Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch "B" Fitting to "A" Hose

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know if there are any safety concerns with using a lightweight hose with torch-side "A" fittings with a torch with "B" fittings? Specifically, I'm looking to maybe use my Smith WH100 torch with the Smith kevlar hose for oxy-acetylene brazing (https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...F:X:14779-4-10).

I see all types of A-B couplers online, but Smith is closed on the weekends and wanted to see if anyone has tried this method on their own.

Thanks!

Tony

I don’t see a problem
    Bob Wright

Comment

If all the fittings are designed to connect to each other well, even with adapters, there is no issue going back and forth with different hose diameters, if that is the basic question.

Comment

If you use too small of a hose for the torch (and tip) you have, you can end up needing too high of pressure to get enough flow, which can make adjusting the torch very frustrating, and with acetylene could be a safety hazard. Don't go over 15psi.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I’m sticking to brazing, no cutting with the torch. Appreciate the help!

Comment

I have a small tank and Smith Little Torch setup I use for silver soldering, it comes with five tips and I bought the rosebud heating tip for less than twenty bucks as I recall. They're expensive if you want small tank portability, but they do come in handy, I have never regretted spending the money on my setup.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/cyberj...3-eae9f1a0e471

Comment

I have a similar sized torch to the one tackit shows in his pictures. It believe it came with the fittings to use the teeny tiny O2 and propane cylinders, but run mine on normal sized O2 and propane cylinders just fine. Those small hoses are comparatively fragile to something you’d normally find in a shop like mine and I have damaged and had to make repairs to them, so be mindful of that if you’re in a working shop.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                I have a similar sized torch to the one tackit shows in his pictures. It believe it came with the fittings to use the teeny tiny O2 and propane cylinders, but run mine on normal sized O2 and propane cylinders just fine. Those small hoses are comparatively fragile to something you’d normally find in a shop like mine and I have damaged and had to make repairs to them, so be mindful of that if you’re in a working shop.
                Ryan, I have seen Chinese? copy cats of my Smith Little Torch going for around $40.

Comment

That’s probably true. I try not to buy that stuff if I can avoid it. Mine is a Gentec, but it might be made in China too. Dang it.

Comment

Working...
                  X