Air compressor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor recommendation

Air compressor recommendation for mobile welding service? I have a Miller Bobcat 225g. No plasma cutter and I don't believe the 225 would arc gouge. I don't need it to run anything now except air tools, needle scaler, air sander, die grinder and an air blower. What size air compressor would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chas007; 07-05-2021, 06:51 PM.

You will need something around 25 cfm. Should have about a 12 horse gas motor and a 30 gallon horizontal tank. Just pick your favorite color, IR, Quincy, Northstar, etc. They generally have a Kohler motor and lots of different pumps. I like the high pressure two stage that goes up to 175psi.

Comment

I think they make a 13 HP unit with more CFM too...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAM...eature=emb_log

Comment

Saylor-Beall is as good as it gets right now. Quincy still has some good models, like the QR line, but they're not easy to actually find. IR is a shadow of what it used to be and I've read all sorts of horror stories about their current offerings.

Make sure you compare apples-to-apples. CFM displaced isn't the same as CFM delivered (much lower, and real figure). 25CFM delivered is a pretty serious compressor and is going to be expensive.

Comment

I would contact my local commercial or industrial grade air compressor company and see what brands they carry parts for and even give them a chance to earn your business. I’m lucky in the sense that we have several outfits in my local area that deal in and carry parts for all the major brands because of all the refineries here.

My portable rig is an FS Curtis with a Honda motor and it’s been a champ, probably one of the only pieces of equipment I have never had to work on. Ever. I got the wheel barrow style so it could serve multiple functions, but if I had to do it again I would’ve just got a larger tank and mounted it permanently.

I also agree with the statement above about getting a two stage if it’s in the budget. My main compressor in the shop is an old Saylor-Beall. For a 56 year old compressor head, it does a fine job AND I can still get parts for it. They also have some really good customer service, or at least they used to.

Comment

I have a crappy 1.5hp electric compressor I got for $20 at a yard sale, plugged into the 240v outlet on my bobcat. I don't run a lot of air tools for more than a few seconds at a time.

Comment

Double post
              Last edited by G-ManBart; 07-06-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                My main compressor in the shop is an old Saylor-Beall. For a 56 year old compressor head, it does a fine job AND I can still get parts for it. They also have some really good customer service, or at least they used to.
                Luckily, they still do. A buddy at work bought a basket case 80 gallon, 5hp model and had to call them for manuals, and to seek some advice...they were very helpful. I bought an older one and contacted them for a manual as well and the tech guy e-mailed it while we were talking. I got a smoking deal on a nearly new 5hp 80 gallon model so I sold the older one, but it was really nice. I'm super impressed how easy S-B is to work with....love 'em.

Comment

When you find a good, old American company that will bend over backwards to help a guy that got a hand-me-down compressor head, you need to keep that company in mind and be willing to support them. Good service is waning in these “unprecedented times”....as the talking heads on the news keep telling me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushytails View Post
                    I have a crappy 1.5hp electric compressor I got for $20 at a yard sale, plugged into the 240v outlet on my bobcat. I don't run a lot of air tools for more than a few seconds at a time.
                    If you have to groove or gouge something do you use a torch or grinder?

Comment

I use an IR wheelbarrow compressor. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...air-compressor Although it is smallish it does what I need. I do light gouging with 3/16" carbons using an arcair K2000 torch which uses minimal air. Not doing heavy gouging just some cracks or some shanks. It just barely keeps up for that. It's fine for a needle scaler, die grinder, blow gun etc. Probably ok with limited 1/2" impact use but I don't carry one so couldn't say for sure. I got it due to size and weight and have not needed to upgrade. If you are going to work on a lot of heavy equipment you will want bigger than this. This is the absolute minimum I can get away with. This should work for what you describe depending on how much impact gun use you need.
                      Last edited by MMW; 07-07-2021, 04:52 AM.
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by Chas007 View Post

If you have to groove or gouge something do you use a torch or grinder?
                        I know this was not directed at me but I either use air arc or grinder depending on application. Some guys are very proficient gouging with a torch but I have always had access to air arc. They do sell 1/8" and 5/32" carbons which might work for you for occasional use.
                        MM250
                        Trailblazer 250g
                        22a feeder
                        Lincoln ac/dc 225
                        Victor O/A
                        MM200 black face
                        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                        Arco roto-phase model M
                        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                        Miller spectrum 875
                        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                        Syncrowave 250
                        RCCS-14

Comment

Or use a gouging rod, provided your machine is big enough to run one. Several companies make them. I currently have a rod called metal mover, can’t recall the manufacturer...I also have the Eutectic model, can’t recall the series name. The work really well for gouging cracks, punching a quick hole or even making small cuts. Faster than setting up the air arc.

Comment

II saw a neat air arc adapter, fit in a glove box. I have done it, used some big machines, the bigger the easier. I had a tool and lost it in a fire, borrowed one once and Rocky D and I come across someone on the net had a bunch and bought one for 50$ maybe and never used it again. There is nothing better when you need it and as for air comps I went thru some of this and would look for a ready made 13 hp unit, they will make enough for arc and 3/4 air gun with 30 gallon and even some limited inch. I worried wayyyyy tooo much about having enough and was not a problem and battery tools today sooo much cheaper than heavy air for impacts.

Comment

Something about mobile. While you need to do a good job its ofthen different than fussy shop witk and the nature of the things I might be able to do bobcat suggests a guy might be able to get around air? Not to say you dont need it or couldnt use it but I do a little impact, can chisel or scale but really to the work from the service truck torch, welder and 4 1/2 grinder a guy could and should have one cordless..

Comment

Working...
                              X