Mm211

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mm211

I have had this mm211 for a while now and can tell you that this unit is a total piece of CRAP. I use it mainly for doing autobody and it causes so much extra work it's not even funny. It either blows the crap out of the metal or welds look like total dog s&@t mounds of extreme rookie blobs. I have been doing this work for 35yrs and this is my first and last go around with a Miller welder what a HUGE disappointment and investment I made, I should have stayed with the Lincoln I regularly use on a daily bases instead of trying this one. I did everything from changing wire (now have 3-11lb spools) of different wire, 110-220V, Auto-set different wire speeds and heat settings and nothing I do will make this thing weld like it should. Grounds are good different welding speeds and distances produce no better results. This thing has been a mistake that I should have known from day one when it would sputter and pop while welding took 2 days to find the spool mount was scrubbing the back panel and had to take it apart to shim it out to give it space to rotate the wire, I had a post on that showing it and my fix but I see it got lost when they re-did their forum page. Short of kicking this box to the curb I am at a complete loss. Dam thing still looks new too.

I would call miller and see if you can turn off the smooth start feature. does the sheet steel panels come with a layer of rust protection? Make sure you are cutting the wire off at 90 degrees also. Good luck, you will find out what's wrong with your machine, call Miller 920-734-9821 and ask for the Mig techs.
    Last edited by tackit; 09-03-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I was having the same sputtering on start issues you are having with my MM251, Miller told me to remove I believe the # 7? wire from the contactor on my serial number machine and it fixed my machines "hot start" sputtering on starts issues.
      Last edited by tackit; 09-03-2021, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Okay. I went through the whole rant and didn't see anything about what exact wire and shielding gas you are using, or anything that might help me think about what issues you might be having.

Comment

You post on a Miller site about how unhappy you are with a Miller product. Is this just venting or do you want help? I had a 211 (transformer) for a short while and it was a sweet running machine. If you want a Lincoln, why not go buy one and stop complaining? Granted, you won't be able to get parts for one after it's about 10 years old, but that doesn't matter to everyone.

Funny, but you seemed to like your 211 here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...621#post572621

And here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...065#post487065

And here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...986#post486986

"Welding fantastic" and "smooth as butter":

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...916#post486916
          Last edited by G-ManBart; 09-04-2021, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I’ve only use a 211 a few times, a friend of mine has the transformer type, and I the opposite experience. I thought it was probably one of the nicest of the little welders I’ve ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by G-ManBart View Post
              You post on a Miller site about how unhappy you are with a Miller product. Is this just venting or do you want help? I had a 211 (transformer) for a short while and it was a sweet running machine. If you want a Lincoln, why not go buy one and stop complaining? Granted, you won't be able to get parts for one after it's about 10 years old, but that doesn't matter to everyone.

Funny, but you seemed to like your 211 here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...621#post572621

And here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...065#post487065

And here:

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...986#post486986

"Welding fantastic" and "smooth as butter":

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...916#post486916
              When welding heavier metal yes this unit welds nice and IMO is way more powerful then advertised, I tested it on 3/8 steel and with it turned up it would blow holes thru it I would have to turn it down to get nice consistent welds. On lighter steel it is inconsistent and very touchy to the point where you just cant find a sweet spot.

often times when I strike an arc it will pop and burn back to the tip and I have been as far away as 1.5in and it would do it. I would either have to wait for it to cool and the wire would pop out or I would have to scrape the tip to get it to release. I've changed tips tip sizes wire type and sizes and still it happens more often then it should. There are times that the wire would pop and not burn all the way back and leave a cherry blob on the wire that I would cut off to begin welding again. Every Time I go to strike an arc I always cut the wire to start fresh.

I have 4 different 11lb spools of wire and each have done the same thing. I have placed the ground right next to the area being welded and still no change. On lightermaterial automotive material this unit just dosent behave like it should, it must have a gremelin or something and is very unpredictable in the way it performs and I am having one h**l of a time finding the sweet spot it wants to be in. I even checked the gun and it is fine no hang-ups or grounding issues there either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	16307640759371675307146.jpg Views:	2 Size:	667.0 KB ID:	616971
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DATEC; 09-04-2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment

The metal thickness I deal with most of the time is anywhere between 24-18ga. I measured them too to see what's going on and just shake my head in frustration.

Comment

Datec, have you run .023 wire? I usually run .030 in my MM185, but I found with thin gauge, it's easier for me to dial in if I run the .023.

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
                    Datec, have you run .023 wire? I usually run .030 in my MM185, but I found with thin gauge, it's easier for me to dial in if I run the .023.
                    The Inweld wire is .023 also have .024, .030 and .035.

Comment

I know you said you checked the work clamp, but your issue sounds like a grounding problem. Maybe a bad connection inside the machine?

It’s certainly frustrating when your equipment does not perform how we expect. Strange how you say it runs fine on heavier welds but terrible on the small stuff though.

If I recall correctly, when I was running my friends 211 I started out using the auto set feature and made some very minor adjustments from there. I was welding floor pans on his 50-something chevy and that machine ran like a dream. Your machine is probably out of warranty too, huh?

Comment

Yep out of warranty, which is my fault. I wanted to give it every chance I could and taking it back to the dealer is a 1.25hr one way drive on a Saturday which I either had no time for or just didn't feel I wanted to ruin my day off doing only to leave it and do it all over again on another Saturday. The Lincoln dealer is 15min away to give those some idea of one of the reasons I'm not real thrilled.

So I will probably have to chock it up as having a bad experience with this unit. I and no-one should have to go thru all this after making an investment that should have been a "No brainer".

Comment

To be honest I haven’t been impressed with my local Miller service center in the least bit. I’ve been able to get WAY better help from this forum. Their answer to every machine problem is “you need a new machine”. That’s unacceptable as far as I’m concerned. I have machines of several brands and have good service from all of them and not so good service from some of them. I’m sure the quality of your service center is very dependent on your location too.

So what are you going to do with that machine? Sell it as a mostly working unit?

Comment

Working...
                          X