211 Autoset Transformer, Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 211 Autoset Transformer, Need Help

I have a 211 transformer machine I purchased when the changeover to the inverter machines was happening. It has treated me very well and I had no complaints until recently. The problem is that each day when I start the machine it goes through a period of not working correctly. When I press the trigger on the mig gun the machine welds for about two seconds, then stops. Release and press the trigger again and welds for two seconds, On the first occurance this problem lasted for about one minute then no reoccurance for the rest of the day. The period for the issue to clear has lengthened over time until now it doesn't clear. I would appreciate any ideas you may have as to the problem.

What have you done so far? Have you checked any connections or anything in the machine or mig gun itself?

Comment

serial number?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Serial Number - MF021826N

I am beginning my diagnosis efforts today. I will post the results later today.

Steve

Comment

Is there a source where I can purchase a service manual for this machine?

Steve

Comment

Miller's official name for service manuals is Technical Manual. Distribution is limited to only authorized Miller techs. However, they do occasionally show up on epay, but hitting one that matches for your serial number is pretty hard. If the machine is old enough (very, very old) they may provide you one if you call tech support, but not very likely.

Comment

I disconnected the MIG gum and jumped the terminals on the front of the machine. Duplicated the results with the gun. Ran 2 seconds, then stopped. Cover is off the machine and there is no obvious problems such as connections, etc.. Effort continues.
              Last edited by jimmeste; 07-07-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, virtually everything that controls wire feed is on the PC board, and without a schematic, it's pretty difficult to troubleshoot. Perhaps one of the techs will see this and be able to provide some help. If you're an electronics guy, you might locate the relay that controls the drive motor by sound or touch, and trace circuits back to find out how the coil is driven, but that will take some specialized skills. It almost sounds like some thermal issue--something overheating and dropping out.

Comment

No not electronic guy. I thought thermal issue as well, but as soon as the stop occurs you can release and immediately press the trigger and off you go for another two seconds and you can do this as often as you like.

Comment

Without a board schematic, or the ability (and a significant amount of time) to trace out how the circuit works, it's pretty tough to do much.

Comment

Pulled the capacitor and tested - OK. Reinstalled and watched the voltage (at the capacitor and the gun terminals) when the machine runs for the 2 seconds. Goes up to 33.5V then to zero at the end of the run.
                      Tried using the 110V plug and the run time was 1/2 of that on 220V. Found this interesting, but I have no idea what it indicates.

Comment

Talked with David at Miller tech support today. Seemed willing to help, but unfortunately no positive results or ideas. Did establish that we had the correct voltage at terminals 1 and 6 on the board. Called back with the voltage info and talked with a different tech who said that was about all there was to check and that it should be taken to a Miller service shop. That is obviously what I would like to avoid from a cost standpoint.
                        Looks to me like it has to be something on the board. Looking into possible shops that can test the board and determine if and what the failures are to determine repair cost.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmeste View Post
                          Talked with David at Miller tech support today. Seemed willing to help, but unfortunately no positive results or ideas. Did establish that we had the correct voltage at terminals 1 and 6 on the board. Called back with the voltage info and talked with a different tech who said that was about all there was to check and that it should be taken to a Miller service shop. That is obviously what I would like to avoid from a cost standpoint.
                          Looks to me like it has to be something on the board. Looking into possible shops that can test the board and determine if and what the failures are to determine repair cost.
                          There aren't many shops doing board repair at the component level these days. Most are big shops where you send the board and they repair it for a flat fee. That really only seems to make sense for the bigger, more expensive boards. Yours looks to be $325 new from Miller4less or Millerserviceparts and a repair will likely cost $200 or more....not sure that's worth even considering.

Comment

I appreciate your input. I ordered a new board today. I’ll post results when I get it installed.

Comment

Having a spare board laying around, especially at that cost, seems to be pretty cheap insurance anyway. Try getting that board in a few more years and see how much it costs. I just bought a spare control module for the onan genset in my RV. Cost about the same as your board. Unfortunately for that genset, if replacing the module in the field doesn’t solve the problem, anything else will require the entire genset to be dropped from the coach. So it’s piece if mind I guess. Either way, a good investment in spare parts. At $325, I bet it would cost at least that to have a shop look at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X