Miller 180 Autoset MIG feed issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 180 Autoset MIG feed issue

This is a MM180 Autoset that I bought around 14 years ago I think. I moved 7.5 years ago and hadn't hooked it up since then. It worked fine before moving and has stayed stored inside since.

The issue:
    When I pull the trigger, it will feed for about 2s and then stop. I can release the trigger and pull it again to make it feed for another 2s. It will do this over and over with no noticeable change in duration regardless of loaded/unloaded or settings.

Testing:
    • I have removed the wire to make sure it wasn't a binding issue.
      • Same issue
    • I have tried welding with it just to see if there was any change.
      • Same issue
    • I used a jumper wire at the trigger plug on the machine so that I could eliminate a trigger or plug connection issue.
      • Same issue
    • I checked input voltage.
      • Good
    • I disconnected the feed motor plug and checked voltage at the plug from the board when pulling the trigger.
      • When doing this, it does the same thing and still stops after the 2s even with the motor disconnected.
    So this makes me think it's a board issue. I would be fine replacing the entire board if that is the only option. I did find a 10 year old post about a MM135 with the exact same issue, but for any differences between units, I thought I'd make my own post. In that post, their fix was replacing the PTC at PTC1, but I haven't been able to locate that specific part on my board.

Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Does your machine have a spot timer function. I've seen that get turned on and drive people crazy.

---Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
      Does your machine have a spot timer function. I've seen that get turned on and drive people crazy.

---Meltedmetal
      It does act like it has a spot timer function turned on, but it does not have that feature.

Comment

if you can't find a fix here, call Miller @ 920-734-9821 and ask for the Mig technical department, I'm sure they have had machine owners call with the exact same problem you are experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
          if you can't find a fix here, call Miller @ 920-734-9821 and ask for the Mig technical department, I'm sure they have had machine owners call with the exact same problem you are experiencing.
          Thanks for the service number. I just got off the phone with tech support at Miller. He was very helpful, and assumes the board needs replaced. I thought that would be the answer, but was hoping to narrow it down to a part on the board I could replace for much cheaper.

Comment

That seems to be the only solution these days. My guess is they don’t have time, ability or inclination to make that level of repair. I’m not speaking from any authority, merely speculation, but it’s par for the course I’d say. How much does this board cost anyway?

Comment

$700 was the last one I bought for a customer 4 years ago…Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Euler View Post

Thanks for the service number. I just got off the phone with tech support at Miller. He was very helpful, and assumes the board needs replaced. I thought that would be the answer, but was hoping to narrow it down to a part on the board I could replace for much cheaper.
                I read a couple of times where machine owners replaced expensive boards with brand news ones only to blow up the new boards as well, be carful, issues which could have caused the original board to blow up might still be unfixed.

Comment

Working...
                X