250 NT Bobcat blowing F6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 NT Bobcat blowing F6

My machine is blowing the F6 fuse, I changed the fuse holder to the newer style flat fuse, and 30A fuse. It blows as soon as the new fuse makes contact with the holder. It does it with the switch on or off. I can jump across the starter solenoid, and it spins over fine, and will run as long as I trickle gasoline into the carburetor. As soon as I stop feeding it gasoline, it dies because the solenoid on the carburetor is not energized and allowing fuel to flow to the jet. Before I just start tearing into this thing, can anyone give me some ideas on what to check?

It has a Kohler CH20S

The oil level is fine.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by Chick; 08-30-2021, 09:26 PM.

I don't know if this will help you, but check this link out. https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...lowing-f6-fuse

Comment

I appreciate you posting that. That machine is blowing it when it is being started. On mine, it blows as soon as the fuse touches the contacts on the holder. I don't even get it shoved into place. But it lists things to.look at, so it gives me a starting point.

Comment

Unplug the voltage regulator. Your flywheel is bad and shorting to case

Comment

2 things on the gas supply. Sounds like you're not getting 12 volts to the solenoid or your carburetor is bad

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
            Unplug the voltage regulator. Your flywheel is bad and shorting to case
            Wow. I only have 103 hours on this machine. Where is the voltage regulator.

Comment

Check the second thread down from the top, it may help you locate the voltage regulator. Good luck, I hope it helps you get your welding machine running properly.

https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/f...-miller-bobcat
              Last edited by tackit; 08-31-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

It was the regulator, or the wire harness plug. I ordered a new regulator, and if I hook it up and it blows the fuse, I will probably check the plug for a short.

Thanks Guys! I am posting a second issue, If you can help, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chick View Post
                  It was the regulator, or the wire harness plug. I ordered a new regulator, and if I hook it up and it blows the fuse, I will probably check the plug for a short.

Thanks Guys! I am posting a second issue, If you can help, I would appreciate it.
                  You did not read my post. By disconnecting the regulator you took the stator and flywheel out if circuit. Your stator and flywheel are bad, not the regulator.
                  Regulators do not short, they open and stop charging.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post

You did not read my post. By disconnecting the regulator you took the stator and flywheel out if circuit. Your stator and flywheel are bad, not the regulator.
                    Regulators do not short, they open and stop charging.
                    I had received that information from a tech at Miller. After reading your post I emailed him and asked him about the stator, he told me to check for continuity between the white wire and ground. If there was continuity, to pull the flywheel and check the stator. I did, and the magnet on the flywheel was broken up in a hundred pieces, and probably shorting the stator. Is the magnet replaceable, or do you have to replace the whole flywheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Chick View Post

I had received that information from a tech at Miller. After reading your post I emailed him and asked him about the stator, he told me to check for continuity between the white wire and ground. If there was continuity, to pull the flywheel and check the stator. I did, and the magnet on the flywheel was broken up in a hundred pieces, and probably shorting the stator. Is the magnet replaceable, or do you have to replace the whole flywheel?
                      You need to purchase both.Magnets are not replaceable.

Comment

Yeah. $230 for the flywheel. The stator and regulayor was only about $20 on Amazon. What causes the magnet to break up like that? There must have been a 100 pieces.

Comment

I've never figured out the exact cause. The glue lets loose on one magnet and it gets caught between the flywheel and timing cover and chews up everything. Small stone or dirt daubers. I've replaced 50 or so flywheels in 20 years. I can usually tell it's bad by a little squeak as it comes to a stop.

Comment

Working...
                          X