Millermatic 200 ser. # HK315734 wire speed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 200 ser. # HK315734 wire speed issues

I have used this welder for many years when it was my grandfather's and am very familiar it's operation. I brought it home to do some body panel replacements and have had nothing but troubles. I bought a new Tweco 15' gun set up to run .023" wire along with new feed rollers. It was constantly wrapping the feed wire around the rollers no matter how low I had the wire speed setting when trying to spot weld. I finally installed the .035 lead, rollers, and wire back onto it and the wire feed wrapping issue stopped but I have a very hard time with wire speed control. It is almost like it all or nothing, way too fast to weld with and when I turn it down a little it just sputters and sticks the tip.
    Something appears to have happened in transport.
    I am open to some direction.
    Pic is not mine but looks identical

I had trouble with our shop’s MM200 just the other day, but it was basically opposite of your issue, the wire feed motor would not engage. I popped the sides off and made sure every connection I could get my fingers on was tight and that apparently solved the problem. So give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyB View Post
      I have used this welder for many years when it was my grandfather's and am very familiar it's operation. I brought it home to do some body panel replacements and have had nothing but troubles. I bought a new Tweco 15' gun set up to run .023" wire along with new feed rollers. It was constantly wrapping the feed wire around the rollers no matter how low I had the wire speed setting when trying to spot weld. I finally installed the .035 lead, rollers, and wire back onto it and the wire feed wrapping issue stopped but I have a very hard time with wire speed control. It is almost like it all or nothing, way too fast to weld with and when I turn it down a little it just sputters and sticks the tip.
      How long was the gun that came with the machine12'? Perhaps It being an old machine and you running thin wire through a longer torch is the problem....Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyB View Post
        I can't believe my post was stopped because I change the way I spelled maybe.

I'll try again., What was the length of the original torch 12'? Perhaps the 023 wire is to soft to push through the new 15' torch. .

Comment

I would have to agree... I have never had good luck running that thin of wire through a 15' lead. 12' max for me on 023-024. The 023 experiences too much spring-back from coiling in the liner and then it sticks the tip and bird-nests at the drive roll.
          The other issue with high wire drive feed is usually the wire speed control PCB if its running wide open with no control.
          If it's intermittent with high speed then too slow, it could be a dead spot in the wire speed potentiometer or like previous poster, loose connection.
          Try pulling the trigger and running the wire speed pot up and down (without striking an arc) to see if the wire does change during that cycle, you should hear the drive motor changing speed.
          Then try running it at low speed for 5 seconds. Cut the wire and measure it.
          Then run it at half speed for 5 seconds, cut and measure. Then at full speed for 5 seconds, cut and measure.
          Obviously you should get more wire each time. If that is the case, then something else is wrong outside of the wire control.

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
            I would have to agree... I have never had good luck running that thin of wire through a 15' lead. 12' max for me on 023-024. The 023 experiences too much spring-back from coiling in the liner and then it sticks the tip and bird-nests at the drive roll.
            The other issue with high wire drive feed is usually the wire speed control PCB if its running wide open with no control.
            If it's intermittent with high speed then too slow, it could be a dead spot in the wire speed potentiometer or like previous poster, loose connection.
            Try pulling the trigger and running the wire speed pot up and down (without striking an arc) to see if the wire does change during that cycle, you should hear the drive motor changing speed.
            Then try running it at low speed for 5 seconds. Cut the wire and measure it.
            Then run it at half speed for 5 seconds, cut and measure. Then at full speed for 5 seconds, cut and measure.
            Obviously you should get more wire each time. If that is the case, then something else is wrong outside of the wire control.
            I like your wire feed speed check Idea Andy, it's simple to do and the results are fast and accurate. .

Comment

Working...
            X