Recommend replacement ground clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend replacement ground clamp

I'm looking to replace the (probably original) ground clamp on my Millermatic 185. I thought about swapping the T-style clamp off of one of my other welders, but it just clamps down on bare cable rather than a lug like the Miller has on the end. I could cut it, but....

What recommendations do you have as far as good clamps go? thanks.

Originally posted by timsch View Post
    I'm looking to replace the (probably original) ground clamp on my Millermatic 185. I thought about swapping the T-style clamp off of one of my other welders, but it just clamps down on bare cable rather than a lug like the Miller has on the end. I could cut it, but....

What recommendations do you have as far as good clamps go? thanks.
    I would check out Harbor Freights BERGER 400 Amp Welding Ground Clamp for 15 bucks,

Comment

That's exactly the style of clamp I was going to swap in, but it doesn't hook up with the lug, just screws down onto bare wire.

Comment

Depending on the lug and the clamp, you can often put the lug in the clamp where the bare wire would go, put the lug under the head of the bolt that would clamp the wire, or if neither of those work, just drill a hole and use your own bolt to connect the lug to the clamp. Or be fancy and braze a brass stud to the clamp and put the lug on that. Be a fabricator!

(Or, of course, chop the lug off)

For a small machine like that, any clamp at all will work - just pick whatever is easy to use and fits your material well. I saw a similar welder once with a pair of vise grips as the ground clamp, with a bolt welded to the vise grips to connect the wire...

Comment

Vise grips is a good idea, but I'll stay more traditional. Thanks for the ideas. I'll get one of those to work. I wouldn't mind trying the brazing idea, but for some reason, I've never been able to braze to save my life.

Comment

Many moons ago clamps came with a thin gauge copper strip you wrapped around the bare end of the wire for the clamp's wire fastener to come down on, perhaps they still offer them for sale at your local welding business,

Just a suggestion, I have never did it myself, but perhaps you might slide a short piece of a propper size soft copper tubing over the stripped end of the wire, and tighten the clamps wire fastener down on the cable. you could soft solder the connection like when replacing some types of battery clamps.

I use this kind of solder for my outside electrical connections, its great for repairing reading glasses frames too. I use silver solder flux with it, it flows nicely. I have small tubes of it and a smaller diameter roll of it too.

https://www.markertek.com/product/ks...SABEgJuk_D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-83-7145-0415-Electronic-Silver-Diameter/dp/B004DEUYBY/ref=psdc_13837421_t1_B00ERYRXVE
            Last edited by tackit; 07-26-2021, 04:14 AM.

Comment

My original post was stopped for adding the Amazon link.

Many moons ago clamps came with a thin gauge copper strip you wrapped around the bare end of the wire for the clamp's wire fastener to come down on, perhaps they still offer them for sale at your local welding business,

Just a suggestion, I have never did it myself, but perhaps you might slide a short piece of a propper size soft copper tubing over the stripped end of the wire, and tighten the clamps wire fastener down on the cable. you could soft solder the connection like when replacing some types of battery clamps.

I use this kind of solder for my outside electrical connections, its great for repairing reading glasses frames too. I use silver solder flux with it, it flows nicely. I have small tubes of it and a smaller diameter roll of it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-83-714..._t1_B00ERYRXVE

https://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberj...6-c6627cba38e3
              Last edited by tackit; 07-26-2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

unfortunately, the website won't allow me tp post https links to the solder. ttps://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberjibe/a/ac2159ba-e951-4946-b856-c6627cba38e3

https://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberj...6-c6627cba38e3
                Last edited by tackit; 07-26-2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, the website won't allow me tp post https links to the solder on Amazon even when I use the link box, , . or the eyeglass repair pics on photobucket, the threads are being stopped for some reason. I can't use the miller system because even private family photos show up by continuing to clink on the arrows that show on both sides of picture one you click a picture to expand it, until the last pick is shown then only and arrow shows to go back over the pictures shown.
                  Last edited by tackit; 07-26-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Ground clamps are a continuing "surveillance" item for me as I do a fair amount of sheet metal restoration. I pay special attention to the "interconnect" between the two sides of the clamp and often upgrade with heavier braided copper interconnecting both sides of the clamp. I also upgrade the lug and bolts on the ground clamps (style pictured).

I also periodically steel wool the clamps to remove contaminants.Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	616244

Comment

Originally posted by Auto_Tech View Post
                      Ground clamps are a continuing "surveillance" item for me as I do a fair amount of sheet metal restoration. I pay special attention to the "interconnect" between the two sides of the clamp and often upgrade with heavier braided copper interconnecting both sides of the clamp. I also upgrade the lug and bolts on the ground clamps (style pictured).

I also periodically steel wool the clamps to remove contaminants.Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	616244
                      It looks like a nice clamp, if it works for you that's all that matters.

Comment

Auto-Tech, I ordered a Lincoln one almost identical to that one yesterday. Thanks everyone for their input

Comment

Working...
                        X