New 255 multipurpose review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 255 multipurpose review

Got my new shiny, good smelling 255 this week. Got it mounted to a cart and used it to weld up some 3/8" plate today using .030 wire. Flat position, fillet and plug welds, auto set and punched in the pulse/spray mode. Folks I've been down the turnpike a time or two and seen the elephant. I have made a living on the end of welders since I was 16 years old (will turn 80 this year). I have used every welder and plasma out there, loved some and hated some. Like blue and red both.

I am not easily impressed but I love this thing! It put in welds that look like a sub arc did it. Will make you look for your heavier gloves too. Used to a #10 filter lense and stepped up to a 12 for this.

PROS: **** fine piece of equipment. It likes all thickness's, welds nicely. I think you need to step up to .035 for anything heavier than 3/16 thickness. Haven't tried a vert yet but I'm sure it is capable when you turn it down and go to standard process. Was not sure about all the fancy self settings etc but have to admit that is handy!

CON: On demand fan is louder that I am used to but it does move some air when you hold your hand behind it.
    Five stars Miller.

justBill
    Last edited by justBill; 07-24-2021, 01:30 PM.

Thanks for posting. It's a great feeling to spend all that money and feel like it was really worth it!

Comment

We had one in the shop that needed a liner. First time we've welded with one and the weld is very impressive.
      IMO it's a nice leap from the 252.

Comment

Put it in pulse mode with 3/8 plate and it will make you hunt the big gloves in a hurry!

Comment

Bill, whose wire did you use and what gas mixture? Good to hear Miller treated you right.

Comment

Tackit - I started w/ a roll of .030 Pinnacle Alloys wire (house brand for Pacific Welding I think). OK all around wire but nothing to write home about. Got a roll of Lincoln .035 L56 wire but have not tried it yet. Found a jug of 90/10 gas at Pacific Welding supply in Chehalis WA and am using that. Still learning the machine but like it.

Comment

Chehalis eh? I lived up that way for a decade. Never that far down, but I lived in Olympia for a short run when I got out of the army. A little too weird for me. Is that still Shelton Co?

Comment

Originally posted by justBill View Post
                Tackit - I started w/ a roll of .030 Pinnacle Alloys wire (house brand for Pacific Welding I think). OK all around wire but nothing to write home about. Got a roll of Lincoln .035 L56 wire but have not tried it yet. Found a jug of 90/10 gas at Pacific Welding supply in Chehalis WA and am using that. Still learning the machine but like it.
                Thanks bill for your information, glad you like your new machine, I watched a video of it, it sure looked like nice machine, I liked its big screen too.

Comment

Bill. I used lot of L56 back in the fay, the price zoomed. We tried a couple of others but shopping isnt what it is today. The off the shelf Hobart is good but the LWS used to change around, some Pinacle and WA which I thought,,, this ought to be good. I wish I would have ran right back and stocked when they had a white box import which was a lot cheaper and VERY good. Of course they changed that, who knows why, probably someone *****ed about China before they ran it.
                  I havnt looked at HF wire but wouldnt surprise me if it was the same as the white box which ran at least as good as the L56.
                  I have a Wirematic 255, a piece of junk and I really need to try some different sie in it, a guy here said his ran 045 well but sputtered with 35. Its a POS and really fussy with wire.. Change a spool and takes 1/2 just to get it to run right or decent. I got it a long time ago, if it happened today would run it right back and trade it for blue. I had a little 180 class and it was sooooo good I figured the bigger one would be but noooo.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 08-02-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    Bill. I used lot of L56 back in the fay, the price zoomed. We tried a couple of others but shopping isnt what it is today. The off the shelf Hobart is good but the LWS used to change around, some Pinacle and WA which I thought,,, this ought to be good. I wish I would have ran right back and stocked when they had a white box import which was a lot cheaper and VERY good. Of course they changed that, who knows why, probably someone *****ed about China before they ran it.
                    I havnt looked at HF wire but wouldnt surprise me if it was the same as the white box which ran at least as good as the L56.
                    I have a Wirematic 255, a piece of junk and I really need to try some different sie in it, a guy here said his ran 045 well but sputtered with 35. Its a POS and really fussy with wire.. Change a spool and takes 1/2 just to get it to run right or decent. I got it a long time ago, if it happened today would run it right back and trade it for blue. I had a little 180 class and it was sooooo good I figured the bigger one would be but noooo.
                    I love the way my 2007 MM180 runs .030 wire too, and my MM Challenger 172 is great little machine also. I should have bought two of them. the cabinet in te 172 Challenger is from a past time when Penney pinching wasn't necessary to stay in business and the rule. You still can buy the part you need in those old machines. their not all circuit board controlled

Take a look at the old 172 Challenger's cabinet compared to the 2007 MM180s. The 172's cabinet is a thing of sheet metal beauty.. it has a piano hinge and vent louvers in the cabinet too. Time marches backwards in these Global competitive times.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberj...2-f576dca7f401
                    Last edited by tackit; 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I went to buy the Challenger when I bought my MM185 in ‘99. I have the Challenger video somewhere Miller sent me back then
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        I went to buy the Challenger when I bought my MM185 in ‘99. I have the Challenger video somewhere Miller sent me back then
                        The 172 Challenger is a great machine, I could be wrong, but I think I bought mine around 1995ish. Its my .026 Mig wire machine today. The MM180 is running .035? Lincoln Innershield NR-211-MP, and the 251 is running a bargain .030 solid wire from Weld City on Amazon, it welds so good I ordered two more rolls of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picture of how the Weld City wire welds. https://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberj...d-061886eb79cb
                        Last edited by tackit; 08-02-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X