But those here that can help you will need you to post the serial number to your machine. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! I included a picture of the plate on the back. Is the serial number on there? I dont think it is... but couldn't find it anywhere else. Is their a specific place to look for it on these machines? Thanks again.

Comment

Daniel,

Can you please confirm if you have amperage control from ~5 amps to 75-100 amps, or it's always somewhere between 75-100 amps no matter where the dial is set. The serial number (upper left of front panel) is helpful in getting the right manual/schematic.

Jon

Comment

I see in the picture where it says on the top left of the panel “serial no.” but it’s not readable.

I use the phone app for this forum and a lot of the time the pictures don’t just pop up, I’m glad you said something, so now I’ll do a better job of checking on this thread for pictures.

Comment

Bestworker, in the slight chance you might not find someone here to help you fix your machine's problem, you can call Miller @ 920-734-9821. Millers helpful staff will be glad to help you understand and direct you how to troubleshoot and hopefully fix your machines problem, if its possible to do so.

Comment

If Daniel has access to the amperage control, I am guessing he can see the board number too, if there is no serial number. The earliest manual for the Sync 300 looks to be HF, so about 1975. If this one is older, that could explain the missing SN. I don't know when Miller started using the black face, but thought it was a little later - I could be very wrong here.

The reason I asked about whether the amperage control dial has any control over the output current, or if the output current is always stuck at 75-100 amps is I once fixed an Aircrafter 300ST that had a bad start current relay. It was stuck on start current all the time, even with the switch off. Easiest way to tell if that is it is to adjust the start current knob (leave the start current switch off) and see if output amps change.
              The later Sync 300's don't use a relay for this, but maybe the early one does. Just a thought and simple check. There are a lot more quick checks before really tearing into it.
              Jon
              Jon

Comment

Thanks so much guys. The serial number is HGO23218. I can control the current with the foot pedal or the panel and goes to right where I set it. But if I put it over 100 it maxes out at 100. I actually talked with miller this morning. They helped me test the potentiometer (amp dial) and that seems to be working just fine. I definitely have 240 coming into the machine. They thought maybe SCR or circuit board and suggested I take it somewhere to get looked at. Easier said then done with these big boys. haha Any help would be much appreciated!!! I have no clue how to test the SCR or where it's located.

Comment

Jon I'll try the Start current idea shortly but my amps do change with my pedal from 0-100 so I assume this wont be my problem? Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Start current test didn't work. Same results. Thanks

Comment

Bestwskier, this info may hep you test the SCR. https://www.circuitstoday.com/how-to-test-an-scr

Comment

Comment

A quick check with the multimeter is to turn the output on (stick mode, contactor on) and check the output voltage. If one or two of your SCRs are not firing, your output voltage will be ~35V AC.

Comment

Also, it's worth making sure all of your connections are good going from the main board to the two firing circuit boards (FC1 and FC2) to the SCRs.

Comment

I have also found that the L version of the operating manual is the best & most thorough one (wiring schematics, board schematics, parts diagrams) to use for the Syncrowave 300 troubleshooting. Your machine might be a little different, but everything should be very close.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O350L_MIL.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X