Miller AEAD 200le

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller AEAD 200le

I lost all weld and 110 power on my machine. I cleaned the rings and replaced the brushes, now I have 110 ac power but no weld power and only 48v on the dc outlet at high idle. When I try to strike an arc I get sparks but cant weld. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Serial# JB493005

Comment

I would go through all the wiring connections up front to the switches...........and make sure there clean and tight.

Comment

I will give that a try. Thank you sir.

Comment

I'll second Tarry's suggestion. Also check the two big resistors R2 and R4. It is very common to develop a bad connection on the bands marked with the arrows. Mark where they are with a sharpie, then clean up the contact surfaces on the ridges of the resistor and inside of the band. I agree there is likely a poor connection somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEAD200LE RESISTORS.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	615800

Comment

Could be the weld/power toggle switch

Comment

I will check the connections as well as the switch and get back with you guys. I'm guessing just scotch bright to clean the resistors? Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Comment

Yep--scotchbrite is great. I love that stuff!

Comment

I cleaned and tightened the connections on the resistors, brushes and checked the connections on the voltage board. No changes. I checked the oms on the slip rings and got 28.8 and 33.5. I checked the voltage board on E and G and got 50v at idle and 104v at high idle. Does that mean the board needs rebuilt or could it be something else?

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Watts View Post
                    I cleaned and tightened the connections on the resistors, brushes and checked the connections on the voltage board. No changes. I checked the oms on the slip rings and got 28.8 and 33.5. I checked the voltage board on E and G and got 50v at idle and 104v at high idle. Does that mean the board needs rebuilt or could it be something else?
                    I loved both of my 200 LEs, I found smaller gage welding leads don't cut it on 200LEs.

Comment

I don't have time today to dig into it--perhaps someone else will, or I'll try to look at it this evening or tomorrow AM. Going to have to get some mpore voltage measurements I think.

Comment

I don't know what the correct resistance readings should be on the slip rings--you could probably call Miller tech support and they would know. If you haven't already, look for any cracks or bad connections on R1, the fine current control rheostat. Seems that if your 115 VDC outlet is OK, the exciter side is likely not the problem. There have been problems on other machines discusses here where the trouble was a bad switch--as 1997CST said, could be the WELD/POWER switch. You can take the wires off of it and check the contact resistance with an ohmmeter.

Comment

I apologize for taking so long to respond gentlemen. I was working with the mechanic at the local weld supply on the testing procedures but I haven't had time to get back to it just yet. I plan to start testing again this weekend. I very much appreciate all of you taking the time to help me trouble shoot my machine.

Comment

So I tested the rectifier (SR2) and the weld/power switch (S1). Both tested good. I am finally starting to understand these schematics a little. I finally found the test procedure for the voltage control board so once I test that and the D4 diode I will let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X