Pickup crane mounted to my welding table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
    On the table is a Milwaukee Mag drill......using annular cutters , goes through that 3/4" plate like butter with the proper lube. And yes just finishing the adjustable legs that will allow the bench top on wheels to be set anywhere from 32"- 41" in 1.5" increments.
    It would be nice if you had adjustment holes that matched the height of your pickup's bed,

Comment

It will probably be in that range.......but that work bench will be heavy even on wheels....I have smaller carts that I can easily negotiate heavy stuff coming off the tail gate but the gantry crane has already been proven to be more mobile and easier to pick heavy things out of a truck or trailer.

Comment

It will probably be in that range.......but that work bench will be heavy even on wheels....I have smaller carts that I can easily negotiate heavy stuff coming off the tail gate but the gantry crane has already been proven to be more mobile and easier to pick heavy things out of a truck or trailer.
        That a frame is a great tool, so many times I wished I had one, but my shops celling isn't high enough for what I would like to lift with one. .lights, the door opener, and the chain fall hanging down would take another foot.

Comment

I bought one of the Pittsburg (HF) cranes a little over 3 years ago, found out it wouldn't straddle my Case 580 backhoe; so I replaced the stock I beam with a 1" taller I beam that's 12' long, added corner braces that're wide enough apart NOT to restrict travel for the trolley, replaced casters with 8" ones - still need to replace the hokey excuse for height adjustments - story starts here

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...387658/page-17

And continues for a few pages (at least 4)

Now I can change the distance between posts up to 10 feet and still be good for AT LEAST a ton.

Sorry for the link, maybe when the weather gets too crappy for outside projects I'll try to figure out pics on THIS site again... Steve

OK, I lied; the crane "saga" goes at LEAST to page 28 (about where the "mag drill vise table" saga starts) - might wanna bookmark that link for a rainy/I'm bored kind of day...
          Last edited by BukitCase; 07-23-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
            I bought one of the Pittsburg (HF) cranes a little over 3 years ago, found out it wouldn't straddle my Case 580 backhoe; so I replaced the stock I beam with a 1" taller I beam that's 12' long, added corner braces that're wide enough apart NOT to restrict travel for the trolley, replaced casters with 8" ones - still need to replace the hokey excuse for height adjustments - story starts here

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...387658/page-17

And continues for a few pages (at least 4)

Now I can change the distance between posts up to 10 feet and still be good for AT LEAST a ton.

Sorry for the link, maybe when the weather gets too crappy for outside projects I'll try to figure out pics on THIS site again... Steve

OK, I lied; the crane "saga" goes at LEAST to page 28 (about where the "mag drill vise table" saga starts) - might wanna bookmark that link for a rainy/I'm bored kind of day...
            Thanks for the pics BuckitCase i got many ides from pics members from different welding websites posted.. .

Comment

You're welcome Tack - that thread has 61 pages of my brain farts, SOME of which might even be useful - in fact, the idea for the crane braces started with a post on Garage Journal from a guy in Alaska - I just "complicated" things so I wouldn't lose trolley travel near the posts... Steve

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hoistpg2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	616218
                Originally posted by tackit View Post

That a frame is a great tool, so many times I wished I had one, but my shops celling isn't high enough for what I would like to lift with one. .lights, the door opener, and the chain fall hanging down would take another foot.
                Height as well as width is always an issue in small spaces....My Gantry rolls around inside just under the lights @ about 10 ft and well not go outside anymore without taking the top beam off......but no big deal I just back in now and grab what I want off the truck or trailer........as far as width HF did make it a little narrow....96"-97" which used to be maximum legal width without a permit in the USA and as I have already found out many of the Rental or later trailer axles all measure 102" now which is still legal... After taking a hard look at the top beam width I just re-drilled the holes in the top plate which still allowed for the moment of weight bearing to be under the uprights and that allowed for another 7" of overall width......so were good now ......and on low ceilings where you might not get the lifting height you need a Strong-back works wonders to lower the pickup points without sacrificing overall height loss Click image for larger version

Name:	hoistwiden.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	616217 ..

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoistpg2.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	616218

Height as well as width is always an issue in small spaces....My Gantry rolls around inside just under the lights @ about 10 ft and well not go outside anymore without taking the top beam off......but no big deal I just back in now and grab what I want off the truck or trailer........as far as width HF did make it a little narrow....96"-97" which used to be maximum legal width without a permit in the USA and as I have already found out many of the Rental or later trailer axles all measure 102" now which is still legal... After taking a hard look at the top beam width I just re-drilled the holes in the top plate which still allowed for the moment of weight bearing to be under the uprights and that allowed for another 7" of overall width......so were good now ......and on low ceilings where you might not get the lifting height you need a Strong-back works wonders to lower the pickup points without sacrificing overall height loss Click image for larger version  Name:	hoistwiden.jpg Views:	4 Size:	646.4 KB ID:	616217 ..
                  Great job, good solution too. it looks like it can handle anything you can throw at it. years ago I wanted to build a outdoor jib using I-beams from a closed grainery which was being town down, but the deal for the I-beams fell through. I use the tractor's bucket if I get in a jamb, but it still can't go very high in the shop.

Comment

Great job, good solution too. it looks like it can handle anything you can throw at it. years ago I wanted to build a outdoor jib using I-beams from a closed grainery which was being town down, but the deal for the I-beams fell through. I use the tractor's bucket if I get in a jamb, but it still can't go very high in the shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X