Killed my Dynasty 280 DX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killed my Dynasty 280 DX?

I just purchased a Dynasty 280 DX from CraigsList. Have been using it for the last 2 days with no problems. I like it a lot. Or did.

Anyway... I downloaded the latest software update from Miller, inserted the SD card per directions, the light under the card reader turned green, the display went black and the light did not blink green. After 6 minutes, I removed the card. The display was still blank. I did not get a blinking red light indicating an error.

I have turned the machine off and on several times. The display remains black. Did I kill the welder?

Any ideas on how to get this thing up and running?

Just a thought, does the water cooler have to running when the machine is turned on?

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
      Just a thought, does the water cooler have to running when the machine is turned on?
      Am not sure about that. Why?

Comment

I looked up your machine in the search box, it sounded like that was a problem for an owner.

Comment

Will try turning it on with the chiller disconnected.

> OK... tried that. No Go.
          Last edited by robert-r; 08-08-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Tack, maybe it got hit by thunder?

Comment

https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.c...p?f=19&t=16236
              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Perhaps that software was corrupted ......or somewhere along its path to that welder?

Comment

That sounds like a bad update bricked it somehow, but I've never worked on one of those, and can't find a service manual online. I'm sure a service manual is out there, but miller doesn't make them available to random repair people like myself.

The first thing I'd try is re-downloading the update, making very sure it's the right one for your machine, putting it on a different sd card, and trying again. Use the mechanical clunk-clunk switch to turn it off and leave it off for several minutes, turn it back on, turn it on with the front switch, put the card in about 30 seconds after turning it on, and see if anything happens.

If that doesn't work, you might try giving miller an old-fashioned phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
                    That sounds like a bad update bricked it somehow, but I've never worked on one of those, and can't find a service manual online. I'm sure a service manual is out there, but miller doesn't make them available to random repair people like myself.

The first thing I'd try is re-downloading the update, making very sure it's the right one for your machine, putting it on a different sd card, and trying again. Use the mechanical clunk-clunk switch to turn it off and leave it off for several minutes, turn it back on, turn it on with the front switch, put the card in about 30 seconds after turning it on, and see if anything happens.

If that doesn't work, you might try giving miller an old-fashioned phone call.
                    Thanks for your suggestion. Very much appreciated. Gave it a try. It's still dead. Will be calling Miller in the morning.

Comment

Here is a thread about the sd card updates that was posted on a different forum

https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.c...p?f=19&t=16236
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I would be incredibly peeved, as I’m sure you are. This is why I don’t update my phone, computers, etc. I don’t understand software, so I stay out of it.

Comment

I am not compatible with software either.

Comment

Called Miller. It is going in for repair. Luckily it's still warrantied until December.

Everyone, thanks for the help!
                            Last edited by robert-r; 08-09-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Good news, you can't do better than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X