Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is typical maintenance on a Multimatic 200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is typical maintenance on a Multimatic 200?

Let me start off with saying that i have been experiencing a few issues recently. one of which can be found here:
    Stopped Feeding Wire

After finishing up my welds last night, i don't plan on using the welder again until maybe this weekend when the client comes to have the ramp i built installed on his trailer. So prior to or after I'm done with this project, what are some things that i can do to the welder as typical maintenance on the machine to make sure everything is in top working order?

I'm ordering some new contact tips this week, anything else i should do to the machine? Check? adjust? Lube? Cleaning?

Unplug machine first. Pull covers. Blow inside with compressed air, if really dirty you can use a soft bristle brush to loosen dirt and blow again. Blow out gun liner both directions. You should be able to easily hand feed the appropiate size wire through gun when straight. Check connections to make sure they are tight, sometimes unplug and plug connections. Make sure no leaks at hose connections with soapy water solution.
    Having said that most machines should run a very long time without doing any of the above. A lot depends on the shop environment.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Up until this week, i have used this welder with little to no issues, maybe ill switch back to tig welding , only problem i had with that was getting the tungsten stuck to the metal

Only reason I've been running flux core these last 2 project was for convenience since i was working outside and always raining and windy, i went that route to be able to complete more in a day or afternoon..

But i appreciate the tips and suggestions and will def look at cleaning the machine up, even if its more to feel better that its maintained.

Comment

Not to be a wise guy, but routine maintenance is covered in the manual.

Comment

I take the wire drive wheels off and clean them with denatured alcohol, use my leaf blower to blow out the cabinet, and you might want to change to a copper ground clamp if you haven't already...and keep it as close to the weld as reasonably possible . https://store.cyberweld.com/grounclam400.html
          Last edited by tackit; 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Other than a tip a new operator boogers up the machine is so new a hobby type doesnt need to do anything to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
              I take the wire drive wheels off and clean them with denatured alcohol, use my leaf blower to blow out the cabinet, and you might want to change to a copper ground clamp if you haven't already...and keep it as close to the weld as reasonably possible . https://store.cyberweld.com/grounclam400.html
              Wow....$45 for the same work clamp you can get at Harbor Freight for $15.

Comment

Originally posted by G-ManBart View Post

Wow....$45 for the same work clamp you can get at Harbor Freight for $15.
                HF's sure looks like a Tweco's clamp, they most likely are produced by the same Mexican company, It was years ago when I bought my Tweco clamps, they cost around $ 25 back then, . but they still are going strong and doing their job..

It could be Tweco's are solid copper clamps?

.https://www.harborfreight.com/400-am...amp-63849.html
                Last edited by tackit; 07-23-2021, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post

HF's sure looks like a Tweco's clamp, they most likely are produced by the same Mexican company, It was years ago when I bought my Tweco clamps, they cost around $ 25 back then, . but they still are going strong and doing their job..

It could be Tweco's are solid copper clamps?

.https://www.harborfreight.com/400-am...amp-63849.html
                  I've had both in hand and can't tell any difference in weight or anything obvious. They may not be made in the same facility, but they're definitely a clone/copy that's very close. Tweco says theirs are solid copper, but they're clearly an alloy as they're the color of brass or bronze.

Comment

I've had these on several different welders over a number of years--some stuff at HF is not too good, but these are great.

Comment

I have the older HF tweco clones on all but one of my machines; I use a LOT of 2" square tube on projects, and the older ones just BARELY open that wide - I haven't looked at the newer HF offerings up close, but if they only open 1-1/5" (scroll down on the previous link) I wouldn't be interested... Steve

Comment

So interestingly enough since everyone is talking about the ground clamp, i had a accident this past weekend, i was finishing up a trailer ramp install, the ramp was already welded in place, in the up position for driving, but at this point i hadn't installed the locking pins, so it was just up and leaning in slightly, so no worry about falling, well i decided i needed to move the trailer out a few feet to finish some welds around the hinges from all sides and as soon as i lifted the trailer, the ramp fell and landed smack down on the ground cable(luckily nothing else), but that 1/4" angle landing on that cable flattened it and broke open the rubber. So ill be replacing it anyway, so is it better to get a ground without the clamp and buy one of these that everyone is suggesting?

This one is out of stock, but would buying it complete be better route?

https://store.cyberweld.com/tweco-wo...-ws200g10.html

is there another good source for accessories to look at?

I mean there is this one
                        https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...mp-plug-263800

but not the same clamp, so still need to change it out..
                        Last edited by cubangt; 08-04-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Myself I would wait and go with the cyberweld clamp and cable. you can tape the ground cable up good and wait until the new cable comes in

Comment

If it was only the cable that was damaged I’d just repair the cable.

Comment

just curious, repair how? What sucks is that its only a 10ft lead and the damage is right around the middle of the cable, so cant just cut it and reattach the clamp, cause then it will be to short.. if it was closer to the end of the cable, i would just cut off a few inches and be fine.. for now, i have taped it up until i can order a new one(longer 25ft for now)

Comment

Working...
                              X