ot the ford vs chevy battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ot the ford vs chevy battle

while I am a chevy guy my buddy and I are disagreeing about the *fox* style mustangs and 82-92 camaros ?

#1 why do so many people race (drag) the 5.0 mustang ?

#2 what car is quicker in the 1/4 (lets say 88 5.0 vs 88z28 )

#3 did chevy ever make a *factory* iroc with the 5.7 and standard trans ? .....(me says no)

if anyone can pull up road and track info I would greatly apperatie it

dawg

for the F-body questions you can go to

http://www.f-body.org/

I know they made a 5.7 automatic just not sure if it was an IROC or not.
    MM210 w/3035
    Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Q#1 The same reason in the 70's everyone ran SBC engines they could be built cheap and every boneyard had a few hundred. The mustang took charge with the FOX body and the return of V8 power in 79 not 82 although the GT didn't return until 82.

Q#2 Depends on the equipment, A manual notchback stang would beat a Auto Z28 due to gearing and being close to equal in power. This is the weight and equipment issue.

Q#3 Uncertain but I believe they did make a 5.7 with the manual, reason is my brother-in-law had an 83 Z28 with the HO 305 with a manual 5 gear.

I am the Ford type, but the stats were intended to sway buyers. This month they may show a 5.0 stang with a manual beat an auto equipped Z28, the next month they may show a auto stang getting beat up by a manual Z28. The equipment and the options are the real story, the hottest of the mustangs of that era was the notchback with manual trans, reason it was 800# lighter than a convertible with an auto, and 600# lighter than the auto hatchback.

I can't say for certain about the Z28 options and relation to the performance.

Peace,

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg
        #3 did chevy ever make a *factory* iroc with the 5.7 and standard trans ? .....(me says no)
        You're right. The answer is no.

http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/FAQ.htm

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg
          while I am a chevy guy my buddy and I are disagreeing about the *fox* style mustangs and 82-92 camaros ?

#1 why do so many people race (drag) the 5.0 mustang ?

#2 what car is quicker in the 1/4 (lets say 88 5.0 vs 88z28 )

if anyone can pull up road and track info I would greatly apperatie it

dawg
          #1 there pretty cheap to fix up and parts are really easy to come buy, and if you are lucky enough to find a notchback, then you have a pretty light platform to began with

#2 That all depends on what body style you are talking about. The gt mustang and the camaro would be a close run, almost the same engines.
          Now the notchback vs. a camaro, well the mustang would win, but it would be close. But then again you have to take miles ( of the engine ) into consideration.

I myself both think GM's and Ford's skimp on there designs. Don't get me wrong though, I would own some of them, one of them being a notchback or the Grand national. The newer cobras are pretty sick also, the performance and price can't be beat. But its almost like they don't of the mechanice when building there cars. But I think they are learning a bit, I mean they did get Honda to start putting there engines into some newer GM vehicles.
          http://www.rcautoworks.com

Comment

I personally dont like fords but I have driven the 03 cobra 6sp and it was impressive to say the least....but its still a ford

I really like the 93 and up z28/trans ams a mustang gt of the same vintage cant hold a candle to those lt1 motors ---- but I cant afford the gas or the insurance - $2.85 a gallon last night

thanks for the info.........(just emailed my buddy with the facts)

dawg-

Comment

Arcdawg,The bottom line is "Horsepower to weight" ratio and then traction.
              Millwright/Custom Fabricator

Dynasty 200 DX
              251 Millermattic
              Arc-Zone Hot Foot
              Hornell Speed Glass

Comment

I have a 1987 IROC with the L98 5.7l motor. The 5.7 was never offered with the manual box on these cars. Trans in T700R4 and rear is 3.27 posi. With exhaust and intake/fuel/ignition mods, keeping the car Cali smog legal, the best I got was 13.5 in the quarter. This was on street tires with some crummy starts (Im not much of a drag racer).

Comment

I like my Ford, but it's an F150 4X4 5.4L stock as can be. I hauls my butt around town and still gets 16mpg.

I love the Ford VS Chevy Trash talk. . . cause they are both good.
                  Bob Sigmon
                  A/O Setup with Meco Midget
                  Miller Big Window Elite
                  Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

it really wasnt trash talk........**** I drive a jetta in a honda world.......us young guys missed out on the muscle cars of the 50s and 60s and the cheap gas that was plentiful back then......

now we are forced to run 4 bangers and take out a loan for a tank full........

however if I could get my hands on a CLEAN 93+ z28 6speed I would in a heartbeat (pun intended )

btw I was the one actually defending the rustangs -

cause if we do the math a car that weighs 3000lbs with 300 horse is going to be just as fast as a 3500lbs car with 350 horse

dawg

Comment

Dawg:
                      Good answer!!!!! Judie has a 93 Mark 8 with a 32valve, and it will haul serious ---!!!Even eat a few stangs and Z28's that are unaware of a COBRA engine under the hood, can we say sleeper goes bye bye!

Peace,

Comment

I like my 55, 65, 69, 70, 71, and 01 Fords.

Comment

I like all those cars.....
                          Only problem is they keep clogging up the blower......
                          Attached Files

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
                          Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
                          Miller Spectrum 125C
                          Victor O/A
                          Parker Plasma 40

Comment

I am a die hard Ford guy also. From the '33 3 window in high school to the '69 Mach 428 and my '63 1/2 427 Galaxie. But those are all gone now. Now i drive a Chevy Geo because it gets 40 mpg and i drive 80 miles to and from work...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Comment

well i dont know anything about the racing side of the F VS C but as a reliability standpoint i have always had much better performance out of the chevy's. all my fords have broken down on me?????????? all my chevys including my 1951 GMC with a 235 and a lil over 400,000 miles on it have always run strong. all my cars and trucks get the same maintanance, a yearly oil change, plugs wires cap every 3rd year, keep the oil, water and trany fluid filled. new brakes and tires as needed. although not the best care it has kept all my chevys on the road , and fallen short on all the ford's .

i gess that realy dosent have anything to do with your ?????? dose it.
                              oh well it was the only $.02 i had so i gave it away
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X