Pickup crane mounted to my welding table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup crane mounted to my welding table

This pickup crane mounted to my weld table has been one of the handiest and best safety additions I have made to the shop. It was handy when I cleaned and repainted the bottom of my Snapper's 48" deck, replaced it's blade spindle bearings, when changing its blades, and when maintaining my generators, or just need an extra hand.

It's going to be used shortly to put a repainted 250 lb safe back on it's shop built stand, the safe's four 2" sq tube legs have had 1/2" steel end caps welded on their bottoms, and have been drilled and tapped for four 4 1/2 "... 250 lb 1/2" X13 studded casters..

Here's the link to the golf cart solenoids I replace my generator and 12 volt Snapper mowers starter solenoids with, ( the steel ones pictured,) no more lawn mower garbage. I keep three of them on hand, but haven't had to re[place the two I put on my generators, or the one I put on my Snapper mower years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...oids+&_sacat=0
    Last edited by tackit; 07-16-2021, 10:21 PM.

Having vertical lift capabilities is most definitely a requirement in my shop. I wouldn’t be able to do a lot of the work without it and it makes other things way easier and safer.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Having vertical lift capabilities is most definitely a requirement in my shop. I wouldn’t be able to do a lot of the work without it and it makes other things way easier and safer.
      It sure does Ryan, The damage done by a life of hard labor sneaks up on a man, I keep telling the SIL to be more concerned about his knees and other joints, but like myself he doesn't listen to old timers. .He's just starting to complain about his joints and his back bothering him. When I was a construction laborer, I had to have the wife rub down the small of my back every morning with Ben*** (B-E-N-G-A-Y) before I got up..
      Last edited by tackit; 07-17-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Tack, I couldn't agree more on the need for "helpers", any and all - here's the way I went, involved modding the HF pickup crane to make it a "mini-jib" crane. I needed the option of picking up at ONE boom length, setting down at a DIFFERENT length from the pivot. Several pics

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...7/post-4922295

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
          Tack, I couldn't agree more on the need for "helpers", any and all - here's the way I went, involved modding the HF pickup crane to make it a "mini-jib" crane. I needed the option of picking up at ONE boom length, setting down at a DIFFERENT length from the pivot. Several pics

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...7/post-4922295

Steve
          That is a great Idea BukitCase, I like the motorized winch idea and how you can slide the load down the beam to get it to where you want to land it.

Comment

Thanks Tack; so far it's worked out REALLY well - if you look at a few of the pics you'll see the FIRST version, using an extra worm gear winch - too slow, tried replacing the winch handle with locked nuts and a drill with a socket; MAJOR PITA. The hoist is MUCH better... Steve

BTW, the table it's mounted to weighs around 450#, plus THAT table is bolted to the leg of my bigger weld table (1" plate top 32"x88", weighs close to 900#) - heaviest thing I use the mini-jib for is under a couple hundred#, so far not even a HINT of tippiness...
            Last edited by BukitCase; 07-17-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tack; so far it's worked out REALLY well - if you look at a few of the pics you'll see the FIRST version, using an extra worm gear winch - too slow, tried replacing the winch handle with locked nuts and a drill with a socket; MAJOR PITA. The hoist is MUCH better... Steve

BTW, the table it's mounted to weighs around 450#, plus THAT table is bolted to the leg of my bigger weld table (1" plate top 32"x88", weighs close to 900#) - heaviest thing I use the mini-jib for is under a couple hundred#, so far not even a HINT of tippiness...
              It looks up to the job, yeah, up grading projects is fun, being able to slide the load would be a nice feature to have, along with the electric winch.

Comment

Yup, those two features were well worth the time to do; once in a while my projects start and STAY at version 1.0, but usually not :=)

Comment

Yup, those two features were well worth the time to do; once in a while my projects start and STAY at version 1.0, but usually not :=)
                  Same here, as time goes by a builder finds ways to improve on his designs..

Comment

Here's an example, the first design was to high after I couldn't stand anymore and had to work out of a chair and shortened it 8 " ?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tackit; 07-17-2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty partial to my overhead hoists.......1 ton in the main bay and 1/4 ton over the Mill here.....and then a rolling gantry at my other shop Click image for larger version

Name:	hoistpalmira.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	616093 Click image for larger version

Name:	hoistbridgeport.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	953.0 KB
ID:	616094 Click image for larger version

Name:	hoistpg1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1,002.3 KB
ID:	616095 with a 1-ton hoist.....The rolling gantry if ya have the room really works well..for just about any project

Comment

Nice setups for handling heavy work, your Pittsburg A frame looks like it could handle most lifting work easily in all but the largest of shops, I think after a welding table some kind of lifing equipment is next in importance, even for lighter work which can be unbalanced, bulky and otherwise to hard to manage by hand. Sheet metal grips and lifting magnets would be great to have too.

https://www.mcmaster.com/sheet-metal-grippers/
                        Last edited by tackit; 07-21-2021, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Heavy in a aging body can take on many meanings.........I don't lift anything anymore unless it's under 50lbs..........most I just slide out of my PU onto a mobile cart and wheel it inside to the hoist...Stuff on wheels is your friend.

Working on a new welding / fixture table also....3/4" plate 48"x 96" on wheels when finished. Click image for larger version

Name:	shopPG7.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	616104
                          Last edited by tarry99; 07-21-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                            Heavy in a aging body can take on many meanings.........I don't lift anything anymore unless it's under 50lbs..........most I just slide out of my PU onto a mobile cart and wheel it inside to the hoist...Stuff on wheels is your friend.

Working on a new welding / fixture table also....3/4" plate 48"x 96" on wheels when finished. Click image for larger version

Name:	shopPG7.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	616104

You're going to have a great welding table when your done, are you using a mill to drill the holes in your table's top? Have you designed frame work for the the table yet?

Comment

On the table is a Milwaukee Mag drill......using annular cutters , goes through that 3/4" plate like butter with the proper lube. And yes just finishing the adjustable legs that will allow the bench top on wheels to be set anywhere from 32"- 41" in 1.5" increments.

Comment

Working...
                              X